News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Sherwood Forest still closed after mini-tornado
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:50:19 PM »
I know a bunch of GCAers have enjoyed playing at Sherwood Forest GC in the English midlands before now. Sadly, the course was hit by a small tornado three weeks ago, and remains closed as staff try to deal with the consequences.

http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/other-sport/doors-closed-at-storm-wrecked-golf-club-1-6446762
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Boon

Re: Sherwood Forest still closed after mini-tornado
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:17:28 PM »
Adam,

Not surprisingly this has been a regular discussion at our club for the last few weeks. People I know who played that day are surprised how much damage was done just down the road, but then as it's being called a mini tornado it's not too surprising.

I've been told it's the health and safety issues related with having to make sure so many trees are safe that is delaying the re opening. I've also been told we have given them a number of complimentary tee times each day until they reopen.

I was hoping to play there in April, so hope its open by then, and if I do, will report back accordingly.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

SL_Solow

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:26:41 PM »
We had a similar problem at our course in 2000.  It led to a wonderful renovation but in the short term it was very troubling.  I hope no one was injured.  It is better to be careful as weakened trees can be very dangerous.  all the best.

Frank Pont

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
We had a similar problem at our course in 2000.  It led to a wonderful renovation but in the short term it was very troubling.  I hope no one was injured.  It is better to be careful as weakened trees can be very dangerous.  all the best.

I was thinking the same, would it be an opportunity?

At Tandridge about 30% of the trees blew over in the great storm of 93 (?), which was very beneficial to the course's corridors width.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back