News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

Discuss ;D
jeffmingay.com

Jason Topp

Re: Is it not a big deal Dustin Johnson hit 3w/6i on the 18th green at PB?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
The hole seemed to cause plenty of problems despite playing downwind and being soft.  I am big of a rollback person as anyone but I do not think this example is one of the best.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:23:03 PM »
not really...

he also shank one out of bounds in the 2011 Open.. and how I'm going to say it... mess up sooo bad at the US Open at Pebble....

long drive doesn't mean wins in majors..

golf is multi-faced enough to negate sheer power...

but yes.. these are long shots....was the wind behind

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:24:12 PM »
He didn't win the event, so how is it a big deal that he reached the green with a 6 iron?

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
Discuss ;D

No
The world looks flat from underneath this sand

and baseball would be much better if every at bat was either a strike out or a home run
 :P :P

Watching the fabric of the game change on our watch is no big deal to most evidently
be really "cool" with those 15 inch holes

can't wait to see that full set of gap wedges
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
The first 1,000 times some Tour pro played a Par 5 with less than driver and a long iron it was a big deal. Hard to see how it's a big deal in 2014. They play that way every day now.

Might as well get exercised over the fact we can't play the Stymie any more.

P.S. The forum software's cooperation in my posting this comment confirms my theory...only meaningless semi-off-topic content is readily accepted...posting more substantive material is an obstacle course...this theory explains a lot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:01:27 PM by Brent Hutto »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 05:06:13 PM »
Seems to me this stuff goes on all the time at links courses in the UK. Why single out PB?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kevin_D

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:19 PM »
It is a big deal.  That's why he's engaged to Paulina Gretzky, and you're not.  ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
Doesn't bother me.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
Doesn't bother me.

Ciao

To be fair he needed to hit a 5 ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Percival

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
Doesn't bother me.

Ciao

To be fair he needed to hit a 5 ;D ;D
Jeff, you may be the early leader in the line of the year.
AND, he grinded and grinded and grinded on the eagle putt ( Nantz was BEGGING him to putt it before they went off air) and left it short, right! Hell, Gretsky hit a better putt.

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:38 PM »
It looked good till impact.....

Mark Steffey

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »
all that length and he played the par 3s yesterday bogey-bogey-bogey-par

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
It is a big deal.  That's why he's engaged to Paulina Gretzky, and you're not.  ;D

She actually has a decent swing:

http://instagram.com/p/i9ssJ8Mj5J/

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 08:50:57 PM »

Could she wear that outfit at your home course? She could at mine because we don't have any female members!  ;) But, most club's ladies would be too jealous to let something that hot parade in front of their men.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kevin_D

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:17 PM »

My main takeaway here is that she has no flaws whatsoever.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 09:58:24 PM »
Well, if we're gonna go here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165Vym9ueCA

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 10:19:39 PM »
Dustin Johnson also hit 6 iron on the 100-yard 7th on Saturday. So we can say wind was a factor this weekend.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »
Dustin Johnson also hit 6 iron on the 100-yard 7th on Saturday. So we can say wind was a factor this weekend.

Now that's a big deal!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:10 AM »
Discuss ;D[

Jeff,

Today's 3-woods are suped up clubs and should really be equated with drivers off the tee, hence while it's a terrific feat, with modern day PGA Tour Pro's, it doesn't come as a shock/color]

Jason Thurman

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:58 AM »
Lost in the shuffle of Dustin Johnson's disaster at the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits is that his grounded-club bunker shot was hit with a 6 iron... from 240 yards.

He's a freak. Probably the best athlete in golf. Call me when Zach Johnson does the same thing, and we'll talk.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

astavrides

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:06 AM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:46:25 PM by astavrides »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
It does become a big deal if and when the powers that be at Pebble decide to alter the 18th.  The change could be done in many ways, length, bunkers, trees, etc.  This then in my opinion would be detrimental to the other 99% of the golfers who play there.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tony Ristola

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »
Discuss ;D

I doubt it will be recognized as a problem until someone drives the green! Probably not even then.

Let's face it... the game is corrupted and the supposed defenders and protectors don't care too much. What has happened to golf is beyond perverted; now it's just Monty Python laughable.

I recall Geoff Shakelford in a round table during the Merion Open, and he brought up how the course was tricked up (due o the length of the ball)... if I recall correctly. David Fay basically flipped him the bird verbally.

And that's where golf is at the moment. It's been flipped the bird by the governing bodies that could do something.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »
You know, when 90% of golfers and nearly 100% of the golf "establishment" flip you the bird, so to speak, for banging on about how the game is being destroyed maybe you ought to consider that the end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it issue is merely a minority personal opinion.

A great many people do not care AT ALL about what Dustin Johnson's club selection means to "the game". And there are a few others who actually think the distances strong players hit the ball nowadays is a great thing, a positive development.

In my perfect world, the USGA would have fixed the ball performance limit somewhere in the neighborhood of the Titleist Professional back when they had a chance. But they fact they abdicated their duty and let the ball get tons longer really doesn't seem to have changed the game fundamentally. Yes it has led ignorant clubs and course owners to "Tiger proof" their courses, including defacing some classics. But I'm not sure at all that such defacements would have been avoided were today's golf ball 20% shorter than it is.

In fact I suspect strongly that it would not have mattered. As friend Sean often repeats, people are gonna do what people are gonna do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back