News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 18 Up!
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:46 PM »
There have been at least two extensive photo tours of Barny Dunes, including Kyle Henderson's exceptional tour from his whirlwind Australian trip in 2011: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47613.html

That being said, I had some pretty awesome morning light so I thought some may enjoy a few pictures!

Looking over the 18th hole at first light:

The 9th green from the 1st tee:

Hole 1: Par 5, 506 Meters

« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:33:21 AM by Mark Saltzman »

Adam Makepeace

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 1 Up!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 10:40:59 PM »
Mark,

A great experience - Barnbougle at day break, first group out.

I like #1. I think it gets forgotten due the run of outstanding holes coming up, however I cant find fault with it. Fairway bunker is perfectly situated.

For mine, preferrable to LF #1 although many will disagree.

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 1 Up!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »
Hole 2: Par 4, 381 Meters

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 2 Up!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:00:43 AM »
Hole 3: Par 4, 339 Meters

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 3 Up!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 05:25:58 AM »
Hole 4: Par 4, 271 Meters

And the walk to 5 tee...

Tom_Doak

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 4 Up!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 07:40:05 AM »
Mark:

When I played first off in the morning in December, there were wallabies all over the front nine ... including several on the walk to 5 tee.  Were there none when you played?

I am the biggest [if not only] fan of the 2nd hole.  The bunkers on the left get me nearly every time.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »
The bunkers on the 4th looked far more rugged and natural when I played there (almost 4 years ago now). Have all the bunkers been 'tidied up' or was it just those? Were they having maintenance problems specifically on the high faces on those bunkers?

The walk to the 5th tee is one of the best tee to green walks I've seen.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
Regarding Wallabies 
Were there none when you played?

TD, I hope those in Mark's 3rd photo aren't Tazzie size rats!  The mid summer turf appears healthy on Mark's photos.  Tom, what species and cultivar was seeded or sprigged?  Are you pleased with the yearlong performance of the turf now that it is mature and has gone through several seasons? 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »
Dick,

The Wallabies were scattered all over the first three holes when we played there for Scott Warren's "Boomerang" event.

Check your PM. I am sending you a link to an iPhone video I think you will enjoy.

Mike
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 11:26:24 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
Regarding Wallabies 
Were there none when you played?

TD, I hope those in Mark's 3rd photo aren't Tazzie size rats!  The mid summer turf appears healthy on Mark's photos.  Tom, what species and cultivar was seeded or sprigged?  Are you pleased with the yearlong performance of the turf now that it is mature and has gone through several seasons? 

Oops, I passed over that pic pretty quick because the fairway was so dark, I didn't pay attention to the foreground.

All the grass at Barnbougle is fine fescue -- different cultivars of chewings fescue, creeping red fescue, and hard fescue.  It's been ten years since we planted it so I don't remember the cultivars.  The head greenkeeper, Phil Hill, is making us look like geniuses for choosing it.  It's a great playing surface, though I have had limited chances to test it out in the different seasons -- I've been back three times but always in December!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
Mark:

When I played first off in the morning in December, there were wallabies all over the front nine ... including several on the walk to 5 tee.  Were there none when you played?

I am the biggest [if not only] fan of the 2nd hole.  The bunkers on the left get me nearly every time.

Tom,

There were wallabies everywhere.

On the walk to 5 tee there were a few in the bush on the right.  When one jumped out in front of me I nearly fell off the cliff!  

I like no. 2 as well.  One of those holes where you don't know how difficult the approach is until after you've missed the green.

The only head-scratchers to me were 8: was there any thought to making that a par-5 to shorten the transition from 7?

Second shot on 14: after the option rich second shot on 11, I found the second on 14 to be one-dimensional.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »
The only head-scratchers to me were 8: was there any thought to making that a par-5 to shorten the transition from 7?

Second shot on 14: after the option rich second shot on 11, I found the second on 14 to be one-dimensional.

I dislike the walk from 7 to 8, but I love the two holes.  Originally 7 green was going to be just left of 8 tee, until we decided to turn back into the wind and use that tiny knob for a green site, which then produced a long walk.  We thought about lengthening 8, but had we done so, the second shot would be blind over the left landing area into a narrowing target, followed by a simple pitch for the approach.  It's a much better tee shot AND a much better second shot the way it is now, long walk be damned.

When 14 is downwind, you have to decide whether to go for it in two or not ... on the tee, because you have to play a daring tee shot to the right in order not to run through the fairway and give yourself a chance.  If you're playing for five, it's a boring second shot, but hardly an easy one, as all the lost golf balls in the rough to the left will attest. 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
Refresh my memory on the 4th hole, please. I know the pin is in the front in the photo, but can't you go long on back pins, and the ball will surely feed back onto the green? I thought this was very cool feature that gave you two options on how to play to the green.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 11:01:54 PM »
Hole 5: Par 3, 189 Meters

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 5 Up!
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 03:28:26 AM »
Hole 6: Par 4, 381 Meters

James Bennett

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 6 Up!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 03:36:28 AM »
No bunkers on 6 - in case you missed it.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 6 Up!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
Hole 7: Par 3, 112 Meters

Hole 8: Par 4, 446 Meters

Hole 9: Par 4, 400 Meters

Mark Saltzman

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Front 9 Up!
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 02:33:12 AM »
Hole 10: Par 4, 409 Meters

Hole 11: Par 5, 475 Meters

Hole 12: Par 4, 254 Meters

Hole 13: Par 3, 188 Meters

Tyler Kearns

Re: Barnbougle Dunes (Doak/Clayton) - Photos - Hole 13 Up!
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »
Thankfully the course wasn't terribly busy when I played, so I got to practice a lot of extra putts on #13 green, a truly exceptional surface.

TK

Josh Tarble

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 10:26:41 AM »
I realize #4 gets all the accolades for a short 4, but #12 looks pretty awesome too.  I love the look of the green complex.

Does it play as good as it looks? 

Terry Thornton

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:05 PM »
Josh,

It plays better than it looks, my favourite hole of the 38 at Barnbougle. The easiest approach is from approx 11 o’clock, i.e. long and left. The green surface is table top firm and a great test of your sub 100 metre game.

Mark,

I see what you mean by the tier in the bunker on 12, was it not just a mass of sand blow that hadn’t migrated back into the floor of the bunker?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 05:46:14 PM »
When I played first off in the morning in December, there were wallabies all over the front nine ... including several on the walk to 5 tee.  Were there none when you played?
Which is the proper answer to El Arquitecto's question?

A) They are in Sochi;

B) Putin got there first;

C) The Danish zookeepers got there first.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 05:48:30 PM »
On a serious note, tell me more about the short par three...is it #7?

You show a yawning bunker and a shot from the edge of the green. Have you got any more to go on?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 07:10:27 PM »
As a general rule at what speed are the greens kept?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 02:18:59 AM »
Hole 14: Par 5, 504 Meters

Hole 15: Par 4, 321 Meters

Hole 16: Par 3, 151 Meters

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back