News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Re: Save Goat Hill (Oceanside, CA)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Kudos to John Ashworth and Tom Doak for wanting to save this municipal course.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
I just spent three days in Oceanside, hit ball at two different area driving ranges, and didn't even know it existed.
No doubt it would be right up my alley ;)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »
Is saving it really the best thing? It’s a 4400-ish yard executive 18 holer. The proposal is to turn it into a 9 hole kids course, six soccer fields, and some commercial developments. I could do without the commercial developments, but I’ll happily sign on to giving kids a place to learn to play golf and also some soccer fields.

I’d be intrigued to see what Tom Doak did with an executive-length 18 holer just like anyone else, but I’m no less intrigued to see what he might do with an executive-length 9 holer. Is losing 9 holes really a big deal, and does it automatically mean that Renaissance won’t be involved?

It just seems to me that if the goal is to provide affordable, youth-friendly golf, a 9 holer does that as well as an 18 holer does. I'd be disappointed if they wanted to get rid of the course altogether, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Is saving it really the best thing? It’s a 4400-ish yard executive 18 holer. The proposal is to turn it into a 9 hole kids course, six soccer fields, and some commercial developments. I could do without the commercial developments, but I’ll happily sign on to giving kids a place to learn to play golf and also some soccer fields.

I’d be intrigued to see what Tom Doak did with an executive-length 18 holer just like anyone else, but I’m no less intrigued to see what he might do with an executive-length 9 holer. Is losing 9 holes really a big deal, and does it automatically mean that Renaissance won’t be involved?

It just seems to me that if the goal is to provide affordable, youth-friendly golf, a 9 holer does that as well as an 18 holer does. I'd be disappointed if they wanted to get rid of the course altogether, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jason:

I think the nine-hole kids' course is a recent addition to the developer's proposal so it will look like there is more of a public component.  My understanding is that the land was gifted to the city many years ago as public, open space use, and now the city is looking to sell it to a private developer instead of leasing it to a guy who wanted to preserve the golf component whole.  That ought to be the subject of a multi-year lawsuit, but only one side is motivated to spend the money to fight such a case, and that's the developer.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:46:50 PM »
I see. Thanks Tom. That makes more sense. I thought the commercial components were odd but didn't really have a hard objection to the public components at least.

I do like the idea of a course that's closed now and then for general public use, and it sounds like a cool project.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 05:01:54 PM »
My introduction to Goat Hill was it being a site of a 2012 Hundred Hole Hike with John Ashworth, Matt Ginella and others.  Here's Matt's resulting article:

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2012/08/108-holes-in-one-day-the-goat.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
I played this course a couple of times while I was going to college in North County San Diego.  I was very cheap, and actually a very fun golf course.  I enjoyed the quirk, but most of my playing partners didn't really get it. 

One thing I always remember about this place is one of the holes has a blindish tee shot over the crest of a hill, and my friend hit his tee shot thinking it was clear.  We start driving up the fairway to look for our balls and all of a sudden a ball comes firing back at us, I guess the old foreign single ahead wasn't too happy about his tee shot so he decided to hit it back at us.  It ended up being a long arguement.  Anyways, the course is actually pretty fun.  If Tom Doak got to have his free reign on that property, holy moly, it would be amazing. 

Josh Bills

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
On the SAVE GOAT HILL Facebook page it is claiming it was saved. I don't have a link but that was posted 3 hours ago along with the message "THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT WE DID IT!!!"  I have no independent knowledge to confirm this, just passing on what was posted.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
On the SAVE GOAT HILL Facebook page it is claiming it was saved. I don't have a link but that was posted 3 hours ago along with the message "THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT WE DID IT!!!"  I have no independent knowledge to confirm this, just passing on what was posted.

Great news:

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/19/goat-hill-oceanside-golf-soccer/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
Good news indeed.  John does not have the lease on the course yet, but at least it isn't going to be developed into a soccer stadium.

Tim Book

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:03:37 PM »
I have lived in SD for 25 years and have never made it to Goat Hill.  Sounds like I need to check it out.   

Tom would you potentially characterize Goat Hill as a San Diego version of Common Ground?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:24 PM »

Tom would you potentially characterize Goat Hill as a San Diego version of Common Ground?

