News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stewart Naugler

1914 U.S. Open/Midlothian C.C. (Help)
« on: February 11, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
I'm researching my current employer, Midlothian Country Club, for an upcoming master-plan project. I've read a lot about the 1898 H.J. Tweedie design throughout the years but I've never had the time to do any serious fact checking.

The reason I'm asking for help is because I've been told that Ross did a renovation of Mid-Lo just before the 1914 U.S. Open. It always made sense to me because I know Ross was kind of the "Open Doctor" long before Rees coined the phrase.

I believe I read about Ross renovating Mid-Lo on this board several years ago...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(I haven't found anything concrete in the USGA archives or The American Golfer.)

Jim_Kennedy

Re: 1914 U.S. Open/Midlothian C.C. (Help)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »
Thanks Jim! I'll try to get in touch with him.

I've spoken to several architects but none of them have anything concrete.

(Thanks for the messages Dave and Joe, I'll get back to you sometime today)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
FYI (and FWIW?!):  the Donald Ross Society does not list Midlothian.

http://www.donaldross.org/Resources/Documents/DRSList_Rev_2011.pdf
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
Joe- I know and I have someone willing to look for me at the Pinehurst Tufts Archives in April or May. Hopefully they find something there because I've looked through nearly every online resource.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:32 AM »
Joe- I know and I have someone willing to look for me at the Pinehurst Tufts Archives in April or May. Hopefully they find something there because I've looked through nearly every online resource.

When I do a search of 'midlothian' on my personal collection of articles, I get many hits.  It will take some time to sort through them.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Thanks Joe!

Let me know if you find anything.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
We just did a master plan at our course that is just up the road from you. our greenskeeper previously worked at Mid-Lo and could possibly be of assistance. I have played in a ton of competitive matches with Dave and Joe Rundle, your father/son perennial club champions.

send me a PM if you want. our courses share much local heritage. (tweedie, etc.)

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 02:48:46 PM »
Ian- I'll be in touch! I would love to hear what you have to say about Tweedie and learn more about your master-plan process.

DMoriarty

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »
I don't think I have ever seen anything indicating that Ross renovated the course in or before 1914, and I'll be very surprised if it turns out to be so.   Here is a link to a Max Behr article from September 1914, Golf Illustrated, in which he indicates that, while some changes were made prior to the tournament, he was not impressed.

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1914/gi6l.pdf

The entire article is worth a read because it was written during a period when American golf was very much in transition.  Among other things, American architecture was changing, and Behr was extremely harsh about what he considered the "dark ages" architecture at Midlothian.  Here are a few excerpts:

And it was not, on the whole, a difficult par at that, for Midlothian, from the standpoint of golf architecture, belongs to the dark ages of the science. So far as punishment from misplayed shots, it was simplicity itself. There are no carries that deserve the name and the greens keep "open house." Low scoring was therefore to be expected.

Further along . . .

Without any disparagement to the Midlothian Country Club it must be said that Midlothian is not a course, in its present condition, that would ever be picked again to hold an Open Championship upon, and it is to be sincerely hoped that in future there will be more interest taken in this great event of American professional golf, in order that the professionals may have the privilege of deciding what is to them the great question of the year, upon a course that is a real test of the game. It is true that everything possible was done to stiffen up the holes by new traps and bunkers, but the bringing of an old course, with its antiquated guttie ball hazards, up to the modern standards demanded by the livelier ball is a Herculean task not to be consummated within a short period of a summer's time. If it were possible to imagine a golf hole to be an animate being with any sense of sportsmanship, some of the holes at Midlothian would cry out for help to withstand with some dignity the onslaughts of the most indifferent golfer, leaving out of consideration the skill that only a Redan or Sahara can cope with. If Midlothian is not the test of golf it might be; the lessons of this tournament should go a great way to making it so.

