News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Frank Giordano

Re: Stairs on Notable Courses
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 09:44:18 AM »
Didn't the par 3 14th at Harbour Town originally have a ladder for descending -- almost vertically! --  into the deep bunker back left of the green?  When Mr. Dye fixed that big mistake, did he use steps for returning to the putting surface?

Bill Brightly

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 10:22:58 AM »
The Creek, back of the Punchbowl

Lyndell Young

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »
Lester I'm not a fan of steps in the playing areas of any course,I know sometimes they are needed. Lester do you have a design choice when it comes to steps, I know golfers make us put in steps a lot of times after the fact due to bunker face damage.but can't most be avoided.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 02:10:14 PM »
You most likely wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of this set of stairs:
 ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Lester George

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »
Thanks everyone for the pics.  Last question, what is the highest ranked golf courses in the world with stairs that are in play, Tees, greens bunkers?

Lester

Mark McKeever

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
Pine Valley?
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Bruce Katona

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2014, 01:27:36 PM »
I can certainly say as a 1st person witness the stairs leading to #10 green at Yale are in play.....caught my lofted iron "just a bit thin".....

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »
Another set at Prairie Dunes...

Michael Felton

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »
Royal St George's has a few I believe.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 08:02:17 PM »
Stairs to the left of the 8th tee at Kingston Heath, allowing a view of the blind landing zone, and the nearby 9th green (RJ Daley in the foreground!)

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »
Do the stairs leading from the R&A Clubhouse to the first tee count? They also allow exit from the 18th green, and from memory, John Daly had his ball bounce up and down them during an open once...

Is my fading memory also accurately recalling a long staircase down from the one of the first tees to the first fairway at Riv?

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

J_ Crisham

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:42 PM »
Another set at Prairie Dunes...

Almost the best up and down in my life!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 12:05:15 AM »
Myopia Hunt Club, par three ninth!

[/url]
DSCN0148 by macmalc21, on

Steve Wilson

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »
No photo, but to the 7th tee at Pinehurst #2.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Sean_A

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 04:46:19 AM »
PG Wodehouse's Bunker on Addy's 6th.  

When is Myopia going to become muni?  Whenever I see pix of that place I swoon.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
It's not the highest-ranked course with stairs, but I swear Mayacama Golf Club has to have the most--leading up to and down from the terraced tee boxes--stairs on any golf course anywhere.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Howard Riefs

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 04:16:36 PM »
Streamsong Red Course…

The hike up to #7 tee.

The steps up from the far side of the cavernous 40 yard long bunker left of fairway on #15. Amazingly, the stairs weren’t added until a couple months after the course opened; instead, players and caddies were forced to walk back to point of entry.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brent Hutto

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 04:27:32 PM »
I don't have a photo and they're actually not very impressive steps. But here's my description (copied from a past thread) of the first five holes and the stairs leading to the sixth tee at Pitlochry.

The first five holes are uphill, uphill, uphill, crosshill (Par 3) and uphill respectively. I ask the club Captain which wind direction made the course play toughest and he said it was from the North because the first five are uphill and upwind. That is the prevailing direction and on the two days I played it was primarily from the Northwest. I tend to agree with his assessment. For a short course those first five holes played like five miles on 12-13C temps and 10-15mph breezes (with stronger gusts during my first round). I need to find a small-interval topo map but I'd say the overall climb from clubhouse to fifth green is probably 300 feet or a bit more. Then just to add insult to injury there's an additional set of steps leading up 20 feet or so to the back tees on the sixth before you're finally allowed to start downhill (only to return uphill several more times later in the round).

Clambering up those two dozen steps really does feel like "insult to injury".

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 04:46:03 PM »
Considering how many times I've played from down there, I should have a picture of the steps on Tobacco Road's 11th Hole greenside "bunker."

Wait - found one:

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 05:30:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for the pics.  Last question, what is the highest ranked golf courses in the world with stairs that are in play, Tees, greens bunkers?

Lester

Royal St George's could be close. 

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2014, 07:07:48 AM »
I noticed this little flight on 13a at Lost Farm last week. Leading down into a right greenside bunker...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:45 AM »
A lot of these stairs are relatively recent additions.  Thirty years ago, Woodhall Spa didn't have stairs down into those bunkers -- a further deterrent for hitting into them.  Brancaster had far fewer, as well.

Ken Moum

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
Neil, I think the argument  for those last two has to be getting player to use the steps instead of climbing over those ragged edges.

Bunker margins  like that are pretty vulnerable to damage.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

John Kirk

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
Simple wooden stairs into bunkers as shown in the preceding photographs are really cool.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »

How about Western Gailes? Does anyone have a photo?

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back