News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Tony Jacklin interview
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:16:30 PM »
For those of you who missed the Tony Jacklin interview this morning, I found it fascinating. I had the pleasure of playing with him one round when he was in his 50's. I had my "A" game that day and shot 68. He shot 63 like it was nothing...nothing. My game was freaky good for me that day and it showed me he was a good 10 shots better than me, and I was a 4.

Now to the interview which was fascinating to me. He talked about his round in the British Open, when he was leading and over the last 36 holes, Trevino chipped in a total of 5 times. He was quite frank about how this was both the turning point and ending point in his career. He had spent 6 straight years on planes, back and forth from Europe, and he never thought "luck" played a part in golf. Travino's chip in on 17 the last day, caused him to 3 putt as he lost his focus not only after that, but gjoing forward in his career.

Exhausted from 6 years of travel, he said he was just never the same hungry player after that. He never again contended in a major, although he did win some tournaments.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Peter Pallotta

Re: Tony Jacklin interview
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Cary - I'd like to hear more about your round with Tony if/when you get a chance. How many years ago was that? (I'm guessing it was not so long ago that one/both of you were still using persimmon woods). Did you play from the same tees? From what yardage? In what areas did you find that the top flight pro had the greatest/most obvious advantage over the top flight amateur -- was it distance off the tee? Chipping and putting? Recoveries? All round accuracy?

Thanks
Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
Jacklin hit one of the most remarkable shots I've yet witnessed.

He was playing the great short-par-4 17th (NLE) at Hazeltine, in Round 3 of the 1970 U.S. Open. His tee shot (a long iron, or maybe a fairway wood) found the left woods. The expected shot was a punch out to the saddle fairway, setting up a wedge to the green and a possible par.

Instead, Jacklin found a wee opening through the trees, punched it through the opening, and bounced it right through the narrow opening between the flanking greenside ponds, up onto the green.

Naturally, he made the putt for birdie, and went on to win our Open by seven shots.

How's this for a pretty swing? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGSz8lHopVo
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:50:31 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Ben Stephens

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
Tony Jacklin is a patron of England Deaf Golf of which I am secretary. Tony is hard of hearing and wears hearing aids in both ears.

At last year's England Deaf Golf Open we were all treated to free lessons from Tony, who also did a Q&A session as well as open the event by hitting the opening drive down the 1st fairway which was a fantastic moment for all of us to witness close by.

Here is a photo of Tony and I at Heythrop Park in July 2013.

The bag is impressive highlighting his major wins which really should have been more than 2 in an era that also consisted of Nicklaus, Palmer and Player.

Tony said golf is 'ALL IN THE MIND'  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 03:03:06 PM by Ben Stephens »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:58 PM »
Cary - I'd like to hear more about your round with Tony if/when you get a chance. How many years ago was that? (I'm guessing it was not so long ago that one/both of you were still using persimmon woods). Did you play from the same tees? From what yardage? In what areas did you find that the top flight pro had the greatest/most obvious advantage over the top flight amateur -- was it distance off the tee? Chipping and putting? Recoveries? All round accuracy?

Thanks
Peter

We were about the same off the tee, maybe he was 10 yards longer. Neither of us were ever out of play off the tee, but his shots into the greens were laser sharp. I remember one tee shots where we had to hit it in the wee corner of the right side of the fairway, he hit it there like it was nothing. The ease in which he hit his shots, the crispness, if we had played 10 rounds, he would have beaten me by 100 shots.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back