News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

To repeat the thread title, Bill McBride asked a question in the Streamsong gathering thread about Europe requiring all credit cards to have an embedded chip.  I never saw an answer posted, and so as I am off to Europe for a (non golfing) two weeks in Germany, Belgium, etc., I'd like to know what's up with this.  If special cards are required I'd like to take steps to acquiring one before landing and rendered indigent by my inability to play the ATMs like slot machines.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re: Bill McBride's Question About Credit Cards and Embedded Chips
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:14 AM »
I can't speak to Europe itself, but if it is the same situation as Canada I have found the last several years that all of their credit cards up there have the embedded chips in them.  They have special machines that the server at a restaurant can carry with them that these chips work with and they scan your card an no signature is required.  When you give them a US non-chip card they give you a bit of a roll of the eyes because they will have to take the card away from the table to run through a different machine and then they bring the standard form back for you to sign like you are used to here.

So again at least in Canada the last time I was there you can still use a non-chip card, but it is a bit more cumbersome.  My Canadian friends looked at me as though I were some kind of cave man allowing my credit card to leave my immediate presence for a few minutes to be processed in this day and age of identity theft.

Don't know if this is the same as Europe but since you said no one had offered an answer I thought I would jump in with what I knew.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:51:53 AM »
I called Charles Schwab Bank, where I have a VISA debit card.  They told me they will be sending out chip-enabled cards in June or July this year.  Presumably this will have both a chip and a strip, since US merchants will have to invest in new technology before use of chips is widespread here.  

I think that most places in the UK still take strips, except unattended petrol stations.  As always I am probably wrong.

Steve, I would suggest a call to the customer service number on your card.  Germany could be a different deal.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »
Thank you Steve I've been feeling like a threadkiller.

I don't know but I would add a note of caution.  When my Visa bills came in following a holiday  last month there was a £2.38(from memory) extra charge per transaction! I don't recall it form 2 years ago.  I will now look for a card specially for travel as they are around and that will save me money in future.

I've also come round to taking more Cash than in the past.  You get a much better rate if you either pre book on line and either collect at a local (agree) store or from the agents at the airport.  And the day when I finally arrive home with some of it unspent I'll be able to transfer it back at the original rate.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jay Mickle

@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 09:05:41 AM »
I don't think you are likely to have problems using an ATM card without a chip.  I've never had ATM problems in the EU (Japan a different story).  Credit cards without chips might be an issue in some places, but generally are just a bit less convenient.  If you don't mind having an extra card, Bank of America offers one with a chip, no fee, and they don't charge foreign conversion fees.  That could save you some money.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
OK, thanks to everyone for their responses.  The link also provided a lot of information.  I think I'm going to get in touch with (i. e. badger) Chase about providing me a card for Europe and beyond.  Anything I find out that I think might be useful to others, I will post here.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 10:00:14 AM »
I generally pay cash for everything except a couple of large items when I'm on UK golf trips.

So it's the ATM question that concerns me most. Like most Americans I have a simple stripe-only debit card that accesses ATM's. Is that likely to function come September?

My debit/ATM card is Bank of America so I should probably contact them about one containing a chip. But the various articles I read online have claimed that such cards are "chip and signature" and have claimed that not being "chip and PIN" is still a big deal whether the chip is there or not.

What I probably really need is a "Fish 'n Chips" card, you can only use it to pay for meals at the local Chippy but it's grease resistant.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:14:23 PM »
So it's the ATM question that concerns me most. Like most Americans I have a simple stripe-only debit card that accesses ATM's. Is that likely to function come September?

My ATM card does not have a chip and I don't recall any issues with ATM usage in the UK.  Well, other than treating £400 like it was $400 when collecting cash.

I've had a look at Bill's original question, and it concerns "credit cards used at ATMs."  I have never done that.  I can use my bank ATM card (which also functions as a debit card though I don't ever use it for that) with no problems.  I've never tried to get cash out using a regular credit card. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 12:20:26 PM by John Mayhugh »

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
I can confirm John Mayhugh's comments that using standard U.S. bank (non-chip) ATM/debit cards at bank ATM machines in Britain is not a problem. Just be sure you PIN number is 4-digits.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:45:51 PM »
John, David,

Thanks. I was hoping that was still the case. My normal usage is like John's an ATM/debit card used only at ATM's.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »
Steve

Chase just reissued my card after the Target compromise and it came with a chip so they have it.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Joey Chase

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 01:14:10 AM »
Here in Switzerland and in France, you can use an ATM with the standard card.  However, many restaurants and stores do not use this type of card anymore.  Just make sure to keep a bit more cash and you'll not likely have any problems.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:30 AM »
Here currenty in Oz and NZ, with Merrill Lynch Credit BOA chip enabled card for no foreign fees, and their Visa bank-debit card with their sister Bank
WestPac for no fees ATMwithdrawals.  I think all cards and issuers are different.  I got the ML-BOA credit chip card before Ieft 

Do not get me started on our ridiculous phone situation with locked and regional and all that crap.  There is no reason the US or regions can't sell a phone unlocked and can interchange regional GSM-SIM cards with no hassles as one moves between continents or territory destinations.   
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 12:00:09 PM »
I called Chase and I go the answer that they don't have the chip card yet, but Ward says he was issued one.  That's the only fly in this ointment so far as everyone else's experiences seem to indicate the debit card will work in ATMs.  The best procedure seems to be take extra cash and leave enough money in the checking account to cover debit withdrawals.  Again, thanks to all.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
Steve,

I have not yet found a way to procure extra UK cash before leaving home that doesn't involve usurious rates and fees. I can draw 200 pounds from an ATM over there at a favorable exchange rate with either no fee or a trivial 2-3 pound fee (depending on the brand of ATM). So it might work out to, say, something like $317 for the 200 pounds (at a 1.560 exchange rate).

