News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re: RACV Club Healesville
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 07:20:57 AM »
Sean

I have a couple of pics on the computer of Healesville of #17 tee shot and #18 hole.  Worth a look, especially the 18th picture.  You can see David Elvins in style as well.  Remind me on Saturday at Notts to show them.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
More than two dozen Melburnians (some from thegolfforum.com and some from gca.com) are venturing to Healesville next month for a Retro Day. Old Balls, old clubs, and hopefully some retro clothing. Lots of persimmon and steel shafts, balata, and some guys playing hickory and Macintyre balls. Should be a blast. I'll post photos of what should be a great day, on a course ideal for this sort of play. Especially with the prolonged dry weather of the last few months. The balls will be bouncing and rolling!

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »
More than two dozen Melburnians (some from thegolfforum.com and some from gca.com) are venturing to Healesville next month for a Retro Day. Old Balls, old clubs, and hopefully some retro clothing. Lots of persimmon and steel shafts, balata, and some guys playing hickory and Macintyre balls. Should be a blast. I'll post photos of what should be a great day, on a course ideal for this sort of play. Especially with the prolonged dry weather of the last few months. The balls will be bouncing and rolling!

MM

Matthew:

I played at Healesville in December with Michael Cocking, and enjoyed it very much.

I look forward to your report, as I am skeptical that the course will be "ideal for this sort of play" [retro day].  To me it seemed that the appeal of many holes was that you had to choose between trying to overpower the hole or playing conservatively.  Several of the short par-4's may be less interesting if everyone is reduced to driver-8 iron.  But, it is still a very cool set of greens, so you're bound to have fun.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2014, 04:45:01 AM »
Tom, I take your point but doubt the day will go the way you feel it might. Especially with a wide range of skill levels among participants. Yes, there is a certain buzz in over-powering a short course with modern equipment. I feel a field with a variety of balls (old 1.62s, Tour Balata, Hot Dots, McIntyre Penfold Reproductions) and clubs (persimmon & steel, or hickory) will find the drive hazards placed interestingly, and the approach play will be very interesting and varied with those greens firm, irrespective of club. Their contours, orientation to the fairway and open fronts will ensure that. Sort of like a group of club golfers touring RM, rather than the pros. I look forward to reporting back.

MM

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 06:01:44 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Chris Kane

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »
Tom, is there another course within one hour of Melbourne that you think would be better suited to retro equipment?

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 06:35:58 AM »
A great day out at Healesville today. 28 of us headed out, in warm, sticky weather. It's fair to say the course is not being looked after very well at all, which is disappointing. Nonetheless, we had a great time using old equipment over the fun, interesting layout. Lots of good shots hit, and the ground game devotees of GCA.com would have been very pleased with many of the strokes played. Many would also have had a chuckle with the attire for the day.

Mark_F

« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 07:00:00 AM »
Bruce looks like one of the Leyland Brothers.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 08:41:06 PM »

Matthew:

I look forward to your report, as I am skeptical that the course will be "ideal for this sort of play" [retro day].  To me it seemed that the appeal of many holes was that you had to choose between trying to overpower the hole or playing conservatively.  Several of the short par-4's may be less interesting if everyone is reduced to driver-8 iron.

Sorry, but could not be more wrong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back