News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steven Blake

Mike Nuzzo makes an eagle and an albatross at Wolf Point
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
I was fortunate enough to play Wolf Point with Mike Nuzzo and some friends this past Sunday and it was a blast! What made it even more enjoyable was Mike holed out on the #18 hole from ~100 yards for eagle. 

In my opinion Mr. Nuzzo gets an albatross for his design at Wolf Point.  For me and my friends, who have all played some great courses we were in a state of giddiness at how wonderful the course played.  Each hole is unique and special.  It’s a one of kind original that should be studied for its importance in the architecture and golf world. 

At dinner after the round my friend said this which is very telling of the design, “Mike, you made me realize today why I love to play the game of golf.”  It was well said, but heartfelt and true. It could be probably one a greatest complements an architect can hear.

In today’s world of 7200+ yard monsters it’s a treat to play a course that is FUN to play. I’m not going to get into what course is better than what because we often live in a world of hyperbole.  But one thing I know that is not hyperbole is that Wolf Point was the most FUN golf course I have ever had the opportunity to play.  It is a course that touches all of your senses and was almost a biblical experience that we haven’t stopped talking about since the round was over.  In fact the only regret is we only got to play 18 holes.

I am not sure if Mike was trying to pick off each of Dr. Mackenzie’s 13 principles but he did so easily.  I piled up quite the score despite the fact I didn’t have to search for balls or hit long irons into every green.  With the varied ability and length off the tee of the people in the group I was amazing how it favored no one and in some cases leveled the playing field between long and short hitter.  Both had to execute but both had an equal chance of success or failure.  Outside of the Old Course I’m not sure there is a course with so many options.

One discussion we have been battling since our round is what holes we thought were the best.  And it’s like any GREAT course you have a lot to choose from and some great debates can ensue after a couple of brews.  But for me the short two-shot holes really stood out like #4, #7, and #10.  The angles of attack, wind direction, hole placement and skill level all come into play.  In fact on #10 the two longest hitters took a double and a triple while the two short hitters made birdie.  All the three shot holes were also varied and interesting.  Angle of attack is very important on the 3 shot holes at Wolf Point and sometime taking aggressive lines pays off and sometimes a failure in execution can be fatal.   And the one-shot 11th hole was a real gem in a perfect setting that kind of reminded of the 7th at Shinnecock, not because of its redan qualities but because of the views and vistas. The finish of 15-18 was also very strong and stood out to my friends as being there favorites on the course.  These are the holes that stood out to me but I truly loved all 18 which is rare this day in age.

Mr. Mahaffey does an OUTSTANDING job of being the caretaker of Wolf Point.  I was speechless but one small detail really stood out to me was Don’s meticulous work with perimeter management on the outer fringes of the course.  The tree pruning and underbrush management was outstanding and really enhanced to look of the course.  I felt like Shinnecock meets Royal Melbourne meets St. Andrews meets the African Serengeti.   Even for being so wet and gloomy this winter in Texas the place still played great. 

It’s a shame that Jack Nicklaus gets to design 400 courses that deter people from playing the game because it’s too hard, takes too long, hits your wallet, and really isn’t any fun to play meanwhile Mr. Nuzzo sits as a one-trick pony. That ought to be a crime!  It has to be one of the best one course attempts in the history of the game outside of Crump at Pine Valley.   I commend Mike, Don and the whole crew for a job well done.  When you walk off a course and say that was one of the coolest experiences I have ever had in the game or life that is really saying something.  My hats off!

PS Thanks for introducing me to Shiner Bock.  I will have to look for it here in Wisconsin! 

Steve Blake
Head Greenkeeper
Ridgeway Country Club

Michael Blake

Re: Mike Nuzzo makes an eagle and an albatross at Wolf Point
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »
You sure his shot didn't end up in #8's hole?  :)
Did he play his tee shot straight or out to the right?

Steven Blake

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
Michael,

Yes Mike came into the green from the right. It was a great shot considering the wind picked up 25+mph on that hole.

