News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Dick's Daley Diary Down Under
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 05:26:54 PM »
Sounds like a blast. Those Aussies can party! Have a great time, Unc. Looking forward to seeing the evidence later.

M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 12:06:39 AM »
Dick,

Watch out for the Southerly Busters at KH... they are potent!

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 08:00:44 AM »
You see the gorgeously groomed and presented Australian golf courses on TV, and particularly the Mackensie bunkering locations within the greens
complexes, and the runaways and I hollows, but the allure is so appealing, that it just draws you in.  Looking at the hole corridors and bunker nests along the course is almost hypnotizing. Riviera is the only place else I have ever seen that compares.

Playing Kingston Heath in stiff wind at 67 degrees was excellent.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:51:56 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

James Bennett

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 08:03:14 AM »
Glad it is meeting expectations dick - golf and holiday

I have golf with saltzman Saturday. Might be 'fringing' tomorrow night with him
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 08:10:28 PM »
A lively Friday night pizza dinner with 13 locals was a great evening for Mr. Daley. RM awaits tomorrow morning!  :)

Here's Dick teeing off at KH 8 the day before.

And the 7th looked like this after his drive - note - the Becker plaque recessed into the left of the fairway in the distance...

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 02:52:54 AM »
Saltzman has had 18 at kooyonga, grange west, grange east and today back tee stroke followed by another 18 from the member tees.

I think he is 'playing' the Pacific Ocean tomorrow, before arriving in LA before he left!

Great days for golf with a nice sea breeze this afternoon, sun but a mild 23 degrees.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
I just died and went to heaven!

Royal Melbourne this morning at crack of dawn with a special gentleman.  They had a cultural mega-event here last evening, and though we didn't plan on getting caught up in the middle of what some estimates were 500,000 revelers attending events from 7Pm-7Am (White Night Festival)  I only got 4 hours sleep before teeing off at the most prized golf course on my golf wish list.  Only one hole with BIP from hitting two successive shots off he world.   

It was hard not to focus on the face lift work TD and artists did, that had to be pointed out for the most part, but I played better that the first two courses   I also received a comprehensive tour of the West Course, every hole examined with the boss.  ;-)  We met up with Matthew Molica again as he prepared to tee off in a members competition. 

David Elvins was kind enough to pick up Jo Ann and I at our hotel to take us to the pizza party at a neighborhood place that was a total winner.  And, most folk who know me, know I likes and knows my pizza.   ;D

We finished the magical day with the kindred spirit, Mark Furgeson.  I'm so tired I can't see straight.  But, it is a good kind of tired that is most satisfying.  8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark_F

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
It was great to finally catch up with you and Jo Ann last night RJ.  Glad the trip has been so good, and you had perfect Melbourne weather for your dream date.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
How much are bungalows in the sandbelt?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

Please buy one with a guest room.

This thread makes me green with envy, in the best way possible. A longtime favorite contributor, meeting up with my friends on the other side of the globe whom I haven't yet met - damn, that's good stuff.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »
Dick - very glad you had an enjoyable vacation. And also glad that, judging from the photo and descriptions, the back troubles that had plagued you for a while seem to have gotten better. Yes? If so, what did the trick?

Peter

Mark_F

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »

Adam,

i'm not sure even Patrick Mucci would be able to afford a a dwelling on the Sandbelt.  ;D

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
More pictures please! Very nice thread and obvious hospitality from the Aussies.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
Dick - very glad ... the back troubles that had plagued you for a while seem to have gotten better. Yes? If so, what did the trick?

Peter

Less Pizza? ;D

Gotta second George on a favorite poster having a great trip!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 07:29:04 PM »
Dick - very glad you had an enjoyable vacation. And also glad that, judging from the photo and descriptions, the back troubles that had plagued you for a while seem to have gotten better. Yes? If so, what did the trick?

