News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

Prevailing Winds
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »
I'm still fairly new here, but I haven't seen much discussion about how prevailing winds figure into golf course architecture and whether they have much of an impact on our opinions of holes/courses.

Are there any holes that you think are great when the winds are going in one direction, and not as good in the other direction?

I'm thinking of holes like Redans...Are there any/many where the prevailing winds blow from the left?  Would that ruin the hole?

From the perspective of an architect, is a windier site more or less attractive to build on than a calmer site (all else equal)?

Nigel Islam

Re: Prevailing Winds
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
Matt,
     Another interesting concept is how the prevailing wind relates to a hole. I have noticed that short par 4s downwind tend to be trickier than into the wind. As far as Redans go, I am not totally convinced they play right anyway with today's equipment. I have played 2 Macraynors and the one I played the shot correctly I three putted bc the ball didn't kick left. The other one I flew the bunker (by accident) and birdied it.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
I could definitely see this being the case on some short par 4's, though I'm not sure I'd say it's universal.   #10 at Riviera would be harder downwind I would think, but a hole like #3 at Dormie would probably be easier downwind? 

With that said, #10 at Riv runs almost due south, so I would think the wind would usually be crossing.

JESII

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
Brian,

I think that's pretty close to the prevailing wind. Maybe a bit more helping from the right than straight right-to-left based on my experiences, but pretty close. Was 12 downwind?

Shinnecock may have the greatest differential when the wind turns around of any course I know. Prevailing wind is down on the long holes and into on the short (in general) but turn it around and the long holes are unreachable and short holes are too difficult around the greens with helping wind.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back