News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Re: What are we suckers for?
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 01:33:30 PM »
Template holes.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
Magazine lists

Will MacEwen

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
Short par 4s.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
I am an absolute sucker for massive false fronts on greens like #7 at El Saler or #10 at Morfontaine.

Go to Prairie Dunes. As Brian Doyle-Murray told me by the 11thgreen, it has more false fronts "than a Hooters' swimsuit competition."
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Greg Taylor

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
I'm a sucker for feeling slightly pampered.

Give me a nice looking first hole and a quiet car park and I'm an easy lay.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
Rustic clubhouses & halfway houses that have a cabin look.

Paul Gray

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 04:56:55 PM »
Get the conditioning right on a good course and it will be a match for any great course.   

Absolutely spot on in my view (surprise, surprise eh Sean?!). You start with the turf. Eveything else is secondary.

+2, +3 and +4

That, for me, sums up the errors of ever 'faux links' of the eighties.

In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John McCarthy

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »
A dryish hole that allows a running shot.  Ok, a well struck wedge might get there, but if I run it up there slow...
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

BHoover

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
Turf conditions that allow for the ground game. Ideal turf conditions makes even lesser courses fun.

I'm also a sucker for whiskey, especially since we have a newborn who doesn't like to sleep at night.

Tim Martin

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 08:17:51 PM »
Blind shots. I love them and can't get enough.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
Split fairway holes

Barf

I am quite fond of the seventh at Holston Hills, tenth at Forest Dunes, ninth at Kinloch, etc. 

Jim Tang

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
Short par 4's.  So many options!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 09:05:01 PM »
Another one I thought of today on the course, grass bunkers, love those things!

Eric Smith

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »
Chip shots that have me aiming 90 degrees or more off the direct line to the hole.

A par three that lets me hit a goofy high fading shot with my driver. ( Ask Neil Regan, he'll tell ya)

Really good fescues.

Grandpa Joe,

Get thee to Nebraska this summer and I'll show you all three!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »
Eric - Joe is the only gca-er I've ever played with. We played two rounds together - one at the course he owned (the healthiest turf you ever saw, not surprisingly) and the other at the Mines. Two things that you probably could have guessed: 1) We played our first round just minutes after I'd stepped out of the car after a 4-5 drive. We didn't warm up at all and I was playing even worse than I normally do; now, the thing is, Joe wasn't doing very well either, pretty much racking up one bogey after the other, but somehow I could tell that he was a much better golfer than he was showing. And then around the 14th or 15th hole, it hit me. God bless him, but don't you know that he was purposely trying to play badly, just so that he wouldn't 'show me up'. The funny thing is, since he is so bad at lying, he was equally bad at faking his ineptitude, and so I saw it and called him on it (well, thanked him for it). He looked like a kid who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar. 2) At the Mines we both played better, and while he was talking me through the (very good) architecture, he just 'played' (and play is the operative word) the smartest round of golf I'd seen in a long time, always playing the angles and the contours beautifully. (Oh yeah, and also a 230+ yard 3 wood that flew high and straight and landed on the green like a butterfly!). In short, Grandpa Joe can play -- and I can't think of anyone you'd enjoy hosting out there in your spiritual home more than him. (Oh man, now THAT would be something I'd truly love to join you in!)

Peter

BHoover

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
I'm also a sucker for tinkering with, and trying out, new equipment. I'm an unapologetic equipment whore.

I'm not a long hitter by any stretch, but it feels really good to hit a big drive.

Eric Smith

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »
PP - you have given me a new goal for 2015. Thank you. :)

BCowan

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
Spring

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 06:27:47 AM »

The so called 'aerial game' is only played by a very small percentage of golfers.

Mike, you're kidding, right ?

What part of the country are you from ?

How many people play the "ground" game versus the "aerial" game in the Northeast in the Spring ?

Doesn't every golfer attempt to play the aerial game in general ?

To everyone else ie: the vast majority, a hole's strategy and the green's internal contours are as important as they always were.

Who drives the ball along the ground ?

jeffwarne

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 10:51:30 AM »
Get the conditioning right on a good course and it will be a match for any great course.   

Absolutely spot on in my view (surprise, surprise eh Sean?!). You start with the turf. Eveything else is secondary.

+2, +3 and +4

Why then do we criticize the great unwashed when they evaluate a course based on its condition ? ::) ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JMEvensky

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 10:59:35 AM »

Why then do we criticize the great unwashed when they evaluate a course based on its condition ? ::) ::) ::)

Excellent point.

The great "washed" should be more precise--that each of us, washed/unwashed, is a sucker for conditiong.But we of the washed persuasion prefer the goal of conditioning to be playability rather than aesthetics.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 11:00:45 AM »
The view of the 18th green from the fairway with the clubhouse in the background as the sun sets.

Love finishing my round as the sun sets. The course never looks more beautiful - to me at least

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
I'm an unrepentant sucker for railroad ties/sleepers. Frickin' love 'em.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »
elevated greens

Brent Hutto

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 12:23:54 PM »
As much as it pains me to be in the same category with the folks Jeff Warne once described to me (ask them how they liked a golf course and they say "Greens were a little slow, I shot an 82") the fact remains that golf is merely a pleasant pastime unless two conditions obtain during the round:

1) The ball bounces every time it hits the ground

2) You get that slightly ringing "thump" when striking a 5-iron from a fairway lie

Under those conditions, golf is exhilarating on the most mundane design and is an unearthly pleasure on a great course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back