To get that same 200 pounds before leaving home, I've never found a way to do it for less than about $340-$350. I know percentage wise it's not a huge amount but man, I hate to spend 30 bucks for "nothing" if I don't have do.

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:23 PM »
I have both the Chase British Airways and Chase Marriott Rewards cards with the embedded chip. Chase has them set up as Chip-and-Signature at this time, not Chip-and-PIN like true EU cards.

When I use them in the EU at a restaurant or store, the cc machine recognizes my card as such, and prints a signable receipt. It's not much different than if they swiped it, and swiping the US-style cards is available in most any tourist area.

But when I tried to use them in an unattended setting, such as a gas pump, train ticket vending or parking payment machine, it didn't work at all--it's not recognized as Chip-and-PIN.

Bottom line, I've found them to be useful only if you're in a place than can't swipe credit cards, which I've only found once in a small town in Northern Ireland. Hopefully, Chase will eventually correct this.

ATMs are not an issue for US cards, in my experience.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
Yeah, Mark, I have a hard time seeing that Chip-and-signature buys us anything over a stripe card practically speaking. Typical USA provincial thinking. Gradually replace the out-of-date, non-standard infrastructure at huge trouble and expense with a slightly newer non-standard version. Then after a decade or so from now we'll be almost back to where we were a few years ago. I'm sure when the rest of the world goes to biometrics and Bitcoin sticks we'll dawdle a few years and then implement chip-and-PIN.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
OK, thanks to everyone for their responses.  The link also provided a lot of information.  I think I'm going to get in touch with (i. e. badger) Chase about providing me a card for Europe and beyond.  Anything I find out that I think might be useful to others, I will post here.

Steve,
Since you're with Chase anyway, you might speak to them about a Chase Saphire preferred card which charges no foreign transaction fees(often 3%), along with a host of other benefits.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
At the B&B we tend to have to get US gueets to sign for card payments, I guess this is a chip issue.

It's always worth having a £100 in cash to see you through initial difficulties.
Cave Nil Vino

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
I just got back from almost two weeks in Frankfurt, DE and Edinburgh, UK.

I had no problem using my non chipped ATM/Debit card to withdraw Euros in Germany and Pounds in UK and charged meals, coffee, etc. Also used non chipped AMEX with no issues what so ever.

Make sure to TELL YOUR BANK that you will be overseas and give them the dates. We have had terrible problems with Chase Fraud protection canceling our ATM/Debit card after paying for my daughters monthly accommodation fees at the University of Edinburgh. I did not bother to inform AMEX of my plans, however.

Also remember that tipping is different in Europe. Waiters are paid a living wage and tips, if given, should be 5-10% at the most generous. Some places did not include a tip option at all.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:00 AM »
I just got back from almost two weeks in Frankfurt, DE and Edinburgh, UK.

I had no problem using my non chipped ATM/Debit card to withdraw Euros in Germany and Pounds in UK and charged meals, coffee, etc. Also used non chipped AMEX with no issues what so ever.

Make sure to TELL YOUR BANK that you will be overseas and give them the dates. We have had terrible problems with Chase Fraud protection canceling our ATM/Debit card after paying for my daughters monthly accommodation fees at the University of Edinburgh. I did not bother to inform AMEX of my plans, however.

Also remember that tipping is different in Europe. Waiters are paid a living wage and tips, if given, should be 5-10% at the most generous. Some places did not include a tip option at all.

+1
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 01:12:40 AM »
All Chase cards are foreign transaction free.

American debit cards work just fine in UK ATMs. The only issue is how much your bank will charge for the transaction.

Call your bank/card's customer service dept and tell them your travel dates. Otherwise you might have a purchase denied.

Save your receipts for any merchandise you purchase... not food, beverages, or services. Everything has a 20% VAT added which will be refunded if you submit a request. Forms are available at the airport. Just ask.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Carlson

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 01:30:32 AM »
Are you referring to RFID chips?  Many people would consider this a downgrade and not an upgrade.  Chase sent my card with this.  I requested a non-chipped card and they obliged.  No problems whatsoever in the UK.  Of course many B&Bs still prefer cash.  Good traveling.

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
All Chase cards are foreign transaction free.

Not so...my wife mistakenly used her Chase Southwest card all over India last month, while her fee-free one sat idle. Expensive lesson.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:21:46 PM by Mark Provenzano »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back