Steve Blake

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »
Michael,

Yes Mike came into the green from the right. It was a great shot considering the wind picked up 25+mph on that hole.

Steve Blake

That's not an easy approach shot over all those trees.  Mike is a playa!

Loved your comments and fully agree based on my rounds at Wolf Point.   I told a famous modern architect that I see Wolf Point as America's St Andrews.  He thought I shouldn't say that, perhaps because of the pressure, but I haven't seen another course here with more similar essential characteristics. 

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
Mike & Bill
Steve's "right" is the right side of the carry fairway.  We did all hit our tee shots across the creek.  It was certainly a very cold downwind.
We were standing near the 17th green when it felt like we walked into a freezer with the cold north wind.

Steve
Your comments are very much appreciated and thank you for sharing.
It was a very fun day and great to see everyone enjoy it similarly.
I look forward to playing with you again one day, hopefully to employ some of your post round strategies.

Cheers
Mike
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 03:43:32 PM »
Steven,

That is one of the nicest write-ups I have seen in my time with GCA and it's predecessor traditionalgolf.com.

The whole point of traveling - which a real golf architecture student must do - is to see courses that are unique. I am almost ashamed to say that I live here in Houston and have never seen Wolf Point.

Thanks for the post.
Tim Weiman

Steven Blake

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:03:59 PM »

Tim,

Thanks! Everyone who loves golf has moments that move them in some way that makes it memorable.  This was special because of the course first and foremost but the company, playing with the architect made it special.  The course was great the only time I remember feeling this way was the time I got the opportunity to walk Pine Valley.  I think the biggest surprise for me was the uniqueness of the course itself.  Its hard to be original but this course does that well while still paying homage to the traditions of the game.

Mike,

You're right my mistake you came in on the right-side of the left fairway not in from the right fairway. Because of the cold front that came through Mike didn't have time to come in from the right fairway ... weather forced our strategy. 

Steve Blake

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 07:09:21 PM »
From Wikipedia
"The word albatross is sometimes used metaphorically to mean a psychological burden that feels like a curse."

Steve, are you engaged in double entendre? ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steven Blake

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
GJ,

True I didn't even realize it!  Playing the course though I had some tough "burdens" that did mess wtih my mind but it wasn't a burden! :) 

Steve Blake

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »

Tim,

Thanks! Everyone who loves golf has moments that move them in some way that makes it memorable.  This was special because of the course first and foremost but the company, playing with the architect made it special.  The course was great the only time I remember feeling this way was the time I got the opportunity to walk Pine Valley.  I think the biggest surprise for me was the uniqueness of the course itself.  Its hard to be original but this course does that well while still paying homage to the traditions of the game.

Mike,

You're right my mistake you came in on the right-side of the left fairway not in from the right fairway. Because of the cold front that came through Mike didn't have time to come in from the right fairway ... weather forced our strategy. 

Steve Blake

Steve,

The people side is very important. There is no place on earth that moves me more than being on the Cashen course at Ballybunion and I was fortunate that the very first person I met and played with there was the person who hit balls and did drawings for RTJ.
Tim Weiman

Steven Blake

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »
Tim,

It was a treat to play with Mike and two of my closest friends.  To experience Wolf Point with they them was great.

I have yet to travel to Ireland or Scotland ... someday hopefully sooner than later!

Steve Blake

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »
Tim,

It was a treat to play with Mike and two of my closest friends.  To experience Wolf Point with they them was great.

I have yet to travel to Ireland or Scotland ... someday hopefully sooner than later!

Steve Blake

You've had a great preview.  Don keeps that place in links land condition.  Welcome to the exclusive ranks of Wolf Point alumni!

Steven Blake

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 09:17:16 PM »
Bill,

Thanks I am lucky to be part of the group of alumni.

There are courses that you like and enjoy but would not want a heavy dose of and then there are courses you would never tire of playing. Wolf Point is the latter.