Ouch.   Behr was not alone in his criticism.  In the December GI, John Anderson also laid into the course. "However, there was much fault to be found with the Midlothian course where the Open Championship was held, for it did by no means come up to the standard. For that reason, it was a fortunate thing that the foreign players waited a year before coming to try their luck again. The professionals have got used to going anywhere now and saying nothing, but the game is becoming more and more of a gallery spectacle, and to those who appreciate good golf a chief requisite is to have it played over a good course."   http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1914/gi23f.pdf

When reading the harsh assessments of Midlothian, one should probably keep in mind that great changes in golf course architecture were sweeping the nation, and both Behr and Anderson were staunch advocates of what they viewed as a new and better approach to golf course design.  Perhaps they were making an example out of Midlothian to spur along these changes.

The two articles also provide an interesting snapshot of a time period when the US Open was just starting to come into its own, thanks in part to Quimet's victory over Vardon and Ray the year before.  It is easy to forget that up until around this time, the USOpen was by far the least important of the USGA tournaments.  At one point they had even considered doing away with the US Open because the clubs did not want to host it.  (Myopia stepped up and became the go-to course for these early tournament, even though at one point the Pros threatened to boycott the club because of what some felt was shoddy treatment.) To give you an idea of how the USGA viewed their various tournaments even in 1914, in March of that year Golf Illustrated reported that the USGA would provide Midlothian with $750 dollars to pay expenses incurred hosting the tournament, while the host of the Women's Amateur (Nassau) would get $1000, and the host of the Amateur (Ekwonak) would get $1250.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
Moriarty- In the past year or so I've read everything you just posted and more. The good news is I just got information from a great source regarding Donald Ross and Midlothian. He says Ross was definitely at Midlothian in the two years prior to the U.S. Open. I'll get more information when I talk with him later today or tomorrow.

I don't put much stock into what Mr. Behr and Mr. Anderson wrote because I've talked to countless golf course architects that think Midlothian has some of the best bones in the country. I've also read articles and books in which prominent golfers and legendary golf course architects praise Midlothian before it became an arboretum.

I see this every morning when I get to my desk so I might be a little biased...

My Grandpa, who was a longtime golf course superintendent/club pro, used to say "a great golf course can be judged by it's champions". I don't necessarily agree but he knew a lot more than me.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 10:37:37 AM »
This August 1914 Brooklyn Daily Eagle article indicates many new bunkers were recently added and not by an amateur committee, but "after the approval of the best professional talent obtainable."

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 11:20:59 AM »
I'm thinking the "best professional talent obtainable" was Donald Ross.

Great find Joe!

This is the first time that I've seen this article.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 12:06:07 PM »
SNaugler,    Are you the Supt at Midlo?   The course I think has very good bones but its all about tree removal at your place. The removal of 800 -1000 trees would vastly improve your playing corridors and turf conditions. It would be costly but the results would be dramatic. Look at Beverly and Flossmoor just to mention some neighbors and how those courses vastly improved. Good luck ,   jack

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
Jack- Yes, I probably should have clarified that I'm not an architect for those that don't know me. I know many of the Chicago area GCA members but I haven't had the pleasure to meet many members outside of the Midwest. I'm part of a 2-man team that was hired from Olympia Fields to restore the putting surfaces to proper health. Growing up as a third generation golf course superintendent I fell in love with golf and golf course architecture at a very young age. I always knew of Midlothian because it was mentioned in several books that I read growing up. Though I didn't know how special the place was until I moved to Chicago from Pebble Beach 4-years ago. I started reading more about H.J. Tweedie and that lead me to look at old aerial photos of Midlothian. I cannot express in words how special this place could be if the secondary trees were removed. When the course opened in 1898 there was very few trees on the property. The members could see the grand clubhouse from nearly every vantage point on the course. I often dream about filling in the ponds and turning the trees into native areas. The pond on #12 was originally a gigantic sand pit. Looking at the old aerial photos you can see how the bunkers on #5, #12, and #15 somewhat resembled the green-side bunker on #16 at Sleepy Hollow. There's so many great qualities that could be restored here but that will take time and money. Fortunately, we have some extremely intelligent members on our greens committee that are interested in making this place great again. It won't get done overnight but I'm confident that it can get done and done right with the greens committee we have in place.

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 02:48:56 PM »
Moriarty- In the past year or so I've read everything you just posted and more. The good news is I just got information from a great source regarding Donald Ross and Midlothian. He says Ross was definitely at Midlothian in the two years prior to the U.S. Open. I'll get more information when I talk with him later today or tomorrow.

