News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Edel

El Boqueron
« on: March 07, 2014, 12:25:33 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to give everyone an update on El Boqueron and the other two plans.  Our intention to build the course north of Austin, Texas never came to be.  I felt that due to the economic downturn and pessimistic outlook on course development over the past several years that my efforts would be better served building my club company.
The past several years have allowed me the space and time to better evaluate the significance of these plans and my expectations in the future.  I was fortunate to attend last years Masters for the first time and I got a greater understanding for what something should be and to hold steadfast for the right chemistry. 
I am optimistic that someone will step forward who shares the same passion I and Mike DeVries have to build something truly special.  I believe the Austin area could still be a viable location as it is growing at crazy pace with an abundance of good land and good climate. 
However, I am not tied to the area besides living here, and would look toward finding that special piece of dirt to bring them to life.

So with this being said, if any of you have interest, or know of anyone who would be interested I am all ears.  I think a potential scenario would be a club that already exist in a good location yet is tired and need of a redesign to keep it viable.  This would eliminate the complexities of zoning and permits, etc. 

Thanks again for those who support our vision and I hope someone has some interest or any ideas.

David Edel

Mark Bourgeois

Re: El Boqueron
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
It's not much of an idea, more a hope, but if you could develop the plans and structure fully enough: Kickstarter?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

David Edel

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 12:57:35 PM »
Mark,

Sorry, but I do not understand your question regarding "develop the plans and structure fully, Kick starter.  Can you explain to me what you mean?

Thanks

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 01:15:23 PM »
David,

I'm not sure what I mean, exactly. Broadly, I think raising funds using Kickstarter might be worth attempting. I've seen -- and funded -- crazier ideas than this one, that's for sure. And some efforts seemed to have raised serious money.

I guess my question therefore is: if you were to attempt to raise funds using Kickstarter what's the best way to structure the offer / request to the community? Would it be a request to fund the purchase and development of a specific piece of property? Would it be as you note to purchase and "renovate" an existing course?

I'm no Kickstarter expert so I'm not sure what type of request, how far along and specific the idea has to be, the financial structure of the offer, etc, carries the greatest chance of success.

A side benefit might be publicity. I would imagine such an effort would get a lot of new publicity. Who knows, maybe someone gets an idea from that effort and comes to you with an offer if Kickstarter fails. Maybe a course operator in financial trouble, I don't know.

Mark

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
By the way, apologies if you were asking something more specific and I have derailed that. I'm just trying to think of creative ways to help.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »
I've wondered if there is a big enough market of people who are willing to contribute just to see something cool get built. Although there are some benefits involved, it's a bit similar to what's happening at Sand Valley and in Northern California at Brambles. Guys are paying a lot of money for clubs that won't have the exclusivity that typically comes with that type of "investment".

I don't know if these numbers would work, but could you get 1000 guys to pitch in $3000 to help get El Boqueron off the ground, with little more than things like 50% off greens fees in perpetuity and invitations to annual or semi-annual founders events once the course is up and running? Perhaps you could start a national society that looks to build similar grassroots courses across the country, with El Boq being the flagship.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 04:53:28 PM »
David,

If you are familiar with the website KICKSTARTER (https://www.kickstarter.com/), then read on no longer.

Kickstarter is a website that helps fledgling ventures (for a price) get off the ground or, in your case, get on/in the ground.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »
David, lets go on Shark Tank and pitch it. Sounds like a good investment for Cuban.

ps...seeing the original Mack drawing is one of the highlights of my golf career.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 05:13:29 PM »
David, lets go on Shark Tank and pitch it. Sounds like a good investment for Cuban.

ps...seeing the original Mack drawing is one of the highlights of my golf career.

I agree 100% about seeing that map.   I had a wonderful experience 10 years ago after playing Alwoodley with the club historian.  Over beers he said, hang on a minute, there's something in the boot of my car you'll enjoy seeing.   Back he comes with Mackenzie's original drawing of the course from 1907.  I got to hold it in my hands, a spiritual experience. 

The El Boqueron map is more artistic.   The Alwoodley map is what's still there on the ground, very few changes. 

I'm going to Austin next month.   Where is the site?    ;D

Sam Morrow

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »
I'd also like to know where north of Austin yall were looking at.

BCowan

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 11:28:58 PM »
I've wondered if there is a big enough market of people who are willing to contribute just to see something cool get built. Although there are some benefits involved, it's a bit similar to what's happening at Sand Valley and in Northern California at Brambles. Guys are paying a lot of money for clubs that won't have the exclusivity that typically comes with that type of "investment".

I don't know if these numbers would work, but could you get 1000 guys to pitch in $3000 to help get El Boqueron off the ground, with little more than things like 50% off greens fees in perpetuity and invitations to annual or semi-annual founders events once the course is up and running? Perhaps you could start a national society that looks to build similar grassroots courses across the country, with El Boq being the flagship.

Jim, I think it is a great idea..

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
I am curious, what value do the owners of the El Boquerón drawings/plans put on them?

Without a site very similar to the one Dr. MacKenzie drew the plans for, even if the architect was able to execute the design concepts in a sympathetic manner, wouldn't the flow of the routing be compromised?

I like the idea very much, and perhaps it could be accomplished on a fairly large canvass, moving a lot of dirt like Tom Doak did in Lubbock when he built the Rawls course.  Maybe on a site with an owner like Wolf Point's?   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back