Tim:

The motivations are the same, but the projects are different.  At Common Ground we had 200 acres to work with and $4 million that the Colorado Golf Association had saved up for the project.  Goat Hill is probably half the size, and I have no idea what our budget will be, but it will be well short of $4 million.  And that's assuming that John is able to finalize the lease arrangement he's proposed, which I don't know to be a done deal, yet.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
Great news.  That area in particular can use all the reasonably priced fun golf it can get.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Thurman

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 03:37:24 PM »
Tom, are you able to discuss whether the project scope involves keeping the course at an "executive" length? It would be fun to see the Renaissance team do something at that scale.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
Tom, are you able to discuss whether the project scope involves keeping the course at an "executive" length? It would be fun to see the Renaissance team do something at that scale.

Jason:

We haven't decided for sure what we are going to do.

The possibilities are limited by the size of the property; there is no way it could be a full-length 18 holes or even close.  It can be either an "executive" 18 or a full-sized 9-hole course [which it was originally, when there was a club attached], or possibly something that can be played either way, on different days.  Generally, though, John loves the course that's there and doesn't want to change the vibe too much.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 12:06:26 AM »
I played Goat Hill Park today after Camp Pendleton. There were a ton of kids at the range and there also was a young kids event at the 18th hole as I was finishing up:

It has lots of quirk for a 4400 yard 18 hole course:

And it has the GCA approved logo designed by John Ashworth who is a big supporter of the course and was teeing off on #1 with a group of younger kids as I was finishing up:

The place had a great vibe....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:52:42 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »
I go there when I want to walk sometimes, it's really a cool place and while short a beast of a walk. Very hilly. They have done an amazing job with reducing water usage while upping the conditioning.

Greg Gilson

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 05:36:54 AM »
I am sooooo proud of Adam Scott & Geoff Ogilvy for supporting this initiative!

PS. But I am a biassed Aussie

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 08:00:35 PM »
I am sooooo proud of Adam Scott & Geoff Ogilvy for supporting this initiative!

PS. But I am a biassed Aussie

The Irish are carrying this place! :)

From the guy who is really carrying Goat Hill:

[/size]
Good News - I’m sure you’ve all heard the by now, but in case not - We officially received the
30 year lease extension from the City of Oceanside!!  Special thanks to all of you who have been supportive and continue to support our efforts!

It’s exciting to see our Goat Hill Golf Club membership growing every week with really cool people that respect and enjoy the Goat.
Not everyday we get a PGA tour winner that finds his way up the hill and gets so turned on by the ‘real’ golf experience of our sporty course that he joins the GHGC. Then, proceeds to win our inaugural Goat Hill Golf Club Stroke Play Championship.
Please welcome Dean Wilson to the GHGC. We are proud to call him a member,  and all our single digit players will be gunning for Dean in the next tourney.

Bad News - Sorry to say we will be closed this Saturday, November 5th for a private event for the day. Typically, we would try and just work around the event and still be open, but this event will include a few hundred people and a lot of moving parts. Thank you for your patience. The silver lining is that we are being forced to "up" our game to get things in great shape. You will love it.

Speaking of events, please let us know if you would like to have your holiday party, tournament, or any other kind of party up at Goat Hill Park. We have a great patio/bar space and we will be ready to help you host it!
Inquire here.

November will be a critical month for us to get all the construction complete for our reclaimed water hook up. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes smooth, and please excuse our dust as we will be trenching up in the parking lot a few days this month. We will try and make it quick.

Please continue to come up and play 9 or 18, grab a beverage, hit the range or just enjoy  our sunny patio seating and watch the football games up here on the Hill -- any support means a lot.

Notes:
A.) Our Friday 9 hole Skins Game time will be moving to 2:45pm beginning next week due to the clocks moving back
B.) Take advantage of
the Professor's $10 clinic - Professor Peter Beames is World Class!... And ready to teach the Working Class!
C.) Any
GHGC member that has a friend join will get a free GHP hat or t-shirt of their choice from inside the shop

Play Well, Play Fair, Play Fast,[/font][/size]
[/size][/font]
[/t][/t][/size]
[/t][/size]
[/size]
John Ashworth
[/size]
[/t]
[/size]
[/size][/color]
[/size]San Diego Union Tribune: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-goat-hill-20161011-story.html

The Coast News:
http://www.thecoastnews.com/2016/10/21/goat-hill-park-partners-renew-lease/

[/font][/size]
[/size][/font]
[/t]
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back