News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Hillenbrand

Re: Here comes the advice thread . . . our old friend Pebble Beach!
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 10:48:31 PM »
I 2nd Rich's comments about carrying your own bag. I took a caddie this last time, and while I'm sure he wasn't the A team of the caddie ranks, I know he cost me several strokes. Not a bad kid - just didn't (and couldn't) know my game. I didn't find it to be a tough walk.

Surprised to hear the comment about it being over watered. We were there last August and everything but the fairways and greens was brown. Quite a difference from the lushness of 2002 when I was there last.

I'd recommend squeezing in a round at Pacific Grove Municipal. We caught a twilight round as soon as we arrived for $28, and it set up the magic of the MP for me.

We bucked up this last time and stayed at The Lodge, but I found I liked Spanish Bay better. Anyone else have that experience?

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:36 PM »
Rob, anything Mr. Huntley tells you is gospel. Listen to him.

Enjoy yourself and savor it. All the debating aside, Pebble is a very, very special place. Take some time amd visit Golf Links to the Past. Great stuff in there!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 11:20:10 PM »
I 2nd Rich's comments about carrying your own bag. I took a caddie this last time, and while I'm sure he wasn't the A team of the caddie ranks, I know he cost me several strokes. Not a bad kid - just didn't (and couldn't) know my game. I didn't find it to be a tough walk.

Surprised to hear the comment about it being over watered. We were there last August and everything but the fairways and greens was brown. Quite a difference from the lushness of 2002 when I was there last.

I'd recommend squeezing in a round at Pacific Grove Municipal. We caught a twilight round as soon as we arrived for $28, and it set up the magic of the MP for me.

We bucked up this last time and stayed at The Lodge, but I found I liked Spanish Bay better. Anyone else have that experience?

Ryan,

Hopefully, you're talking about the "hotel" not the "golf course"

I found the golf course at Spanish Bay to be one of the great disappointments in golf.

Where should I start ?
The location of the hotel and parking lots.
The golf course itself ?

YIKES

What a site

YIKES

What a disappointment.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 11:55:33 PM »
Weather: like most of coastal California, the difference between summer and winter is less about the temperature, more about the rain -- summer is largely dry, winter can be wet. Mornings are cool but never cold, usually low 50s.

If you have time for more than just your round of golf at Pebble, I would suggest one of the following:

- A round at Pacific Grove muni is worth it, you'll love the back nine through the dunes surrounded by water on three sides, with a lighthouse and lts of ice plant
- Monterey Aquarium, even without kids, it's an experience
- Pacific Grove is a beautiful and relaxing place to stay if you want to stay another night or two without paying Pebble resort prices. A bunch of options there, we've stayed at the Butterfly Grove Inn two or three times. Places to eat in Pacific Grove: breakfast at Toasties, dinner at seafood-centric Passionfish.
- Carmel Mission
- Point Lobos State Reserve -- fantastic hiking with spectacular views

Lastly, I have to put in a plug for Big Sur. If you have a day or two, and love the outdoors, I can think of no better place I have visited on Earth more beautiful and worthy of your time. There's not much to do, except drive, stop, take in breathtaking views and snap some photos, hike through giant redwoods or along/down cliffs to the ocean. Picnic anywhere you can or lunch at Lucia for an overpriced burger that is worth every penny. Enjoy.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »

Thanks, Ryan.

I'll 2nd your comment re: accommodation.  I've stayed at both the Lodge at PB and the Inn at Spanish Bay, and I very much prefer the latter for its ambience, dining options and views.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Yes Pat, talking about the accommodations only.

I read somewhere Sandy Tatum talking about how disappointed he was in the final outcome of the course. Apparently all the areas with sand dunes were supposed to be high native grasses, until the environmentalists came in mid-development and made them leave it protected areas. It was meant to be open links style course and ended up being target golf.

There were many times I could have easily played a recovery shot out of the sand, but they won't let you even walk in and recover your ball!

Robert Kimball

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
I am now having second thoughts about taking a caddy. I kinda thought it was a "right of passage" at Pebble. But, I carry my bag every time I play anyway, so maybe that won't be any different if I did it at Pebble as opposed to my home course.

Why would they take the stuff out of your walking bag? I have a very light stand bag with minimal pockets. I would assume it would have to do with double bagging.

Interesting.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
Yes Pat, talking about the accommodations only.

I read somewhere Sandy Tatum talking about how disappointed he was in the final outcome of the course. Apparently all the areas with sand dunes were supposed to be high native grasses, until the environmentalists came in mid-development and made them leave it protected areas. It was meant to be open links style course and ended up being target golf.

There were many times I could have easily played a recovery shot out of the sand, but they won't let you even walk in and recover your ball!

