News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Boat of Garten: Scotland away from the Seashore.
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »
I posted a few shots from the Boat on my farcebook page, and thought all of my wonderful friends at GCA also deserved to be exposed.

The view of the green from the perfect spot on the 2nd fairway:

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Boat of Garten: Scotland away from the Seashore.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the photo Marty,

the 2nd is one of the great fairways in golf.

Jon

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 05:52:08 PM »
Martin, I've been told about and read about the course and have looked at the club's website.  It was highly recommended to me by a Royal Troon member.  Any more photos or commentary you could add?  I've always thought I'd like to visit, but on trips to Scotland with my USA friends I have never been able to convince them to abandon the links courses for a while and visit some highlands (or nonlinks) courses like this.  I don't know if at my age I have any trips to Scotland left in me, but who knows.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
Carl,
The very next hole. Delightful little par 3 with a splendid slope which will catch you out if you don't get the length correct.

Little beauty:

It's a great course in a truly special location, which won't break the Bank and remind you that Good golf is all about the experience.

F.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »

Alex Miller

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:57:47 PM »
Marty- we'll have to play there next time I'm around  ;). Looks like a wonderful winter course and I love the leafless trees.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:05:57 PM »

Steve Salmen

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:01 PM »
Martin,

That is an awesome looking fairway.  Can you please describe the hole for us?  Tee to green distance?

Not to hijack your thread, but the rumpled fairway reminds me very much of the fifteenth fairway at Tain.  That is a fantastic short par 4 with a very rumpled fairway and green that is very difficult to get an approach close from any distance.

If someone has a pic of the 15th at Tain, could you please post it for comparison's sake?  Thanks.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
Steve,
350yd par4 dogleg left to right which also plays downhill on the tee shot and uphill to a slightly benched green which possesses some excellent internal contour. Just terrific fun.

View from the tee:

Closer view of the green:

Nice...

F.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »
Martin, I can see that the train tracks are visible from the course.  Are there lots of trains through, or one a day? (The more the better for me.)  Also, the River Spey.  Is it in view at all from the course?  It would appear not.

Thanks.

Ken Moum

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
Martin, I can see that the train tracks are visible from the course.  Are there lots of trains through, or one a day? (The more the better for me.)  Also, the River Spey.  Is it in view at all from the course?  It would appear not.

Thanks.

Even better, it's a steam train http://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/dnn/ and you can see it in action from the course.

http://www.strathspeyrailway.co.uk/dnn/Movies/BoatofGarten.aspx

The day I played it in 2006, the steam locomotive pulled in just as we were playing up the 18th.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »
Carl,
As Ken says, the strathspey railway runs past the course, but it doesn't really 'go' anywhere. I don't think BofG has a regular main line rail service. Look up Dr Beeching, who decimated the UK rail service in the 60s.
Strangely enough, you don't really hear or see the river either! Lots of birdsong and golfers chatter of course!

M.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »
Carl,
As Ken says, the strathspey railway runs past the course, but it doesn't really 'go' anywhere. I don't think BofG has a regular main line rail service. Look up Dr Beeching, who decimated the UK rail service in the 60s.
Strangely enough, you don't really hear or see the river either! Lots of birdsong and golfers chatter of course!

M.

Thanks Martin and Ken - I see that it is what I'd call a tourist or sceanic railway - still a railway.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 04:50:42 PM »
Carl,

M.

You can learn something every day - from Dr. Beeching's bio on Wikipedia:

The effect of the 'Beeching Axe' on a small station was the subject of Oh, Doctor Beeching!, a television sitcom by David Croft and Richard Spendlove from 1995 to 1997. A popular Flanagan and Allen song became the theme song which ran:

"Oh! Dr. Beeching, what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none!
I'll have to buy a bike, 'cause I can't afford a car. Oh! Dr. Beeching!
What a naughty man you are!"

David_Tepper

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »
Carl J. -

Grantown-on-Spey is another worthwhile inland course not far from BoG. If you go in mid-August when the heather is in bloom, it is very pretty. However, I am not sure if you can see the Spey from that course either.

http://www.grantownonspeygc.co.uk/Intro.aspx

I have done the drive on the A95 highway along the Spey River from Grantown to Craigellachie a number of times. It is the scenic route between Inverness and Aberdeen.

DT    
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:07:13 AM by David_Tepper »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 07:16:52 PM »
The train is a shuttle from Aviemore. Nice 20 minute journey to Boat and two hour walk back
Cave Nil Vino

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 01:04:16 AM »
Very excited to have added B of G to my agenda this August after I play Dornoch with David Tepper and Castle Stuart.  Never heard
 of the course, but it was suggested by one of my buddies who belongs to Prestwick.. thanks for the pics..

Anders Rytter

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 03:35:35 AM »
I played it last fall and have no regrets taking some time off from the coast.

Phil McDade

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 09:09:59 AM »
Boat of Garten is without question worth a trip. It's one of Braid's finest designs, and although there is some debate about Scotland's best inland course, BofG is part of that discussion.

Today's big hitters might look down their noses at the course, as it plays from the tips at just under 5,900 yards. But with only two par 5s, and routed tightly through a silver birch forest, it plays longer than its card length -- accuracy off the tee is a major component of the play here. What I really like about the course is that Braid, within the tight confines of a course squeezed in between the old rail line and the River Spey, created 18 holes of terrific variety -- there is rarely a hole there that doesn't make you at least think about how to approach playing it. Greens are generally on the small side, so playing from the fairway and accurate approaches into the targets is a big part of the strategy. And there is some neat quirk, notably the 307-yd Gully on the back nine where one traverses a deep pit.

A fun course, but a challenge as well. Having spent some time hanging around a clubhouse with some fine junior golfers in Scotland several years back, one of them asked where I was headed next. I told him -- Boat of Garten. His reply: "Tough course -- good luck."

Ian Andrew

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:45 PM »
Soon to play Frazerburg, Petterhead and Fortrose & Rosmarkie Golf Club

Would you drop one of those for Boat of Garten?
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Daryl David

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Soon to play Frazerburg, Petterhead and Fortrose & Rosmarkie Golf Club

Would you drop one of those for Boat of Garten?

Ian, I would drop either of the first two for the Boat. 

Stan Dodd

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »
Fraserburgh is well worth a play.
Fortrose is quirky and decent.
Peterhead is the one I would drop.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
The rollercoaster par 5 4th. 500 yards of micro and macro undulations of hilarity:

F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
Lovely simple little uphill 300 yarder, #5. Demanding tee shot to a landing area with view of nicely perched horizon green.

Very tidy.

F.

Frank Pont

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
BoG is one of my favorite inland course in scotland, with some of the most unique fairway undulations you will find anywhere

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back