News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: What's wrong with England?
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »
Getting back on topic.....

The Royal Family, jellied eels, Coronation Street, Gordon Brown, the desecration of Sandy Parlour......

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 07:52:11 AM »
Getting back on topic.....

The Royal Family, jellied eels, Coronation Street, Gordon Brown, the desecration of Sandy Parlour......

Ah man, you too don't like the Royals?  I think its the greatest lottery in the world, born by chance into the Royal family!  I will have to take your word on jellied eels and Coronation St.  See the Troon Portland thread for a most enlightened reason for the destruction of Sandy Parlour - though I can't vouch for its accuracy.

Ed

Where would England be without its sidekick Wales? 

Ciao

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:53:55 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jon Earl

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 08:11:50 AM »
Quite clearly Capello hasn't decided on his best formation yet. I think it is time to move away from the traditional 4-4-2 and go with a 4-4-1-1 with Rooney playing just behind the front man. He also needs to grasp that Gerrard and Lampard can't play in the same team a problem that has solved itself for the next 2 games...

Oh, you mean English golf courses. Not a lot in my opinion. The premier clubs charge a lot to play but no more than the equivalents in Scotland and Ireland. Below that level you can expect to pay £40-£50 to play some great courses.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:25:05 AM by Jon Earl »
Splosh! One of the finest sights in the world: the other man's ball dropping in the water - preferably so that he can see it but cannot quite reach it and has therefore to leave it there, thus rendering himself so mad that he loses the next hole as well.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
Sean/Richard

The UK is a Kingdom, and golf was created and matured in a Kingdom. Some of us have fought for Queen & Country, but I would never fight for a Republic or follow the instructions of a President.  You have the right to follow and believe in whatever you want but if in the UK I hope you would show the same respect I would give your First Family if I was visiting the USA.

History and traditions are worth fighting for. We all seem to forget that we work hard to pass on a better start to life for our children and also pass on all our possessions and accumulated wealth & money, in a true and original hereditary fashion so why not continue with the Monarchy its just an extension of hereditary nature. But this site is about golf, not politics, the greed of Man or the rights and wrongs of a Republic.

You prefer the American way of playing Golf, then stay in America, you like the UK game then you are most welcome in our Kingdom. One of the great aspects of golf is that it tends to bring friendship wherever it goes.

Dan Boerger

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »
For anyone doubting the quality of English courses, fly to London and play a half dozen heathland gems. This, IMO, is what puts England over Ireland and Scotland in my book (even giving the links nod to those other countries).
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 11:54:00 AM »
To answer the question when did you last see any advertising for English golf over the pond. Scotland and Ireland market golf with a very high profile England does bu**er all.

With the heaths of Surrey and Berkshire plus Deal, Sandwich, Rye and Littlestone barely 90 mins from the captial London is a world class venue.

I replied to an email today from someone looking for a few days in October, apparently British Airways are virtually giving away transatlantic flights at this time and the pound has fallen 10% on the dollar in the last 2 months making us considerably cheaper than Ireland.
Cave Nil Vino

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Mark

I can't comment on what marketing is done over the pond for golf trips to England but there is little or no marketing of English golf breaks in the UK.  I regularly get mailshots (email & post) from the Welsh, Scottish & Irish tourist boards.  The only English regional tourist board I have seen to promote golf is the North West

Their marketing strapline is "the finest stretch of Championship golf in the world". This may seem a fanciful claim but with Hoylake, Birkdale and Lytham within 50 miles of each other, and a supporting act of Wallasey, Formby, Hillside and Silloth to name but a few there is some merit to it.

Other areas which could do far more to promote golf tourism include
the South East (as you mention) plus the South West, with St Enodoc, Trevose, Saunton, Westward Ho! and Burnham & Berrow.

The Scottish Tourist Board promotes several Braid trails.  Where are the MacKenzie trails for West Yorkshire & other Northern counties?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

David_Tepper

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »
Mark -

The strength of the U.S. $ vs. the British Pound over the past 3-4 weeks has been remarkable. The Pound is at $1.78+ today. That is a pretty large move (10%) for two major currencies in a rather short time frame.

P.S. I think you are are absolutely correct about English golf not being marketed/promoted in the U.S. I don't think I have ever seen an advert anywhere in the U.S. for English golf.

DT

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »
On the whole the only promotion done around here is for the pay-and-play courses where they are keen to get groups of four in two buggies for an inclusive fee which includes coffee and a bacon roll on arrival and lunch afterwards.

The reason there is no concerted effort to attract visitors is that the big name courses have no difficulty in getting enough visitors to make a substantial difference to their annual income. They couldn't accommodate more. A number of high quality courses in our area charge considerable green fees to deter casual visitors, preferring instead to attract blue-chip corporate golf.

When I wrote a guide to all the UK courses for The Times some years ago only about 40% of the clubs and courses I wrote to bothered to return the form giving details. And it wasn't necessarily the Muirfields or Sandwiches which demurred - many of the more private clubs were most helpful. Even some of the resort/hotel courses couldn't be bothered.

Some people who have really put themselves out for me when I've made a visit because I was going to write about them include The Belfry, Slaley Hall, Celtic Manor, Bowood, The Wisley, Chart Hills, East Sussex National, Forest of Arden amongst the newer courses and Swinley Forest, St George's Hill, West Sussex, Royal Ashdown, The Addington, Alwoodley, Ganton, R Birkdale, R Liverpool, R Porthcawl, Little Aston, Notts and many, many others among the older ones. But the best welcome of all is from Wirral Ladies'. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 03:48:16 AM »
Mark whilst I agree a small percentage of clubs are pretty busy, the Scottish and Irish also realise golf brings in huge revenue to local economies. I'm sure there are plenty or 2nd and 3rd tier courses who make a good living "sweeping up" visitors who cannot get on the big name courses but still want a game.

One well known south east  36 hole heathland club was £200k down last year on visitor revenue and that's pre-recession.

Tommy - "It just isn't as quaint or mystical as Ireland or as historic as Scotland"  Tourist Board bullsh*te. Even my little town has a 10th C castle mound and a 13th C castle.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 09:12:32 AM »
Mark -

The strength of the U.S. $ vs. the British Pound over the past 3-4 weeks has been remarkable. The Pound is at $1.78+ today. That is a pretty large move (10%) for two major currencies in a rather short time frame.

P.S. I think you are are absolutely correct about English golf not being marketed/promoted in the U.S. I don't think I have ever seen an advert anywhere in the U.S. for English golf.

DT

Timing is everything.  The pound was $2 when we were there in June.  :P

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back