News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

OT - Forged Game Improvement Irons?
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:54:49 PM »
Please pardon the OT.

Mizuno JPX-EZ looks like the ticket.  Thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sam Morrow

Re: OT - Forged Game Improvement Irons?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Very good set.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »
Do you believe for a second that the engineers at Mizuno give a damn about you? The club looks like a total after thought to me that is trying to grab some segment of the market that used to be able to play.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:11:36 PM »
Please pardon the OT.

Thanks.

Why forged? Are you hard to fit so that the clubhead has to be bent to adjust both loft and lie?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »
Don't buy forged, you could get in trouble and aren't supporting all the investment that went into the design.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 02:19:11 PM »
Don't buy forged, you could get in trouble and aren't supporting all the investment that went into the design.

I dont understand this comment.
As somebody close to club design, there is alot more design that goes into a firged iron than a cast one.
Much greater detail and design elements and a much tighter/stingent qulaity control.

To me there is no comparing the feel of he two, forged feels much "softer".
Any of the big companys have good product out there, personally I like the Nike VR IRONS.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26:30 PM »
Mizuno's are the only way to go in my opinion.  I think you'd even be surprised at the amount of forgiveness in the MP-54s. 

Tom Allen

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:40:20 PM »
Good choice, but don't overlook the Callaway Apex and the Nike Covert forged. All three are very nice clubs, with significant game improvement features.  I say hit all three on a launch monitor, and see which one looks, feels, and performs best for you, then get fitted for the one you liked the most.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 02:43:47 PM »
Do you believe for a second that the engineers at Mizuno give a damn about you? The club looks like a total after thought to me that is trying to grab some segment of the market that used to be able to play.

Which company's engineers care more?

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Mizuno makes the best forged irons, in my opinion.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »
I think Callaway has proven a commitment to the hack golfer. They even put it all on the line with a non conforming driver. The competition between Callaway and Taylormade drives a more extensive R&D budget. Once your spin rate drops below your cholesterol readings it's time to ditch the Mizunos.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 02:55:12 PM »

As somebody close to club design, there is alot more design that goes into a firged iron than a cast one.
Much greater detail and design elements and a much tighter/stingent qulaity control.

Any of the big companys have good product out there, personally I like the Nike VR IRONS.

MWP,
Another lame Bourgeois attempt at humour! Playing on the dual meaning of the word. D'oh!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »

MWP,
Another lame Bourgeois attempt at humour! Playing on the dual meaning of the word. D'oh!

F.

Party pooper ! Ya gotta admit, that post had the makings of an epic wind-up.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
Mike - not my place to say, but I'd suggest that, in this particular case only, you "rage, rage against the dying of the light". No sir, you do not NEED game improvement irons!! No sir, you will NOT fall prey to this latest fad/phenomenon!! Yes sir, you recognize that ALL of today's irons -- players clubs and game improvment models alike -- have lower CGs and more offset and friendlier sole grinds and stronger lofts than the irons of yester-year!! Yes sir, you know that you can STILL play with the irons you belive look the best and feel the best and play the best for you, whatever the label/description some recent marketing grad has ladled out for our consumption!!

All that said, if I was in the market for a brand new set of clubs, all things considered I think I'd look at the Ping S55s. They look sweet!!

best
Peter

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 03:39:37 PM »
Forged game-improvement irons are called blades. Get some.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
Forged game-improvement irons are called blades. Get some.

He can have mine...
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

astavrides

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
Please pardon the OT.

Thanks.

Why forged? Are you hard to fit so that the clubhead has to be bent to adjust both loft and lie?

That's why I bought Mizuno's-- bent them >4 degrees upright.

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
Please pardon the OT.

Thanks.

What type of irons are you currently playing with and why are you considering a forged game improvement iron?

Also, if considering Mizuno, have you gone through their fitting process?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 04:04:48 PM »
I have last year's model, the JPX-825, and highly recommend them.  

My only caution is that you get properly fit, particularly for the shafts. I just had mine reshafted.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
Incredibly dumb follow up question:  Are there irons that favor a "digger" of the ball?

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 04:23:49 PM »
Incredibly dumb follow up question:  Are there irons that favor a "digger" of the ball?

If you have a steep angle of attack with big divots then a set of irons with more bounce might be beneficial. The only way to tell is to try them though. Most companies have their bounce angles listed on their website. Also if you bend the iron weaker you increase the bounce by a corresponding degree. (and vice versa)

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2014, 06:05:17 PM »
Please pardon the OT.

Thanks.

Bogey

When my old Tommy Armour 745s died, I bought a used set of Titleist 775CBs - maybe six or seven years ago.  These are by any other name game improvement irons aimed at higher markers.  I spose they are fine except for one deal.  I have always liked fading the ball.  I find with these irons if tend to go left.  I am not sure if that is a deal with only these irons are all GMIs.  I assume part of the design is to limit the shots right and hence why I seem to go left far more often than I used with the TAs.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:34 PM »
Sean,

Sole the club on a solid floor, you should only be able to slip a pound note half way under the sole. Normally the club flexes dynamically and the toe will touch the floor while swinging. I suspect the lies are extremely upright, which encourages a draw; oldest trick in the book!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 06:54:02 PM »
Sean,

Sole the club on a solid floor, you should only be able to slip a pound note half way under the sole. Normally the club flexes dynamically and the toe will touch the floor while swinging. I suspect the lies are extremely upright, which encourages a draw; oldest trick in the book!

Pete,
Sean won't be able to find a 'pound note' as they are no longer legal tender in angleland. Luckily, up here in northern alexland, we still have paper currency of the one pound variety. Who knows what we'll have this time next year, of course!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
Sean,

+1

hate upright irons, esp short irons
and I'm 6'5
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back