Steve Blake

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
Steven,
Glad you guys enjoyed it and the weather held off until the end, although it looks like the cold north wind didn't hurt Mike.
I would've like to have played as you guys were my kind of group.
See you next winter if you get down this way.

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »
Steven,
    Congratulations on your day at Wolf Point. I heartily concur with your reflections about your experience. It is a grand opus of great design and Mr. Mahaffey has the touch when it comes to making it play firmly. Mike and Don are a blast to play with too.
  It makes me so happy to know a few more people have learned the secret of Wolf Point. We have the next generation of "golden age" architects on the world stage right now. I can't wait to see Mike's and Don's next collaboration. You know its going to be visually and intellectually appealing and fun as hell to play. That's the pinnacle of great design in my book. Talk about two guys who get it.  
    Congratulations again. Sounds to me like you might be  an honorary member of Sam Morrow's "Mike Nuzzo Society" now.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
They keep a cot in the maintenance building for Sam.

Steven Blake

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2014, 09:33:30 AM »
If sam is the president of the mike nuzzo society then I nominate myself vice president.  If sam sleeps in the maintenance facility I do not blame him!

Ben Sims

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
The highlight of my golf travels has been multiple experiences at Wolf Point. It continues to shine in my memory as one of the great accomplishments of the modern era. It rises to the top in any comparison with any golf course I've seen or played. I'm glad you got to see it Steve. Your write up was superb.

Steven Blake

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 01:00:04 PM »
Ben,

I just hope we get to see some more Mike Nuzzo courses.  A few more courses anyway.  I know that's tough considering not many are being built. 

Steve Blake

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 01:35:27 PM »
Golf needs more Mike Nuzzo and Don Mahaffey.....yesterday.
The endless possibilities that seep out of every corner of that property, there's something there for every player.  A thirty handicap won't lose very many balls, maybe none, and a plus handicap will find challenge on every approach, recovery shot, and putt. That player will also appreciate the premium the course puts on drive placement, which is revealed as the holes unfold and the varied strategy becomes more apparent.  Just moving the hole location on a number of the holes changes the spot for a most favorable approach. Add wind and the variables tumble out in a logarythmic manner. Who would ever believe that a flat piece oc Texas scrub land could produce that level of challenge and beauty?

Steven Blake

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »
Charlie,

Its a course you have to play many, many times to get all of the nuances.  Dead flat around that area, makes me wonder what he could do with a prime piece of golf real estate.

Steve Blake

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »
Steve,
  This is going to sound preposterous, but I think the two of them took that flat piece of snake sanctuary and turned it into the most interesting golf course I've encountered. It's not the most scenic real estate, but it's beautiful none the less, and the presentation of options and strategy is sublime. I could happily spend the rest of my days there trying different approach angles to differnt hole locations in different winds. If it was public, the debating about ways to play it would be endless.
   There are several holes there that are amongst my favorite holes in all of golf,  3, 6, 14, and 16.
   Somehow, it needs to be recreated somewhere that it can be played regularly. I know you won't be able to quite duplicate the creek bordered holes, but architects like MacDonald found ways around that challenge. I have no doubt that Mike could figure that out, and the two of them would make it look beguiling.

Steven Blake

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:28 PM »
Charlie,

Mike assured me that Wolf Point had no snakes after i hit my drive on #7 into the long stuff trying to drive it into the front bunker!  ;)

I agree 100% with everything you said expect if when they build a new course I want it to be another original but still in the same vain as Wolf Point. 

I'd love to see 80 + acres of short grass on courses, I think its a cool look not to mention the playability.

I do not think what you said is preposterous in the least bit. If Wolf Point was a public or private club with more than 1 member Mr. Nuzzo would have already designed another course or two.

Steve Blake

Sam Morrow

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Steven,

Glad you had a great time, of course everyone does! I think you summed up Wolf Point perfectly! Welcome to the society!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 06:34:51 AM »
If Wolf Point was a public or private club with more than 1 member Mr. Nuzzo would have already designed another course or two.

Wonder if Mike Keiser has seen Wolf Point? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back