News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Lester George

Stairs on Notable Courses
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:37:38 PM »
Considering the feasibility of stairs on the golf course.  Bunkers with stairs, greensides with stairs, tees that have stairs.  Some are formal (brick, stone, etc) some are not (railroad ties, landscaping timbers, etc) and so on.

What notable golf courses (maybe top 100 off some list) have stairs.  Which stairs are famous, noteworthy, infamous?

Please send examples (pictures) of your selections. Thanks

Lester

jonathan_becker

Re: Stairs on Notable Courses
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 03:51:43 PM »
The walk up to #3 tee at Barnbougle

Greenside on #18 at Seminole

Joey Chase

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
I am sorry to say I do not have photos of Garden City.  It has several bunkers with stairs in them.  It was my first experience on such a course.  It almost has an intimidation factor seeing them as they elude to a deep floor.  I loved the bunkers there very much, and will never forget them. Also Woodhall Spa has several fantastic bunkers with stairs.  
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:14:05 PM by Joey Chase »

Adam Warren

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:52:53 PM »
Someone else could confirm, but I seem to remember them at 14/15 at Valhalla.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Back of the 14th green up to the top of the hill, Friars Head.   You can see them in this photo but just barely.   It's a pretty good hike.   This takes you from the potato field holes back up to the dunes.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 05:16:53 PM »
Walking down from the 10th tee at Cruden Bay holding on tight to a trolley lest it race ahead of you and crash down the hill - which I've seen happen more than once. A couple of others at CB, not counting up the hill on the 9th, but including down/up to the 14th green/15th tee, up to the 17th tee, and once upon a time, up the steep stepped ridge to the clubhouse which was truly delightful when you were knackered after 18-holes in severe wind/rain and you have to pull a trolley up the steps as well. Happy days in a paradise like spot.
atb

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
     We have stairs entering the front greenside bunker on #5 at Rolling Green  ...  thanks, I must say, to me.  It took me 3 years to convince Jim Nagle.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 06:09:11 PM »
     We have stairs entering the front greenside bunker on #5 at Rolling Green  ...  thanks, I must say, to me.  It took me 3 years to convince Jim Nagle.

Now I know who to blame.

:)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:55 PM »
Some serious stairs... the 16th at Cape Kidnappers.

But, they do lead to this view!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 07:28:57 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »
Part of the stairs to the 14th tee at Pac Dunes can be seen in the background.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
Ran has captured the stairs behind the 4th green to the 5th tee, and the much smaller set behind the 8th green to the 9th tee at Royal County Down in his course tour.

Tim Martin

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »

Greenside bunker on # 2 at Yale.
Yale is loaded with sets of stairs to get out of bunkers and up on greens.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:25:53 PM »
NGLA

Bill Brightly

Stephen Pellegrino

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:10 PM »
There are some fairly significant timber stairs up to the 4th tee box at TCC. One could get winded climbing those stairs (no judgement please). The location of the original tee box (used in the 1913 US Open) is at the base of these wooden stairs, but the tee box is NLE.

-Stephen

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »
There are some stairs left of the 8th tee at Kingston Heath, allowing a view of the blind landing zone, as well as pin position on the nearby 9th green. I'll post a pic this time next week.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Eric Smith

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 12:40:03 AM »
Old Macdonald

Pacific Dunes

Machrihanish Dunes

Prestwick

National Golf Links

True Blue

Sequatchie Valley

Joey Chase

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 01:57:46 AM »
Here are the stairs on the 5th at Woodhall Spa

And the stairs leading to the 17th green at Merion.  I think there is a famous photo of Bobby Jones walking down this staircase.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 02:20:04 AM by Joey Chase »

Joey Chase

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 02:18:09 AM »
There are a good number of stairs at Brancaster as well;

The stairs leading to the famous 5th green

The ninth green

And the 18th green

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 04:24:10 AM »
Prairie Dunes

Matthew Rose

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 04:37:32 AM »
Seems like every Pete Dye course has at least one somewhere.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

James Boon

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 05:34:09 AM »
I've always thought of STEPS (not stairs, to me that's short for a staircase, with stringers, inside etc) ::) on golf courses as being a common feature. Steps up to tees or down into bunkers can be seen on most courses I can think of, especially links and the more rugged heathland courses.  

As for being famous, or infamous, perhaps we need to wait for the approach shot of an Open Championship contender to ricochet off some steps into a bunker and either into the long rough or up onto the green, before they reach such heights?

The 4th tee at Burnham & Berrow was the first set of steps that came to mind, followed by the steps up to the 6th tee at Cavendish, but there are plenty of others:

Royal Dornoch, 3rd Tee

Royal Dornoch, 8th Tee

Castle Stuart, 11th Tee

Brancaster has those shown previously by Joey though I think that the 4th green? But again, so many other examples:

Brancaster, 10th Hole

Woodhall Spa, 3rd Hole

Ganton, 10th Hole

And finally, there are these steps at Painswick, 5th hole, up and over the Iron Age fortifications

Cheers,

James
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:23:47 AM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jim Tang

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 07:35:35 AM »
Here you go...

Stairs leading to Ballyneal's 15th

Stairs leading away from Ballyneal's 15th green

Arcadia Bluffs

Kingsley Club's 9th

Greywalls

Neil White

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »
From reading and looking at the pictures it is fairly plain to see that some are able to create steps / stairs that are most attractive and sit well: -

and

some that are, well utilitarian in their appearance: -

and others that have you scratching your head as to why?

Ugly....?

and

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
Numerous examples above of wooden steps/stairs without astroturf nailed to them and with no handrails either. What will the health and safety lobby say (sic)!
:)
atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back