Great. I hope you share your findings here.  Ross was in the area during the approximate window of time, so it is possible at least.  But we can't just assume it so just because we would like it to be so, just as I don't think we can assume that "best professional talent obtainable" was referring to Ross.  (If we are going down that road, we might as well attach Colt the to project too.)

I don't put much stock into what Mr. Behr and Mr. Anderson wrote because I've talked to countless golf course architects that think Midlothian has some of the best bones in the country. I've also read articles and books in which prominent golfers and legendary golf course architects praise Midlothian before it became an arboretum.

I am not so sure I'd be so quick to disregard the views of Max Behr and John G. Anderson, two of the most prominent and knowledgeable golf writers of the era.  Behr and Anderson had a big advantage over the "countless golf course architects" you've talked to in that they were actually there then, and presumably had a pretty good understanding of how Midlothian was viewed at the time.  At the very least it might make sense to try and understand their harsh assessment in the context of what was ongoing in golf course architecture circa 1914.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't mean any of this as a criticism of Midlothian, and I don't doubt that Midlothian has good bones.  But in the context of what was ongoing in golf course design circa 1914, it seems to have been considered outdated by some of the most prominent authorities of the time.  Looking at the various articles it seemed the criticism focused on the ease of the course and the lack of well placed bunkers to create challenge in the age of the Haskell Ball.  Many courses with "good bones" faced similar challenges. Chicago Golf Club is one such example.  It too was a course with good bones, but was considered antiquated and too easy by around this time, and its bunkering scheme was updated accordingly.  It was very common at the time, to the point that most if not all of the prominent golf courses across the country were altered to the point that it is hard to really understand what gca was like beforehand.

Here is another article, this one written another prominent golf writer, "Verdant Greene," in the Philadelphia Inquirer shortly after the tournament.  While "Greene" perhaps wasn't as explicitly harsh as were Behr and Anderson, he certainly did not think that the course was not up to hosting even a U.S. Open, which (again) was not yet considered much of a prestige event.  From the article:

Last week's outcome again calls attention to the fact that too little consideration is given to placing the United States Open.  Comparatively few clubs are willing to take the fixture, and it is not like adding a $250 to the stipend for holding it will increase its popularity.  To find first a club willing to hold it and secondly to preserve the sectional balance by carrying it West every third year about exhausts the consideration given to it.  Midlothian is a club of ample resources and adequate hospitality, but its courts[sic] as it lies, A. D. 1914, should not have been the scene of this year's open, considering that so many links have been brought up to date.

[Joe, did you ever figure out who Verdant Greene was?  Have you considered Anderson?   Off the top of my head I can think of a few "Greene" articles which might have been drawing on Anderson articles.]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:51:37 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 03:13:55 PM »
David, I do think Anderson is a contender for Verdant Greene.  But I don't have proof.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
Moriarty- When I state that Midlothian has "great bones" I'm not simply referring to one year 1914. Though I have read positive quotes about the course from Walter Hagen, Francis Ouimet, and Bobby Jones. Regardless, my point is that if we properly restored Midlothian I'm fairly certain that it would become a nationally recognized course. This idea has been shared with nearly every architect and golf historian that I've spoken with.

I have very little knowledge of the condition of the course in the summer of 1914.

I just received a message from a historian that has newspaper articles that may prove that Donald Ross was the "best professional talent obtainable". This is what he wrote me "I have a couple of newspaper articles stating Ross was sent by the USGA to work on the course in advance of the Open". 

He also stated that Colt may have spent time on the property around the same time frame.

I'll definitely post any further information that I receive.

I'm extremely grateful to those that have sent me messages and information on the subject. I'll respond as soon as I can!

DMoriarty

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »
SNaughler.  

My name is David.

The articles I linked above (the ones you already had) indicate that the Open was in mid-August and the course was reportedly very firm and dry.  So much so that golfers were driving or almost driving the 271 yard last hole.  

To what year are you suggesting the course be restored?  Surely not circa 1900?  (As much as I would like to see something like that, I cannot imagine it ever happening.)

