News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Re: How does a 15 HCP play the 15th at Augusta?
« Reply #400 on: April 07, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »
The 15th at ANGC is playing incredibly difficult into the wind this afternoon. Lots of players laying up instead of going for the green in two. Reminded of this long and winding thread that addresses the challenges of that approach shot ...

Howard,

Long and winding it was. No opinions were changed, I don't think. But, probably a successful thread in terms of people articulating different points of view and also for staying on topic.
Tim Weiman

Bill_McBride

« Reply #401 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
I sat in the stands yesterday (Thursday) and watched six groups play the hole.   The wind was into their faces so most hit lay up shots down in to the downslope.  These guys are really good, several made birdie. Those who played their seconds over the pond fared poorly, mostly pars, two bogeys.

As a once 15 handicap.... If I had hit my second to the top of the hill, I would have played to the right center of the green with a club that would get me. Past the center of the green.  The front half is death.  Better a bunker shot or a chip.   The scary part is not many 15’s can deal with greens running 12.  I don't see a score under 110 for a 15.

jeffwarne

« Reply #402 on: April 08, 2016, 10:40:11 PM »
I sat in the stands yesterday (Thursday) and watched six groups play the hole.   The wind was into their faces so most hit lay up shots down in to the downslope.  These guys are really good, several made birdie. Those who played their seconds over the pond fared poorly, mostly pars, two bogeys.

As a once 15 handicap.... If I had hit my second to the top of the hill, I would have played to the right center of the green with a club that would get me. Past the center of the green.  The front half is death.  Better a bunker shot or a chip.   The scary part is not many 15’s can deal with greens running 12.  I don't see a score under 110 for a 15.

Perhaps the thread could be changed to "how does a 15 play 1-18" because #1 green would do most in
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #403 on: April 08, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »

Perhaps the thread could be changed to "how does a 15 play 1-18" because #1 green would do most in

Augusta is certainly a course that at once makes you yearn to have the chance to play it, and yet cower at the thought of what it would almost certainly expose in your game.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back