News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: links golf courses
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 08:27:07 AM »
I know a true links when I see it... That'll do me.

I don't think any definition given above is 100% accurate.

Probably because Steve is looking for a simple definition.  Knowing when seeing is good enough for me two. 

What are (if there are any) some "links" which you question as to their authenticity?

Ciao

Not simple, simplistic. Anyway, if we're still looking for simplistic definitions I'll stick with mine. A links is as a links does.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
I know a true links when I see it... That'll do me.

I don't think any definition given above is 100% accurate.

Probably because Steve is looking for a simple definition.  Knowing when seeing is good enough for me two. 

What are (if there are any) some "links" which you question as to their authenticity?

Ciao

Not simple, simplistic. Anyway, if we're still looking for simplistic definitions I'll stick with mine. A links is as a links does.

Meh.  Heathlands are meant to be fescues as well.  There has to be something mentioned about the location of links - its essential.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 09:38:45 AM »
Sean, that's why such descriptions are simplistic. They misrepresent what's being defined. Anyway, some "heathlamd"  properties are marooned links. It's all a matter of what era you choose.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 11:28:33 AM »
Thank you Sean for clearly pointing out my intention.  It is not to define a links course to someone who knows what it is.  It is to define it to someone who barely understands golf.  The best answer I saw was fescue.  I know there are courses with fescue that are not links courses. 

I also understand a simple definition is going to leave room for error.  If the error is small enough, it won' much matter to the infrequent golfer.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
Sean, that's why such descriptions are simplistic. They misrepresent what's being defined. Anyway, some "heathlamd"  properties are marooned links. It's all a matter of what era you choose.

Mark

Not to me.  Links is of linksland and linksland is near the sea - that is why heathlands are not called links  ;D.  Why folks want to continuously muddle with a definition of links which works very well, I don't know.  Well, I do know, its to cash in on tradition.  Follow the money if want a dodgy definition of links.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Craig Disher

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 12:20:11 PM »
Not to quibble but the fescues found on links are especially evolved types that tolerate salinity. I don't know if they would thrive on inland courses. Anyone know?

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »

Mark

Not to me.  Links is of linksland and linksland is near the sea - that is why heathlands are not called links  ;D.  Why folks want to continuously muddle with a definition of links which works very well, I don't know.  Well, I do know, its to cash in on tradition.  Follow the money if want a dodgy definition of links.

Ciao
THis.  Any definition of linksland that doesn't refer to the proximity of the sea is of little use.  And , no, Ganton is NOT a links.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back