News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Examples of man made Streams, burns, and creeks?
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:00 PM »
This thread got lost in the crash of 14'.  I can't find that cool burn for the course in New Mexico someone posted.  Here are some photos bellow from the old thread.  Please post more photos or comments.  Please no Shadow Creek photos, that has been covered.

Peninsula #1a

Peninsula #1b

Peninsula #5

Barona

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:32:08 PM by BCowan »

Kyle Casella

Re: Examples of man made Streams, burns, and creeks?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
Someone else would know this better than me, but is the one on Meadow Club #7 man-made or natural. I know it was not really there before 2005ish (there used to be that annoying tree). I was never sure if they unearthed it or if they created it. It is very penal regardless. Just the right distance from the tee on the aggressive line to make it extremely aggravating. If you bail out to the right, then the second shot is very long! Someone else posted a picture somewhere.

EDIT- this was a dumb question. It is definitely natural. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:42:46 PM by Kyle Casella »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »
This thread got lost in the crash of 14'.  I can't find that cool burn for the course in New Mexico someone posted.  Here are some photos bellow from the old thread.  Please post more photos or comments.  Please no Shadow Creek photos, that has been covered.

Peninsula #1a

I love this look, reminds me of the 12th at Plainfield. If that's man made, it is very well done, IMO.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:57:03 PM »
No. 18 at the Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte.

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:07:07 PM »

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 02:46:37 PM »
Good thread, hopefully more people participate.

Take a look at Ran review of Huntercombe to see what Willie Park did there. 

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/huntercombe-golf-club/

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 04:46:06 PM »
It seems to me that Muirfield Village has man made streams.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 05:43:13 PM »
Bel Air

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
The drainage ditches at Oakmont parallel some fairway edges, so would appear to have been man made a long time ago. 

David Whitmer

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:52 PM »
Shadow Creek

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »
The drainage ditches at Oakmont parallel some fairway edges, so would appear to have been man made a long time ago. 

I was wondering the same thing?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »

I was wondering the same thing?

Thanks Joel, those photos are perfect.   Those ditches apparently go back to 1903. 

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »
I believe Kinloch includes at least one hole with a man-made stream.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 09:54:18 PM »
Ran used this as a cover picture for GCA for good reason.

I'm surprised more architects don't use this type of subtle mounding?

BCowan

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Joel

Thanks for posting, Huntercombe is definitely on my top tier courses to see across the pond up with the TOC.  I am in a Willie Park Jr state of mind....  He was so good at using natural gulleys as well. 

''subtle mounding'' isn't ''current fashion sets the pace''.  Joel you are thinking too logically. 

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »
How about the little creek that runs through Belvedere's 2nd and 3rd (pictured) holes?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30:05 PM »

''subtle mounding'' isn't ''current fashion sets the pace''.  Joel you are thinking too logically. 

You're probably correct.  Framing seems to be in vogue.

Here are 2 others at Huntercombe.

Mike Benham

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:20 AM »
Carnoustie ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 05:20:41 AM »

18th hole Earth (Greg Norman) Course, Jumeirah, Dubai - where the Pro's play the end of season 'Race to Dubai' tournament.

atb

JNagle

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
The stream at the Omni Bedford Springs was not man-made prior to 2006.  During the reconstruction of the golf course, 90% of the 1 1/4 mile stretch of stream was reconstructed as well as the 80 - 120' wide flood-way.  A company out of Lititz, PA - Land Studies designed the system and oversaw construction and planting.  They have also worked at Lehigh, Saucon Valley, Mannies, Tavistock, Brookside (PA), Seven Oaks (Colgate), Yahnundasis (NY) and many other facilities.  One of the top companies in the Country which performs this type of work.  More importantly, they recognize that golf is the priority and work with course owners, members and superintendents as opposed to other engineers who promote only what they think is right and make the course take a back seat to their designs (we have been witness to this).

The stream and its tributary are in play or directly adjacent to the tees on 13 of 18 holes.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:42:27 AM by JNagle »
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:22:31 PM »
I can't find any good photos, but Grayhawk Raptor (Fazio) features a stream flowing into a pond that divides the 10th and 18th fairways. The stream crosses the 10th hole and nestles up next to the green. It's a nicely enough constructed creek, but the incongruity on the desert layout really makes it weird. At least at Shadow Creek, they goal was to make you forget you were in the desert.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 06:34:40 PM »
Someone else would know this better than me, but is the one on Meadow Club #7 man-made or natural. I know it was not really there before 2005ish (there used to be that annoying tree). I was never sure if they unearthed it or if they created it. It is very penal regardless. Just the right distance from the tee on the aggressive line to make it extremely aggravating. If you bail out to the right, then the second shot is very long! Someone else posted a picture somewhere.

EDIT- this was a dumb question. It is definitely natural. Sorry.

Kyle,

Someone once said there's no such thing as a dumb question.  Not sure I agree entirely, but generally I think we'd all be better off if we asked more questions.

The burn on No. 7 is NOT natural, not the part that you're talking about.  We recreated the original burn but in a different location to make it more relevant.  You can still see the landform of the old burn that crosses through the front of the fairway (all mowed as short grass now) and functions as an overflow channel during big rain events.  

"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
Nice to see all the deer on the fairway at Meadow Club!   What a lovely place. 

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »

You're probably correct.  Framing seems to be in vogue.

Here are 2 others at Huntercombe.

Joel

You do realize none of these examples are streams, burns or creeks - no? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 08:05:52 AM »
Sean beat me to it.  No water on any of those Huntercombe examples, even the first example (which is the second hole).
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back