News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Parker Reeves

What Makes Your Golf Professional Great?
« on: February 17, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
Hello all.  I hope this topic finds you well.  I wanted to hear from those of you that feel like the golf professional at your club or clubs does a great job and what makes them special in your book.  It could be the fact that she or he is a great instructor or something much smaller like remembering your children's names.  I look forward to your answers!

Thank you!

-Parker

hhuffines

Re: What Makes Your Golf Professional Great?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
Ted Kiegiel of Carolina CC in Raleigh, NC.  A fine man, patient as hell teaching hackers like me and a martial arts expert.  Thanks to his work with Webb Simpson, we have had numerous state championships at my high school and lots of solid college players.  The best thing is he manages a small army of child golfers and keeps our course moving smoothly.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
Jeff Tallman at Musgrove Mill is one of the best club pros I know.  He is personable, professional, and will go the extra mile.  I don't know anyone who doesn't think he is one of the finest pros they have met.  MM is, for the most part, a national club.  Any guest who has been there is made to feel like an honored member.  I have know him for 18 years and can't remember a bad moment with him.

Carl Rasnic. He was my pro when I was a teenager at Fort Meade GC in Maryland.  He not only taught me the game he taught me about life.
One summer I was working on the grounds crew.  After I cut grass etc. I would play.  One day I miss hit my three wood and in a fit of anger broke my club.  I brought it into the pro shop where Mr. Rasnic asked how it broke.  I said, "It just broke." He said three woods "don't just break."  After he got the truth out of me he banned me from playing for two weeks.  My Dad said I was lucky, he should have banned me for the rest of the summer.  So I got to the course at 5 AM to work but for two weeks never hit a golf ball.  He and I stayed good friends til his death.  I owe him a lot.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill Gayne

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 08:24:16 PM »
He has a really good staff (from his fellow pro's all the way down to the kids running the carts and keeping range balls on the range).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:29:02 PM by Bill Gayne »

David Whitmer

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
You have to wear many hats, and the best club pros wear them all well. In no particular order, I want my club pro to run great events, be a good teacher, show no favorites, run a top-notch operation with quality merchandise, and engage me. Show an interest in me and my game, every day. Ask me how I just played, or how I'm playing. Let me know he's there if I need any help with my game. Go out to the first tee and watch groups tee off. Show genuine concern for me and my family, and odds are I'll like you.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »
1.  He works his tail off without appearing to be doing so
2.  He has the authority to make decisions
3.  Most of his decisions are good decisions

Carl Johnson

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
Hands on.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back