News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Cameron

Interactive Historical Course Photos
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
My apologies if this has been posted before, but just came across a very interesting site which uses overlays of aerial course photos to compare changes over time. Thought if anybody would enjoy this, then the guys at GCA certainly would.

Looking though these the most common trend seems to be that a single large bunker becomes two, three, or even four smaller bunkers.

http://www.golfcoursehistories.com/

JESII

Re: Interactive Historical Course Photos
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
Alex,

That site is great. It's been posted before, but that kind of site is always welcome for a re-post if you ask me. Maybe I'll make it a favorite this time...

Regarding the bunkers...do you think the trend you're seeing is a restoration trend to an original design with several smaller bunkers that were consolidated sometime since?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
Hmm, the aerials are interesting, definitely -- I'd like to see them do more ground-level comparisons like the ones of the 1st and 17th at Pinehurst #2. Just from those two pics you really get a sense of the impact of the waste areas / restoration (1st hole pic) and of the changes to the greens over the decades (17th).

The biggest change I see aren't the bunkers but the loss of width. Amazing how many courses have just lost their fairways to rough and / or their rough to trees. If this were a disease everyone would be screaming about a pandemic. And even though it's technically a maintenance change, I bet the impact on the architecture of those old courses is every bit as significant as, say, messing with the bunkers. More so, even.

Thanks for sharing this site with us, Alex.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »
Hiding your light under a bushel, Mark? :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
Great website, thanks for sharing.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »
That's where you'll find constructive criticism, Adam. :)  Besides, it's impossible to fish for compliments during this hiberna inhumanum we North Atlantic peoples are suffering. >:(
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
Hmm, the aerials are interesting, definitely -- I'd like to see them do more ground-level comparisons like the ones of the 1st and 17th at Pinehurst #2. Just from those two pics you really get a sense of the impact of the waste areas / restoration (1st hole pic) and of the changes to the greens over the decades (17th).

The biggest change I see aren't the bunkers but the loss of width. Amazing how many courses have just lost their fairways to rough and / or their rough to trees. If this were a disease everyone would be screaming about a pandemic. And even though it's technically a maintenance change, I bet the impact on the architecture of those old courses is every bit as significant as, say, messing with the bunkers. More so, even.

Thanks for sharing this site with us, Alex.

Mark, if you want to get in touch with the staff at GolfCourseHistories, please let them know that they're welcome to use any of my photos if they would help in comparisons similar to the Pinehurst #2 comparison you mentioned.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back