News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chuck Glowacki

first golf course
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:59:58 PM »
What was the first golf course you ever played?  Mine was the old dunes course at Jekyll Island (9 holes).

jonathan_becker

Re: first golf course
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
Shady Hollow CC in Massillon, OH

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
Augusta CC-had no clue how good I had it
18 holes at age 11 with my dad's inch long wilson staffs first time I ever touched a club ::) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »
Belle Meade Country Club in Thomson, GA.

Chuck Glowacki

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »
some old ole georgia boys, Jeff the start of something good.
think I was about 11 too, father became member at the
old Fort Gordon Golf Club (Forrest Hills) spent many a day
there, Mom would drop me off in the morning and pick
me up in the afternoon.  those were indeed the days.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 04:21:25 PM »
Harlowton CC, Harlowton, MT now Jawbone Creek CC.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 04:27:13 PM »
Stoneycreek - a muni in Michigan when I was 11 years old...

Then I didnt play again until I was 37 years old on the golf course I live on- Lexington Oaks in FL

Gary Slatter

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 04:41:33 PM »
Huntsville Downs, 9-holes, Huntsville Ontario   Stanley Thompson design   My father worked on construction, stayed on as GK
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
La Tourette Golf Club in Staten Island, NY.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
I have no idea...
H.P.S.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
Jefferson Park Golf Course in Falls Church VA.  Didn't play much until a couple years later, but that was the first...

Ryan Coles

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
Ashton Court CC.

A true hidden gem- seek it out.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Globetrotter Bill Shulz and I both played our first golf on the NLE par 3 Las Gallinas course just north of San Rafael, CA.   About 20 years apart.

Paul Jones

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
Iberia Golf and Country Club - New Iberia, LA. I wish the 9-hole course still existed, but now there subdivision behind my parents house.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
Ashton Court CC.
A true hidden gem- seek it out.
Played some of my earliest rounds here. Might have changed since, but I recall some very raised greens, or at least they seemed very raised raised to a little kid. Most of my early golf was played with rented clubs on muni pitch-n-putts and short courses, many of which probably no longer exist. A great shame. Muni pitch-n-putts and short courses, great places for youngsters to start learning the game.
atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »
some old ole georgia boys, Jeff the start of something good.
think I was about 11 too, father became member at the
old Fort Gordon Golf Club (Forrest Hills) spent many a day
there, Mom would drop me off in the morning and pick
me up in the afternoon.  those were indeed the days.

Chuck that was 3 blocks from my house-didn't even know it was there until 3 years later.
Love that course-won HS sate Championship there.
They have DESTROYED that course-including the old putting green which was a gathering spot for many to practice/gamble.

Rees- used to like Belle Meade-my introduction to quirk
where I learned 7 was pronounced sebum... as in "I hit me a big ole sebum arn on that there hole"
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ryan Coles

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »
Tongue in cheek obviously Thomas, but you're spot on and not just for youngsters.

In these days of over supply, there is a distinct lack of smaller facilities for the beginner and intermediate player. They upset established players at 'bigger clubs' and are made to feel unwelcome and this drives them away from the game.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 05:24:59 PM »
Tongue in cheek obviously Thomas, but you're spot on and not just for youngsters.
In these days of over supply, there is a distinct lack of smaller facilities for the beginner and intermediate player. They upset established players at 'bigger clubs' and are made to feel unwelcome and this drives them away from the game.
Just about every town/city park had a muni pitch-n-putt/short course or muni putting green when I was a kid. And a muni bowling green too. Wonderful facilities. Memories of many happy times spent with friends and relatives. And you're right Ryan, not just for youngsters and beginners either. Alas such facilities are not commonly available to any generation these days. And private clubs, if they have the land available, and some do, are so reluctant to have a short course. A great shame and very shortsighted as these are the real places to 'grow the game' IMO.
atb

Paul Gray

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »
Spot on Tom, absolutely spot on.

Not sure if it counts but the par 3 course/pitch and putt at Hayling, a genuinely outstanding short course. And I had no idea it was something out of the ordinary. Fortunately it's still going strong.

Actual 'full size' course, Great Salterns in Portsmouth which, if it sounds good, isn't! But that's actually harsh. It provided, and still provides, a welcome to all golfers of all standards without trying to push any other unwanted 'add ons.'
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 06:48:02 PM »
Can't remember.  It was one of two 9-holers in Rochester, NY.  Either St. John Fisher GC or Island Valley.  In both cases, there was one cut of grass other than the greens and it was cut at a little over an inch probably.  No fairways.  To this day, the 9-holer at St. John Fisher might be the tightest set of holes I've ever played.

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
Ryan and Tom

I think it matters what city/region.  Money has been put into 9 hole course right where i grew up and they are doing well.  Lots of muni's where i grew up and where I live.  Plus many CC are turning public.  The market is working.  Maybe you are in the wrong place?

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »
First golf course I ever played on was Elmhurst at 6 years old, a Ross design that some years later sparked by interest in golf course architecture.

TK

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 12:03:44 AM »
Portland Golf Club, about 60 years ago.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 06:39:05 AM »

Sean McCue

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
Aronimink.
Be sure to visit my blog at www.cccpgcm.blogspot.com and follow me on twitter @skmqu

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back