News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

RMGA Internship Opportunity
« on: April 05, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »
Richard Mandell Golf Architecture is seeking a summer intern for our Pinehurst, North Carolina office.  The candidate must be self-motivated with the ability and desire to work with others and multitask in a fast paced environment on various projects throughout the U.S. and abroad.  Successful candidate must possess proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign). Strong 3D graphic skills (3DS Max, Sketchup, Rhino) are preferred.  Strong HTML/CSS skills are also preferred. 
Additional requirements include strong skills in site design, earthwork grading and calculations, planting design, and land planning.  Presentation graphics and rendering skills are also strongly preferred.  A knowledge and passion for golf and its history is, of course, very helpful.
Please send a resume, work samples, and references to richard@golf-architecture.com if interested.

Marty Bonnar

Re: RMGA Internship Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
Richard,
Don't get me wrong - and if I was thirty years younger, I'd be biting your hand off for this job! - but isn't it a bit sad that the primary skills you seek are those of a CAD jockey and that the love of and interest in golf is last on your list... Ah, well, that's progress, I guess!!! ;)

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »
Unfortunately, the love of golf is not as important as the practicalities of a specific skill.  That said, I've never hired someone who wasn't a golfer and in love with the game.  Nor will I.  But I've also never hired anyone that doesn't have certain skills necessary for our business.  Even those who decide they want to do it solely in the field and leave their respective businesses for it will still have to learn how to manipulate a bulldozer.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly!
Trust me, as one who has been around since letraset, parallel motions, set squares and rotring pens and who made the very early transition to AutoCAD and Photoshop, I am only too aware of the requirements of the industry!
I guess Oculus Rift and 3D printers will be the next big things!!!
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »
Thank God for computers or my hand printing would have sunk me long ago, regardless of talent, knowledge of golf architecture, or a love of golf.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 02:48:34 AM »
Wow, so Golfclubatlas is now a job recruitment site.

Richard, your 'job advert' says exactly what you expect the candidate to bring to the job. What would worry me as a prospective Intern would be it appears that the successful candidate would be spending a summer inputting plans into CAD and preforming other general office duties for free. The other thing which would worry me and stop me from applying is a total lack of information on what your company can offer the internship candidate. Your company gets free labour but what does the internee get out of it ???

Jon

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 06:24:26 AM »
Jon,

I showed Richard Mandell's kind offer to my daughter, a junior golfer and prospective architecture student.
Her response: "I could so do that!"

It's all about attitude.

Lyne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 06:57:51 AM »
Jon,

I showed Richard Mandell's kind offer to my daughter, a junior golfer and prospective architecture student.
Her response: "I could so do that!"

It's all about attitude.

Lyne

Lyne,

I am sure your daughter could do the job but that was not my point. Internships are supposed to offer young people the chance to gain work experience and expand their knowledge in a certain field in return for working for little or no remuneration. The description given in the OP certainly covers the first part by describing the exactly what the applicant ALREADY needs to be able to do but it is sadly lacking in what the internee will get out of it.

It has got nothing to do with attitude and though I am sure you did not intend it as such I find your comment comes across as somewhat snide and misplaced. I still believe that Richard should explain what the job offers not just what is expected.

Jon
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:16:59 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 07:34:23 AM »
Thank God for computers or my hand printing would have sunk me long ago, regardless of talent, knowledge of golf architecture, or a love of golf.

Richard,

My hand lettering has gone way downhill since CAD, too.  Not a big deal, but one of those things us old school architects always feel bad about.

If you would accept this weird Vectorworks junkie, I might just apply!  Might be fun to be an intern just before retirement, a la that DeNiro/Ann Hathaway movie.........
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Connolly

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:20:07 AM »
Richard,

Cool. I think this is a near-perfect site to share this kind opportunity. If guys can round up foursomes for a round of golf here, a job listing that may change the direction of some kid's life is at the very least an equitable thread.

Lyne,

Best of luck to your daughter. Love the enthusiasm. Win win.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 08:48:35 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly!
Trust me, as one who has been around since letraset, parallel motions, set squares and rotring pens and who made the very early transition to AutoCAD and Photoshop, I am only too aware of the requirements of the industry!
I guess Oculus Rift and 3D printers will be the next big things!!!
Cheers,
M.

Missed this one.  Do you recall Leroy lettering devices?  Killian and Nugent loved those, even though they had no style.  then, there were the rub on letters (letraset, I think) I recall working all night on a rendering for the bosses, only for them to come in the next morning and immediately noticing I had left out one letter of the clients name.  Since we were working directly on chipboard, that was hard to fix.

Dick's daughter worked for a drafting store, and got free over runs that didn't sell, so we got about five years worth of "Souvenir Bold" sheets that greatly affected their graphic look.  The most popular types of the time were Helvetica and Arial (still popular) Then, there were the "Kroy" lettering machines, which stamped letters on transparent sticky tape that you put on the drawings.

Then, there was CAD and Word, with literally dozens or hundreds of type choices, and most still choose Arial or a variation.  There was even a type that replicated architectural lettering, but that felt like cheating......

I have lately experimented with Candara, Century Gothic and Toledo typeface (feel like that kid in "The Middle" who is obsessed with fonts......) as there is some thought that its time to change long used fonts to update plans look to 2016........

