News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A_Clay_Man

Black Mesa Visited
« on: August 13, 2003, 11:25:55 AM »
As a prelude to the upcoming sanctioned golfapalooza ;D...

I was fortunate to have the oportunity to visit La Messilla (ma' see ya) for my virgin exposure to Black Mesa Golf Club. The first thing one notices after turning off Hwy 84 are some slivers of fairway hugging closely to the actual rolling topography. If that isn't enough to get the mental juices going, From the moment you enter thru the gates, feelings of a couple of Nebraska's newest and best are dominate. From the gravel road to the sight of the clubhouse, Wild Horse was all I could think of. After being told we had to tee off NOW  :'( the first hole brings your mind right to the other more famous cornhusker gem. By no means is this to imply they are the same, it is more of a similar feeling caused mostly by the movement of the land, the texture of the centerline nastiness or hazardous looking areas and the need for the golfer to not only evaluate whats the proper play but combine that with the individual golfer's anticipated ability, for that shot.
Cader-like looking adobe mounds, combined with sandstone mesa's are the re-ocurring natural motiff that Baxter Spann used as, if not more, effectively than Jim Engh's Redlands Mesa or Rick Phelps' Devil's thumb. Both these Colorado gems jet into the mind as one goes along experiencing the "total" package at Black Mesa. Massive, wildly undulating bent grass greens are the ultimate opponent and are a very worthy adversary. The nines each have a fabulous short hole and the par fives are as thought provoking as any I've seen. The fours and threes are all strong with each hole having it's own unique character mostly created by the land and the uncertainty created by the lack of total visibility.

I guess I could go on and on but the hope is that this will wet the appetite for those that will be here on Sept. and maybe convince any of you fence sitter's to go ahead and book flights and hotel.

One last note on the management. After talking briefly with the GM I was convinced these guys have the attitude and understanding of what makes good golf and good golf management, they stressed it "was all about the golf".

I had to pinch myself to make sure this wasn't all a dream. ;D

RJ_Daley

Re:Black Mesa Visited
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 12:51:28 PM »
Adam, your mission to appetize is clearly a success! 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 01:23:05 PM »
Misser Mayor- Is that by the number of responses :'( or just your stomach rumbl'in? ;D

I recommend everyone go to their warped gymnasium floors and practice putting. Don't waste time with those little humps, find a buckle with some serious elevation change.

While the greens were the epitome of what some will undoubtly cry as "unfair", the only argument I can mustar is that my cart partner and I had nine birdies for the day, while our third had none, but he kicked our arse, match and medal.

The course gives you, the player, the decision to play safe safer safest and/or not. Some options incorporate width while as the nines progress so diminishes the width. Ground game ruled! Best example is the short 500ishyd par 5 that goes severely uphill ala #1 at Tilden Pk. with a serpentine ultra-penal narrower look. Major fun.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 02:03:30 PM »
 "Hallelujah!"

Alas, I am chained down in my yard and cannot even peek over the fence of which I wish I were sitting.  Then I could at least watch.  

A golf voyeur?  Sounds sorta creepy.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 03:03:12 PM »
So Adam, you're an old Tilden Park-er?  That first hole is the world's longest 470 yard hole, followed by the world's weirdest par 4 (think duckhook 5 iron tee ball)!  I think Kevin Reilley plays a lot of golf there too.   Great funky, quirky layout.  Anybody have any idea who the original designer might have been?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 03:17:03 PM »
Thanks for the update Adam.  Its good to see some of my West teamates benefiting from the home course advantage.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in September.

Cheers,
Brad

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 03:50:44 PM »
Brad- Knowing is only the boobie prize. It will be the bounce of the ball on that firm ground that will decide victory. Ignorance is often bliss, as my five birdies exemplified.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 09:36:41 AM »
Adam,
Great to hear you made it out to BM.
Any favorite greens or holes or shots?
Did you only play it once?
Do you recall most if not all of the holes?
Cheers
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 11:28:47 AM »
Adam / gentlemen:

The folks at Black Mesa -- get it in a big way!

They understand that it's the golf that brings the golfers -- not the focus on people who just happen to play golf.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 04:40:34 PM »
Bill Mc- Yes, I have been fortunate to play both Tilden and Chabot. Your description of the opening holes is accurate but also goes to show how good different from standardized can be.

Mike N- I  played it twice and I would be hard pressed to find a shot or hole I didn't like. I think I can remember them all even though I rode. The tenth hole comes to mind as one of my favorites. I was fortunate to use the center nose about 60 yds short of the green to propel my ball to roll on or close. The pin was on that shelf and we had a blast watching the attempts to get it in/near the hole. The 16th was a blast. the 17th was really cool with the all uphill carry on the left, and the short holes were both, absolute riots to play. With greens like those you couldv'e mailed in the rest but I will be the first to state that I'm glad you didn't.

I  did find two whole things I don't like, but I will save it for a face to face, so you can see in my eyes the lack of bullshit. One hint, they really aren't part of the golf, so in the scheme of things... it just doesn't matter. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back