News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: A picture is worth 1000 words
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »
Nice counter point picture. However, I believe both courses were in playing season with my picture, whereas yours shows a course out of playing season.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 04:58:11 PM »
What if the point taken by some of the first picture was to differentiate between maintenance practices optimized for playability during a peak period vs those optimized for playability across all periods?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 05:18:21 PM »
What if the point taken by some of the first picture was to differentiate between maintenance practices optimized for playability during a peak period vs those optimized for playability across all periods?

They are welcome to that opinion. I haven't argued with those that expressed that opinion.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
Mark, do you dye the greens, or are they overseeded?   We stopped ruining ours twice a year with poa trivialis and now leave them alone and spray some green colored stuff on them.   Bingo, no transition screwing things up twice a year. 

Greens are bent so they are naturally green. 

Fairways and rough are bermuda. 

I'm impressed the greens are bent.  Do you use a lot of fans in the summer?

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:53 AM »

Definitely worth a thousand words.

Which course would you rather play tomorrow or better yet in early April, when the bermuda's dormant, thin,compacted and  threadbare after a full winter or traffic and zero growth?
and the rye is perfect, firm and fast, yet grass.
(not saying it's the way to go for every club, or that it's sustainable,or that dormant can't play wonderfully, or that there isn't a grow in period in October, but to deny that the conditions the course is in in Spring are anything less than fantastic would seem a bit silly)

I love Augusta CC, one of my favorite courses, but it's not even close, in the spring, in the years they don't overseed.

and GJ, the picture does NOT depict two courses in "playing season" , unless it was taken in mid April, when Augusta area's playing season begins. ;) ;D  only freaks like me played all winter
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:50:25 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 11:46:39 PM »
Jeff,

When I zoom in, there are clearly players playing both courses.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2014, 06:34:59 AM »

Mark, do you dye the greens, or are they overseeded?   We stopped ruining ours twice a year with poa trivialis and now leave them alone and spray some green colored stuff on them.   Bingo, no transition screwing things up twice a year. 

Bill,

I've never been a fan of over seeding but sometimes Mother Nature can have a major influence.

But, why the need to DYE the grass ?

When did that start at your club, and WHY ?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »

Not really. 

You see a course grassed for play in the winter and a course grassed for year round play.

Jason, you hit the nail on the head,

But, it goes beyond the seasonal aspect you pointed out.

One course is put on center stage, globally, by conducting a major shortly after winter ends.

And as such the visual aspect of the televised broadcast is a critical element.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:18 PM »

Bill,

I've never been a fan of over seeding but sometimes Mother Nature can have a major influence.

But, why the need to DYE the grass ?

When did that start at your club, and WHY ?

If you don't put some color on the greens everything blends together.  We stopped overseeding when I was golf and green chair, one of my proudest accomplishments as there were some strong personalities opposed.  I brought in a major turf grass guy from Mississippi State.  One of his recommendations that helped carry the day was dyeing the greens.  We haven't stopped as there seems to be no downside. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Bill,

Has there been any effort to "soften" the green dye ?

How often is it applied ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back