But, for all the tech and look changes, architects of all types are still notoriously bad spellers and poor technical writers as well.  I have told the story before, but for years our plans and specs called for the contractor to install work with "free form defects" (instead of free FROM defects) because that passed spell check, and we didn't perform our own old fashioned eyeball test well enough.

PS- Richard, sorry for thread drift!

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:57:01 AM »
Looks like a great opportunity, Richard. If I were an college aged aspiring architect, this would be an incredible deal. How cool would it be to spend a summer in Pinehurst? Not only working but being able to go around and study the great courses there. Talk about cool hands-on experience. 
H.P.S.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
Dear Jon,

Where in my "advert" did it say anything that the intern would be expected to work for free?  I pay and I pay well.

For your information, the prospective intern would get as well-rounded an experience as anyone will ever get, running the gamut of CAD work (as most LA interns do) to weekly site visits walking side by side with me on construction projects.   The intern will experience how the business really works with regard to preparing proposals, marketing, design and construction.   Any of my past interns will tell you they never thought they would get such an experience. The opportunity to work daily with the Principal in a firm usually doesn't happen for interns, but it does with RMGA.  I am an open book for them as well from the work at hand to where they are with their professional lives and goals.

I just usually don't mention all that in my "advert".

Please don't respond to this by telling me that maybe I should mention it next time and I would get better interns because I have no trouble in that department.

Considering what this website is, my request would be more appreciated than a mention in the white pages somewhere.

Please  don't assume things and if you wonder why more professionals don't interact as much as some may like on this site, it is because of the ridiculous mis-information and assumptions that come out of the most tame threads.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:48 AM »
Dear Jon,

Where in my "advert" did it say anything that the intern would be expected to work for free?  I pay and I pay well.

Generally internships are low or no pay you never mentioned anything about pay so it is natural to assume the former not the latter

For your information, the prospective intern would get as well-rounded an experience as anyone will ever get, running the gamut of CAD work (as most LA interns do) to weekly site visits walking side by side with me on construction projects.   The intern will experience how the business really works with regard to preparing proposals, marketing, design and construction.   Any of my past interns will tell you they never thought they would get such an experience. The opportunity to work daily with the Principal in a firm usually doesn't happen for interns, but it does with RMGA.  I am an open book for them as well from the work at hand to where they are with their professional lives and goals.

and that is all I asked for

I just usually don't mention all that in my "advert".

Please don't respond to this by telling me that maybe I should mention it next time but really any balanced job advert should show what is required from the applicant and what the applicant can expect in return and I would get better interns because I have no trouble in that department.I am sure you do but not what my point was

Considering what this website is, my request would be more appreciated than a mention in the white pages somewhere.Not the point I was making so no need to justify your OP

Please  don't assume things and if you wonder why more professionals don't interact as much as some may like on this site, it is because of the ridiculous mis-information and assumptions that come out of the most tame threads.

Richard,

my first post was not meant as a criticism of your OP but rather pointing out the lack of information contained within. I have worked in the golf industry for quite a few decades and have never seen a serious job advert which did not contain a balanced description of requirements and rewards until your OP. My posts have not been an attempt at mis-information but rather an attempt to clear up a lack of information.  I am sorry that asking you what you offered the applicant in this position has upset you so much, this certainly was not the intention.

Jon

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 08:13:26 AM »
Jon,[/size]You could have just as easily assumed that the internship was paying instead of naturally assuming the opposite.  Assumptions in general are a problem. There are many internship advertisements that are crafted like mine in our field (golf design and landscape architcture) and I have never had any feedback such as yours in this regard in all my years in the business.  The whole commentary is just not what this website should be about so let's just move on and focus on other things.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:34 AM »
Jon,[/size]You could have just as easily assumed that the internship was paying instead of naturally assuming the opposite.  Assumptions in general are a problem. There are many internship advertisements that are crafted like mine in our field (golf design and landscape architcture) and I have never had any feedback such as yours in this regard in all my years in the business.  The whole commentary is just not what this website should be about so let's just move on and focus on other things.

Small talk?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

nuff said ;D

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 05:18:58 PM »
This is what my last post was supposed to say:  "Jon, you could have just as easily assumed that the internship was paying instead of naturally assuming the opposite.  Assumptions in general are a problem. There are many internship advertisements that are crafted like mine in our field (golf design and landscape architcture) and I have never had any feedback such as yours in this regard in all my years in the business.  The whole commentary is just not what this website should be about so let's just move on and focus on other things."

But it really is irrelevant in the grand scheme of life when Brauer points out the obvious.  It is small talk that just doesn't matter. Big smiles all around.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »
Rich,

Yeah, but you never said if you would accept my app as intern?  I guess that's a big no? LOL

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 10:16:45 PM »
Jeff,

You're hired. But do I have to pay you?  Only if you bring some of that Souvenir Bold.  I was a Zapf Chancery font fan back in college.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 09:48:26 AM »
Souvenir doesn't even show up in Word or other computer programs anymore.  Fonts change, I guess.

I was hoping to make minimum wage as I edge towards retirement.....its RMGC or Walmart greeter.......LOL

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
Make sure you ask for a receipt before sending someone to customer service for a refund.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back