Peter

I'm guessing beer.  A lotta beer. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:02 PM »
Ah, Bill - I do have some experience with the 'scotch a cold, beer a fever' approach, but could it be that it works on bad backs too? (GJ - that was a typo, right? I mean, you meant more pizza). RJ - confirm or deny please!

Peter

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »

Peter

I'm guessing beer.  A lotta beer. 
Ginrmous snow blower?

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 04:49:14 AM »
I am disappointed I neglected to get a pic of Dick, Jo Anne and myself today - we could only squeeze in time for a quick coffee and a chat in town today and review of the travelling overland decisions - they have a lot of driving to fit into the 48 hrs down the spectacular but winding Great Ocean Road, Otway National Parkl, 12 Apostles, Port Fairy (Shane) and back to Tullamarine in less than two days.

Both are lovely people, and although a little wired after their first stint driving a car out of Melbourne CBD on the wrong side of the road, etc are having the time of their lives.

Hope to hear more of their adventures when they get time, and I am now perhaps a Greenbay Packer - thru and thru... :)
@theflatsticker

RJ_Daley

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 08:10:16 AM »
Late night at Apollo Bay.   Darn that Saltzman character.  He is mining the landscape dry of birdies before I arrive!    ;D

Look, most of you know of my Italian roots, and my friends know of my description
Of our 25th anniversary trip to Italy a dozen years ago.  We were treated incredibly well then by real blood family.   

But, I do not exagerate one bit when I say that we really have FAMILY gca members inOZ.  I have never been treated so well.   

This darn note pad and posting gets too finicky for me.   And, many of my photos are video.   I'll have to wait til I get home to share some of the scenes I have. 

I waited until I was 65 to take this dream trip to OZ.  Thanks to some very kind gca family, I exceded my wildest dreams to see and play these legendary courses of the sand belt in the company of really fine gents.   

I hope to catch up with Shane tomorrow, and was glad to meet Mr. HUNDRED HOLE OZ, Brett Morrisey.  My godness, he even does pastry and donuts,,,   What more could and old copper wish for in a new friend?

Eric Smith

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
My godness, he even does pastry and donuts,,,   What more could and old copper wish for in a new friend?

Haha! Perfect. Happiest thread ever. Neat that James started it and with everyone else chiming in along the way, really adds to the joy of knowing Dick is having the time of his life down under. Well done, all!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
And, can you believe it;  Andy Gray from Sydney is coming to the 5th major and we will be partners!

Brett looks great in the Packers G hat logo.  Everyone in his city of Geelong just thinks he is one of their own team ballers. 

Peter, hanging upside down on an inversion table helped some. 

More Great Ocean Rd today, then on to Tazzie to have a look w/Gregg Ramsey at the Arms End site, and have a go at Barneygoogle and The Lost Farm.

Met up with a really fun loving couple from Queensland on holiday and after dinner with them, finally had a night stroll in a dark from city lights area to view the southern hemi stars.  Very cool.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:30 PM »
I agree with Eric this is one of those warm and fuzzy threads, and only makes me more excited about planning my trip down there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2014, 06:02:31 PM »
So Dick, how was the flight down?   :o

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
Ach,
I can just imagine RJD and Jo-Anne looking out this fine morning from somewhere on The Great Ocean Road, a most scenic spot if ever there was one, and gazing out in the direction of King Island (golf course duly being built) and beyond to Tasmania the scene of our intrepid traveller's next foray into the wonderful world of golf supplied in this neck of the woods.

Bill,
Judging by the fine time he has been having I suspect one should be worrying about RJD's return flight and will he deign to board it!!

Continue to ava good time Dick!

Cheers and sorry I missed out,

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
So Dick, how was the flight down?   :o

Bill, having just made the trip, I have to say the trip down is remarkably easy and should not be a deterrent to going.  Flights are one stop from most places through SFO or LAX to SYD and the leg to Sydney often leaves around 11pm EST meaning you should get a good (/decent) night's sleep and arrive early morning reasonably refreshed.

Coming home, that's more difficult.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back