News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Curtiss

Was wondering if anyone has played this course in Illinois.
I will be spending some time in chicago this summer and have never played a CB Macdonald course.
Was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it has any of Macdonalds characteristics left.
Is it worth taking my time to play it.

I see it was the location of the first Chicago Golf Club.

Sven Nilsen

Re: Downers Grove Golf Club in Chicago- original CB Macdonald course
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »
It took me two seconds to find this thread (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,45309.0.html) and a host of others using the search function.

Please make that your first resort in the future.  There's a ton of information in the back pages, and instead of covering ground we've been over before, you might consider doing a bit of research.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »
Hi Rob,
   There's no original Macdonald left as far as can be determined. Not all of the course actually sits on the original footprint of the course. Some of it does, but the original CGC was on leased land, and when CGC moved to Wheaton, the land was leased by Illinois Golf Club. It eventually folded, and when Belmont Golf Club came along a couple of years later, not all the original land was available. The course was reworked, and has subsequently been remodeled three times since (1976, 1994, 2003). The Belmont version with back-to-back starting par 3s was eliminated in favor of a par 4 in 1994, with a par 3 added elsewhere.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Nigel Islam

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »
Sven thanks for that link, anytime I see the names Lanny Poffo and Randy Savage, the ten year old in me gets a good chuckle :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back