News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 16 Up!
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2014, 02:33:00 AM »
Hole 17: Par 4, 400 Meters

Hole 18: Par 4, 403 Meters

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 18 Up!
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2014, 02:48:43 AM »
For those interested, I've got the front 9 photos up on One Golfer's Travels as well, which is not limited by the 800 pixel width...

http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2014/02/barnbougle-dunes-bridport-tasmania.html

Thomas Dai

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 02:50:07 AM »
Another splendid course photo tour by Mark. I always look forward to scrolling through them when a new tour thread pops up on the screen. Thanks also for the onegolferstravels link.

Nice also to look through a thread which is golf architecture related rather than yet another OT nonsense thread, far to many of which have being going on at length over the last few days.

atb

Josh Tarble

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 07:53:06 AM »
Yes, thanks for the tour Mark. 

I am amazed at the variety Doak and Renaissance constantly bring to their courses.  Even in pictures, I rarely see features that are similar to one on another of their courses. 

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 04:19:16 PM »
For those interested, I've got the front 9 photos up on One Golfer's Travels as well, which is not limited by the 800 pixel width...

All 18 are up now... http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2014/02/barnbougle-dunes-bridport-tasmania.html

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 04:25:07 AM »
Has the amazing diagonal play, deep trough/depression approaching 18 green been properly named.   On a course rich in amazing landform features, this very strategic, and amazing land form will probably linger in my mind as long as I can contemplate golf architecture and design. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 09:06:38 AM »
The photos when viewed above are pretty damn good but when viewed on http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2014/02/barnbougle-dunes-bridport-tasmania.html they are incredible, amazingly.
Brillo stuff Mark. Well done. Lots more please :) :)
atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
I am still working on a name for the diagonal depression running the length of the FW approach.  It lingers in my mind.  It is like a breaker approaching the beach.  There is a deep trough and then a swell.  "Rogue Green Wave" ?   I' d love to hear other players description or name ideas.  "Valley of Sin' is taken,  but this is a real valley!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 01:29:01 PM »
RJ:

I like "the ditch of destiny."

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

James Bennett

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 02:34:38 PM »
The Ditch has some potential in Australian lingo.

NZ is referred to as 'across the ditch'  (across the Tasman Sea).

Plumbers are referred to as ditch-diggers.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
I had some further thoughts this morning on a run. I thinke one word might describe it well, with the double entendre.

Depression.

What it is, and what you feel when your ball goes there.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »
I am still working on a name for the diagonal depression running the length of the FW approach.  It lingers in my mind.  It is like a breaker approaching the beach.  There is a deep trough and then a swell.  "Rogue Green Wave" ?   I' d love to hear other players description or name ideas.  "Valley of Sin' is taken,  but this is a real valley!

On which hole?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »
James:

The only aspect of Barnbougle that pertains to the word "depression" is having to leave.  So perhaps the 18th is the perfect place for it.

Almost forgot I put this thing together just about 3 years ago now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbo7CkPCTF8

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

RJ_Daley

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 05:23:37 PM »
Tasman Trench of Thrills and Tremors   ;D 8)

Mark, thanks for this photo journey, and Sven for the video.  As I stated in my diary thread, I had hopes for some good HD video, but alas - that may be a lost cause now.  We do have a few snaps from a tablet cam that aren't bad.  But I won't be adding anything to the photo library of previously well photographed posts from Mark and Kyle and a multitude of others, even other non-gca member offerings you can find on YouTube. 

What I'd like to add is just the amazing feeling of pure golf nirvana that one feels at the BD and LF facility. 

Yes, as Tom Doak gives praise, I want to add my uninhibited enthusiasm for the playing sward of fescues on Barnbougle dunes.  lost Farm is coming along nicely, and maybe another season or two from the condition of BD.  Mr. Hill is a genius, indeed.  I don't really have the playing skills to just have these few exposures to the course and make an intelligent assessment of the golf strategy on a real player's level.  As a fellow of great enthusiasm to combine what I have learned and experienced of great golf architecture to the modest extent I have,  combined with my personal joy to play, Barnbougle with the Renaissance team and Mike Clayton have created an indisputable 10 (if we must rate).  It was not an easy walk and carry, not the toughest I've ever had, but enough of a workout for this senior.  But, it is one of the most enjoyable walks I can imagine on a course.  It can be no other way for the architect to give us the 'Full Monte' of thrills and spills that such coastal dunes can offer.  Tom Doak's course here at the BD-LF complex is decidedly more difficult or brawny, in my opinion.  I might liken it to the Prairie Club outside of Valentine NE where the Leyman course is brawnier than the Marsh course, yet both are thrilling and enjoyable in their own right.  In my mind as I mentioned earlier, I simply don't see the need to approach a series of rounds at BD as just competitive low score seeker.  For average golfers, despite wide and option filled fairways, a fellow is occasionally going to be ball-in-pocket from errant shots to the snakeland thick native dunes-coastal grasses that are there.  You must learn to enjoy and have a good chuckle at a ball you think is hit nicely into a green complex and catches a nose or false front, and ends up running away for a real challenging recovery.  And, while some of these features give you the undesired result with a runaway, they offer just as many good rubs of the green with backstops and slopes that get you closer to the hole than you deserve.  And, for those that will often 'just for fun' seek to make the putt on a line not readily apparent yet with multiple slopes and contours gives you an entirely different way to get the ball to a hole position, you will be endlessly entertained.  The real firm and fast fescue surface is the ultimate I have experienced. 

I petered out a bit and ran short of time as explained on the diary thread and did not complete my second 9 of second round in at Barnbougle Dunes.  I intend to make a goal to go back there, long flights and all, if the bounces in life are so fortunate.  I can only rate the experience of Sand Hills, and BallyNeal, and hopefully Dismal River 5th major as close to the feeling one has at BD-LF.  But for a Norte Americano as Ron would say, the idea of half-way around the world to a magical place like Tasmania is just exceptionally thrilling.  To have a bona fide top tier world class course waiting there is the stuff of an epic odyssey for golf course architecture and just golf playing fanatics. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back