News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

I played in an inter-club event yesterday in Sydney, and after the golf, while having a few beers, talk turned to great golf courses.

A bloke sitting opposite me chimed in and said, "there's a great website you all should take a look at, it's called golf club atlas..."

I said I was familiar with the site and he excitedly asked me: "Do you know Ran Morrissett?"

Turns out this guy works in IT and got to know Ran quite well when GMBF was living in Sydney.

He told me how they were discussing golf one day and Ran said he was a member at Newcastle GC 2hrs up the motorway. The bloke had never heard of it, so Ran took him to see it.

He said that was a EUREKA! moment and he got hooked on great golf courses, and has sought out the likes of Pasatiempo while on trips overseas.

He dreams of visiting Pine Valley and is looking at organising a trip to the US around the Crump Cup so he can see it in the flesh. When he is having trouble getting to sleep at night he passes the time by playing Pine Valley in his mind - the visualisations fuelled by the pics and discussions on GCA.

Another guy at the table was talking about why he enjoys the maintenance meld of links courses, but also understands why parkland and tropical courses have a different reality and have to do things slightly differently.

It's often said on GCA that the things we like and the beliefs we hold are limited to "1500 or so wingnuts" and that no one else sees the golfing world the way we do.

While the pool may still be relatively small, it's nice to discover sometimes that there ARE people out there who care about great golf, meaningful architecture and the way the game has traditionally been played.

Steve Salmen

Weren't we culled to 1200?

Scott Warren

True. Presumably the other 300 didn't lose all interest when they were culled!

Garland Bayley

Weren't we culled to 1200?

We were culled, but then the membership list was allowed to grow again and we currently are at 1606.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

So there we have it. 1606 - there's definitely more than 1500 of us... (maths has never been my strong suit but I'm fairly confident about this one)

Nigel Islam

I wonder what percentage of the world's courses have been collectively played by the 1606?

Bill Brightly

I wonder what percentage of the world's courses have been collectively played by the 1606?

I bet the answer is over 90%. There are approximately 32,000 courses. Assume the average number of courses played by a gca member is 100 (probably low) and that is a lot of course coverage.

Doug Siebert

I bet the answer is over 90%. There are approximately 32,000 courses. Assume the average number of courses played by a gca member is 100 (probably low) and that is a lot of course coverage.

I don't know, there are a lot of Doak 1s and 2s out there in small towns and while most of us may play one from time to time, we aren't exactly seeking them out.  How many hundreds of courses are in there in my home state of Iowa, for instance?  Have GCAers played 90% of them?  I'd be surprised if the number is 25%, because there aren't many GCAers who do or have lived in Iowa, and those who visit aren't going to make a trip to classics like Hi Point that's 5-6 miles from me, which would have to catch Tom at a weak moment to rate a 1 :)

Now think of all the other states - even golf rich states in the NE have a ton of clunkers, and unless there are GCA members living near them they are very unlikely to ever be played by one of us.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

RJ_Daley

I'll take a wild stab at it and totally guess that the average GCA.com participant may have played 100 different courses in say 20 year period.  That is only because we are fanatics.  Sure, we have guys that have played 800 and counting.  But on average, even if 100, there has to be great overlap that those in regions or countries have played at least 10% or more of the same ones just because they are the must plays.  If 32,000 is a credible number of courses, and 20,000 are local unrecognized for good design merit, then of the 12,000 left that are of some design-playing interest of the seriously afflicted, maybe 5000-8000 are in the scope of GCA participants, in my baseless estimation.   ::) ;D

But, that is a lot of golf.  Heck, I must have a good .001% of all the cream of the crop of Australia covered by now!  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Goldstein

An interesting question of how many courses have been seen...

How many of the US courses would the American members have covered?
I know that we'd have 90% of the courses in say NZ and Scotland.
What of the 2000 in Australia, Japan?

@Pure_Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back