Joe,

It could be that they were mutual fans or followers, but they do seem to emphasize many of the same points.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 04:37:45 PM by DMoriarty »

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »
SNaugler. 

My name is David.

The articles I linked above (the one's you already had) indicate that the Open was in mid-August and the course was reportedly very firm and dry.  So much so that golfers were driving or almost driving the 271 yard last hole. 

To what year are you suggesting the course be restored?  Surely not circa 1900?  (As much as I would like to see something like that, I cannot imagine it ever happening.)

David- I have read that the course was very firm and as a result Hagen birdied #18 four days in a row. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the lower scoring and Mr. Behr's comments, though I can't say for certain.

I would love to restore the course to Tweedie's original intent but we don't have the resources to do so. I think the masterplan will be more about tree removal and restoring the bunkers. We obviously won't be able to restore the sand-pit on #12 but I think overtime we can restore many of the bunkers that you see in the 1930 aerial. There's also talk of restoring #6, #13, and #16 greens closer to what Tweedie originally built. I personally would love to make #9 and #18 a double green again. I would also like to fill in the ponds on #14 and #18 but I don't see that ever happening. It would be great to restore the original creek on #18 and all the bunkers that were lost when the ponds were constructed.

I think we'll start with removing all the secondary trees like Flossmoor did.

To be honest It's a great question that I can't completely answer at this point in time.

-Stu.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »
Stu,

First order of business is to get those greens in shape.  Take out as many trees as necessary, but those greens need to be alot better.  I played a couple years ago, and the greens were atrocious, maybe why you got your current job.  

I agree with your thoughts on filling in all the ponds too.

Paul O'Connor

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 05:58:18 PM »
Stu,

First order of business is to get those greens in shape.  Take out as many trees as necessary, but those greens need to be alot better.  I played a couple years ago, and the greens were atrocious, maybe why you got your current job. Bingo 

I agree with your thoughts on filling in all the ponds too.

Paul O'Connor

Paul- We've only been at Mid-Lo for a year but I've heard all the horror stories from the past. In the year we've been on property the greens went from having massive bare spots on them to being some of the healthiest greens that I've seen. My Dad, who was at the same club for 40 years as a super/GM, couldn't believe the difference we made in such a short amount of time. The membership has been great to us and they really aloud us to do what we had to do. Coming from perfection at Cypress Point and Olympia Fields I never truly experienced the major issues that we encountered when we first arrived. But through proper aerification, fertility, water management, and sand topdressing we were able to return the greens to proper health by the end of summer. We also installed internal drainage systems in several greens, drilled and filled twice, and deep-tine aerfied every other week. The hardest part was retraining the seasoned staff members to our detail oriented approach.

We even get compliments on how clean and organized our shop is, which is strange to me because that's all I've ever known.

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
Finally have evidence of something that I've thought to be true for years...

I'm blown away.

Thanks Dan!

Donald Ross and Midlothian-

DMoriarty

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 09:40:24 PM »
That is very interesting about Ross having been there in May of 1914, and that the USGA seems to have been behind it.   The timing is consistent with the Golf Illustrated article which mentioned that there was a list minute effort that summer to stiffen the course through the addition of traps and bunkers.  I'd love to know what he suggested and what was done. I saw the one reference to the supposed addition of over a hundred bunkers, but that figure used to get thrown around with about every change to a course, so I am always a bit skeptical when I read it. 

Fascinating also that Behr, Anderson, and "Greene" were so critical even after Ross's apparent efforts (or suggestions) to update the course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 10:14:48 PM »
 My quick read of the Behr piece David posted was that he was against the difficulty of the numerous bunkers and outright difficulty.  It almost sounds like a modern scenario to me - USGA hires well known architect, but has definite ideas of their own.

It would be nice to have been a fly on the clubhouse wall to hear those discussions.  Maybe it really didn't look like typical Ross at all. 45 years later, Ross' plan to toughen Oakland Hills looked a lot like what RTJ implemented, so I figure the USGA had a lot to do with that, as well.

As someone suggested, I wonder how the tastes of the times might figure into this - were they trying to elevate the open?  Embarrass the pros to keep the amateurs looking relatively good?  The mind spins with possibilities.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back