News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Gallagher

Re: Highlands Links Update
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Ulrich,
   Cape Breton Island is extremely mountainous. It rises sharply out of the sea, especailly in the Ingonish area. I am interested in Ian's description of the soils, as I wondered about the composition as I played the course. The course ascends a hill off the first tee and then tumbles mostly down hill to the 6th hole. It then ascends inland to the 9th green where the direction of travel turns and heads back towards the sea, some of that route along a river bottom, and some along bench ridge above the river to the 13 green. The 14th hole doglegs uphill, 15 tumbles back down, you cross a road and play 16 which inexorably climbs back in the direction of the point of beginning which is reached after playing the flatter 17th a par three with a marvelously contoured green, and then rising again as you play up 18.  I don't know what the total elevation change for the course is but I would guess it to be well over 250 vertical feet. It repeatedly traverses heavily glaciated secondary mountain ridge.
   Highlands, I was told, was built with one bulldozer and hand labor. Given how rough the surrouding terrain is, which is readily apparent as one peers into the surrounding boreal forest, I continually marveled at the genius of the place. While there are most assuredly engineering challenges in moving the sand around at Carne or in the Carolina pine hills area, the man hours of labor involved in shaping Higlhands out of that glacial till and moraine, must have been frightful. Just cutting all the spruce and removing the stumpage must have seemed most daunting to the men doing it, let alone painstakingly removing the millions of rocks and stones that must have been strewn every where on the property. No excavators, no TurboChieftan.  That Thompson could build something so playable and memorable on that harsh terrain....he's every bit as good a designer as Mackenzie, Tillinghast, or Ross, in my book.
   By the way, his routing at St. Georges in Toronto is a masterpiece as well as he repeatedly threads the course through and around a series of naturally occuring valleys on that site.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
Charlie, that's why it is so important that Ian continues to get the work at Highlands, it is that frigging good!  And so is St George's in Toronto!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2014, 05:08:15 AM »
Just to get a clear understanding of your definition of mountain course: do you define any heavily undulated course to be a mountain course? What about a flat course at high altitude (say, 5000 feet or more)? Or a heavily undulated course in sand dunes by the sea? Is it a question of soil? What are the defining characteristics for you?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
Ulrich - you know it when you see it:
(Photos courtesy of Ran's course review)

And back to the sea:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:05:05 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Dan, great pictures. Every photo I've seen on this thread makes me ache to play it again.
Ulrich, I would define mountain golf as a course set largely over mountainous terrain. I would exclude any course demonstrably in other terrain, such as seaside dunes, even gigantic ones like those at Carne or Tralee. Both courses feature dunes higher than 100 feet, but the terrain is undeniably pure links and is not mountainous.
  Sugar loaf in Maine is another good example of mountain golf,  in my book. Jay Peak in Vermont is another good example. Both decent courses.
   The best I've ever played, by far, is Highland Links.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »
I get what you guys mean. Just struggling for a good definition. I know many courses that are routed over hilly terrain, just haven't thought of them as mountain courses. But maybe it's not such a bad idea, there's no real term for those hilly courses anyway.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
I don't know what the total elevation change for the course is but I would guess it to be well over 250 vertical feet. It repeatedly traverses heavily glaciated secondary mountain ridge.

The high point is the back tee for the 15th hole - it's 30m above sea level.
The 8th fairway ridge is about the same elevation.

Highlands, I was told, was built with one bulldozer and hand labor.

One steam shovel that they could only run one day a week

That's it on the 6th hole with the only dump truck

Best Photo of Golf Construction ... Ever
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »
Ian,
   Those are great pictures! So it wasn't a bulldozer, it was a steam shovel! Just wonderous.
I'm so happy you are massaging the course. Cutting back the forest to display the vistas that abound in that area will enhance the playing experience, in addition to improving the turf. Modernizing drainage will also have a salutory effect.
  I was surprised that the elevation change was well less than I had guessed.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:56 PM »
Great picture - looks like GCA meets The Grapes of Wrath

Gary Slatter

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »
A mountain course is in the mountains, it might be flat (Banff and Kananaskis are flat).  Many courses in Ontario have more hills and elevation changes.  The most mountainous course that I have ever played is the Canouan course on an island - 800 foot elevation changes.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Greg McMullin

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2014, 02:16:57 PM »
Charlie, here is a 1938 photo showing the work crew and equipment. I'm 95% certain this was taken on the sixth hole as were the two other old photos posted here.

[/URL]

Ian,
   Those are great pictures! So it wasn't a bulldozer, it was a steam shovel! Just wonderous.
I'm so happy you are massaging the course. Cutting back the forest to display the vistas that abound in that area will enhance the playing experience, in addition to improving the turf. Modernizing drainage will also have a salutory effect.
  I was surprised that the elevation change was well less than I had guessed.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »
For those that haven't had the pleasure of experiencing Cape Breton Highlands, below is an older aerial photo that shows most of the holes on the course. I've noted each hole with a number.

[/URL]

Keith Cutten

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »
Awesome ;D

Here is a link to a Bing Map of Highlands Links... Google maps has very poor resolution. Enjoy! 
http://binged.it/1feoRd2
"Excellence of design is more felt than fully realized." - Alister MacKenzie - The Spirit of St. Andrews

Ian Andrew

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »
I thought you would enjoy knowing that the man "in the tie" on the right is Geoff Cornish

The crew is made up mostly from family members who had their land "expropriated."

I'm fairly certain the man on the horse is Hennie Henereson, an Engineer, who was given the task of clearing the site and organizing the distribution of soil around the property.

[/URL]
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

JBovay

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2014, 01:56:06 PM »
Ian,

I know my response is a couple of weeks late, but I just wanted to thank you for posting this update. Highlands Links is one of my favorite courses anywhere, a very special place. I've enjoyed reading about your restoration work over the years and really look forward to getting back there for the first time since 2008 to see the changes in person.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't seen the course to make the trip to Cape Breton Island at some point.

JB

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back