Kevin_D

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
I am now having second thoughts about taking a caddy. I kinda thought it was a "right of passage" at Pebble. But, I carry my bag every time I play anyway, so maybe that won't be any different if I did it at Pebble as opposed to my home course.

Why would they take the stuff out of your walking bag? I have a very light stand bag with minimal pockets. I would assume it would have to do with double bagging.

Interesting.

If you like taking a caddie, then take a caddie.  If you don't like taking a caddie, then don't.

For some bizarre reason, many on this board are virulently anti-caddie and will use any excuse to bring it up.  There are a few places on the course where, playing my first time, it was helpful to know where to try to hit it, but if you would prefer figuring this out for yourself (though I'm not sure why you would), then by all means, go ahead.  But I don't think your experience at Pebble will be better or worse with a caddie than at any other course.

I had an exceptional caddie, who certainly didn't remove anything from my bag (which is a normal ping hoofer).  There were 2 other caddies in my group (one doubling, the other singling) who both seemed like B-teamers.  I'm sure that, like any course, Pebble has a mix of great, decent and poor caddies.

CJ Carder

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
I've read through all the previous comments and, surprisingly, actually found a place I could add some value! 

First, when it comes to things that stood out about the course, I'm surprised no one mentioned 9 green.  Never in my life have I been faced with a green that seems so impossible to hit.  That may have changed with some of the modifications, but from the left side of the fairway (which is obviously the chicken side), the green looks like it's halfway out in the middle of the bay. 

When we were there in 2004, I played it around the same time you're going to be there and they had recently aerated the greens.  That took away from the experience for me dramatically because I didn't feel like I could hit a normal putt all day.  Obviously you can't change your trip schedule, but it might be worth looking into their maintenance schedule as adjusting your tee time a day one way or the other might make a difference.

Lastly, I don't know if they still do this, but the resort had a deal with Lexus where you could take any car out for like a 3-hour rental period, free, no questions asked.  My wife and I chose the little Lexus coupe convertible and drove 17-mile drive down to Carmel.  That was definitely one of the trip highlights for me.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
Thanks CJ!  I appreciate the advice (from everyone). I never thought about punched greens. I don't care either way . . . .

I figure "in for a penney, in for a pound" and will most likely take the caddy. I just was wondering if anyone on this board had a recommendation because you are apparently allowed to do that. 

My "reservation assistant" called me last week and left a message asking if there was anything PB could do to help out with the golf. I guess I can call her back and ask if I can have an "A" caddy if there is one available at 8 in the morning.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 09:02:03 PM »
Rob,

My playing partner had a caddie who was quite good, his name was Tony. A heavy set guy, very personable and a good player apparently. Wish he would have been mine.

Kevin_D

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
I got my caddie's name - Mark Trettau.  Would highly recommend (if you like taking a caddie).

Howard Riefs

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
Lastly, I have to put in a plug for Big Sur. If you have a day or two, and love the outdoors, I can think of no better place I have visited on Earth more beautiful and worthy of your time. There's not much to do, except drive, stop, take in breathtaking views and snap some photos, hike through giant redwoods or along/down cliffs to the ocean. Picnic anywhere you can or lunch at Lucia for an overpriced burger that is worth every penny. Enjoy.

For the high-end Big Sur experience, make a lunch reservation at the restaurant at the Post Ranch Inn, which is one of the most spectacular hotels in the country. Views, service and food are all worth the price.

http://www.postranchinn.com/dining/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »
Rob -

How was your round at Pebble? Experience on the peninsula? Recommendations for others?

Do tell.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 05:28:49 PM »

For the high-end Big Sur experience, make a lunch reservation at the restaurant at the Post Ranch Inn, which is one of the most spectacular hotels in the country. Views, service and food are all worth the price.

http://www.postranchinn.com/dining/

Howard,

No doubt about it, it is a beautiful setting and the food is very good, but I am afraid I could not call it one of most spectacular in the country. l live thirty minutes up the road and know the hotel well. What ever you do don't pay $1900.00 a night for the most expensive cabin and some very poor room service.

Bob 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 05:53:13 PM »
Howard,

No doubt about it, it is a beautiful setting and the food is very good, but I am afraid I could not call it one of most spectacular in the country. l live thirty minutes up the road and know the hotel well. What ever you do don't pay $1900.00 a night for the most expensive cabin and some very poor room service.

Bob 

Bob -

You're right.  I overstated it. The extent of my Post Ranch Inn experience is a couple lunches, feedback from a relative who stayed there and the various magazine ratings. I'm perfectly content with the Cypress Inn when we visit Carmel, and look forward to returning in a few weeks.

Howard

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back