News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

A picture is worth 1000 words
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:39:19 PM »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brett Wiesley

Re: A picture is worth 1000 words
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »
ANGC with ACC next door showing off it's dormant rough...What's important in the other area on ANGC property outlined in green?  New building?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
Not only dormant rough, but the fairways are not so uniformly dark green either.

The outlines in green are what Google Earth thinks are golf course boundaries when you turn on golf course viewing. They missed by a little on ANGC.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »
all golf courses should look the same and play the same at all times...there should be no divergence from the elitist standard.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:49 PM »
Not really.  You see a course grassed for play in the winter and a course grassed for year round play.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
ACC is not over-seeded in this picture.  It is totally dormant, however a tint was applied to the fairways. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
Mark, do you dye the greens, or are they overseeded?   We stopped ruining ours twice a year with poa trivialis and now leave them alone and spray some green colored stuff on them.   Bingo, no transition screwing things up twice a year. 

Josh Tarble

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 08:50:24 AM »

Sorry, took down my post...I was thinking about shaggy bunkers like C&C build and I think they work best when presented in a rugged fashion.  I don't think Augusta would ever let their course go that direction.  A very manicured look doesn't work with C&C style bunkers in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:19:42 AM by Josh Tarble »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »
Wait a minute...

This is apples to oranges.

Augusta National is a winter type of club, actually closed in the summer. So they use rye grass for their fairways. Grass that thrives in the winter. Right?

Augusta CC is a year round local members type of club. They utilize totally different grasses, have different peaks of play, and was built for totally different reasons that Augusta National.

So, of course they look totally different from an aerial photo.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
Heck, with water restrictions, even overseeded fairways will be a thing of the past at most clubs in a few years.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 11:01:15 AM »
GJ,

I'm sure you realize that ANGC only looks like that from late Oct to late Apr.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
Mark, do you dye the greens, or are they overseeded?   We stopped ruining ours twice a year with poa trivialis and now leave them alone and spray some green colored stuff on them.   Bingo, no transition screwing things up twice a year. 

Greens are bent so they are naturally green. 

Fairways and rough are bermuda. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
I celebrate that there are two courses side by side which provide excellent golfing experiences to their members and guests while adopting such different maintenance practices.  As far as I know, neither is asking to be on the government dole, so why should we care what they do?  (I know, the dreaded Augusta National Syndrome which I have yet to experience myself).

As Ben Sims noted, ANGC is what we see on television for a very short time each year.  A member at Palmetto told me during the Dixie Cup a few years back that he had just played AN a day or two before and that it was not a good experience (the rye was being grown in and all areas through the green were shaggy and extremely wet).  

Regarding dormant Bermuda, I prefer greens and fairways which have not been overseeded primarily because the grow-in during the spring is much easier and quicker.  As noted above, the overseeding with rye can make playing conditions poor for some time even with large budgets.  Having said that, in marginal areas for bent greens such as in Dallas, I much prefer bent over ultradwarfs because when the latter go dormant, they do get very quick and bumpy, even with a frequent sanding (which seems to get overdone- every week at my home course).  

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
I belong to two clubs in the southwestern US.  The one at 2100 feet elevation reseeds.  It's amazing how often that, right after overseeding, an act of nature comes in and causes havoc.  Las Vegas doesn't get much rain, but it often comes down as a short term torrential storm.  Our course this year still hasn't fully recovered from last fall's rain.

The course at 5000 feet elevation doesn't overseed.  I find a lot more consistency with the course conditions in the winter, and don't care that the color isn't verdent green.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 11:54:22 AM »

Regarding dormant Bermuda, I prefer greens and fairways which have not been overseeded primarily because the grow-in during the spring is much easier and quicker.  As noted above, the overseeding with rye can make playing conditions poor for some time even with large budgets.  Having said that, in marginal areas for bent greens such as in Dallas, I much prefer bent over ultradwarfs because when the latter go dormant, they do get very quick and bumpy, even with a frequent sanding (which seems to get overdone- every week at my home course).  

Agreed! 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
... As far as I know, neither is asking to be on the government dole, so why should we care what they do?  ...

ANGC is on the government dole, unless they have given up their benefits in the last few years.

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:49:57 PM »
GJ,

Please do outline your beef with ANGC. As far as I can tell, they're doing what they damn well please and it's not hurting too many folks. Never mind that they put on the best spectator event for both patrons and at home viewers in the sport.

I'm just confused with all the cryptic and veiled attempts to make a point.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
I'm just confused with all the cryptic and veiled attempts to make a point.

What cryptic and veiled "attempts" to make a point?
I posted a picture.
I informed Lou that indeed they have been on the government dole, because he didn't know they had. Part of the reason they can be so green is that they get free water from the city.
Other than that, it has been my intention to observe what people say.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
Garland, for some reason Bread and their lyrics come to mind:

If a picture paints a thousand words then why can't I paint you?

In jest, of course. 

Cheers,

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ben Sims

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 03:36:50 PM »

Other than that, it has been my intention to observe what people say.

Oh give me a break. You're not quiet enough to observe anything.  ;D

What's you're angle here? Why do you hate Augusta National so much when it obviously gives you do much joy to write about it?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
Don't know why you say I hate ANGC.

What have I written so much about it?

The most I have written about it is its illogical status as a major championship. The major championships of Bobby Jones' day did not favor particular players by returning to the same site year after year, and by limiting their field size by being out of the golf season. It seems illogical to me that the Masters should do these things and be considered a major championship.

Since you want to push me on the picture, I will simply say that for the most part golf should be played on courses that look like ACC, and not on courses that look like ANGC. Or, are you hoping they will green up Chambers Bay? ;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »
GJ,

I appreciate and champion ANGC for what it is. Not every golf course or club has to look and play the same. But I don't expect you understand. You really should go see it.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:05 PM »
<<PENCILS AND KEYBOARDS DOWN.>> STOP WRITING !!!!!

Cumulative posts' word count is at 1,141 (not including this post). Please no more words until GJ or somebody else puts up another pic.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
Mark,

You have to subtract out my words from your total. And perhaps subtract out Ben Sims words for his thread jack. ;D

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 04:27:56 PM »
Mark,

You have to subtract out my words from your total. And perhaps subtract out Ben Sims words for his thread jack. ;D

Where does it say that in the rule?  ???

Heavy sigh.....

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:30:56 PM by Mark Bourgeois »
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back