News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

While we're young vs It can wait
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:29:35 PM »
I have never wanted to give up golfing so hard in my life. What does the USGA, PGA or GCSAA do that doesn't hurt the game every time they blitz the media?  Everything is a mixed message.

John Kavanaugh

Re: While we're young vs It can wait
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
The military appreciation hole is an embarrassment. Saluting a golf flag while our Olympic athletes wear it as a Superman cape. Please.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 06:56:56 PM »
There are plenty of open bowling leagues looking for interested participants.

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:07:43 PM »

Have you watched bowling lately?  Here is an example why I won't be seen at the lane. This guy used to have pride. Not to mention the blue oil. http://www.peteweberbowling.com

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »

Have you watched bowling lately?  Here is an example why I won't be seen at the lane. This guy used to have pride. Not to mention the blue oil. http://www.peteweberbowling.com

Haven't seen much pro bowling lately. But I'm a huge fan of the bad boy of pro bowling--Pete D Weber, Jr., or as us in the know call him, PDW. Any dude who uses the crotch chop to intimidate the field is my kinda guy.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 07:15:17 PM by Brian Hoover »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 07:20:13 PM »
PDW is no HHH. I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Golf Now has made a clown out of Old Tom Morris. Go Play...Go away. I hope Melvyn is getting royalties.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 07:22:08 PM »
PDW is no HHH. I am surprised that no one has mentioned that Golf Now has made a clown out of Old Tom Morris. Go Play...Go away. I hope Melvyn is getting royalties.

It is revolting.
If I were Melvyn I'd be far more upset about this than any cart ::) ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 07:38:51 PM »
I lost all hope when yesterday, in the spirit of the Winter Olympics, I called and asked permission to hike the snow covered fairways of my home course. After some consideration I was called back and told that I could if I stayed on the cart paths. I don't care how many four year educated supers we have on staff that is idiocy. We have not seen temps above 20 for weeks. Worst of all from a liability standpoint the cart paths are severely sloped and ice covered. I am afraid we are far from the demise of the game. Yes, it can get worse.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
The great thing about golf is you can ignore the hell out of what the ruling bodies, television, whoever else pisses you off.  Forget all that and go out with your best buddies and carry eight clubs, play match play, enjoy.  It's still a wonderful game. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
The great thing about golf is you can ignore the hell out of what the ruling bodies, television, whoever else pisses you off.  Forget all that and go out with your best buddies and carry eight clubs, play match play, enjoy.  It's still a wonderful game. 

Yes you can and then the USGA will tell you that someday you too might win the AT&T shooting 31 under.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
Bowling now looks like the future that Taylormade has in plan for us.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:12 PM »
John,
Associations only exist for themselves in most cases.  Creating problems within the game or industry for them to fix themselves is part of it....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 08:50:06 PM »
This is the kind of attitude I want to see in sports.

I am PDW!!

Choke on that, baby!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 08:59:31 PM »
Watching the slopestyle snowboarders makes me think that Duval had the right idea all along. Those athletes have the right attitude.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »

Yes you can and then the USGA will tell you that someday you too might win the AT&T shooting 31 under.

Not sure I follow that, but what the hell, go for it!   ;D

Nigel Islam

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 09:20:11 PM »
John is right about riding a golf cart on the paths around here. I've been coming home and doing Rockford turns in my driveway the ice is so thick!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
Nigel, go to Gander Mountain and pick up some Yaktrax. My wife and I did ten miles today along the river without a slip. https://www.yaktrax.com/product/pro

BCowan

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 09:50:06 PM »

It is revolting.

Melvyn told me that he emailed them expressing his unhappiness!  He thinks the guy is awful!  For golfnow's sake they better not put Old Tom in a cart

Nigel Islam

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 10:09:57 PM »
Nigel, go to Gander Mountain and pick up some Yaktrax. My wife and I did ten miles today along the river without a slip. https://www.yaktrax.com/product/pro

I was doing it on purpose for fun ;) You probably could have played a hard driver bump and run off the ice on 18 and drive the green!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »
Bowling now looks like the future that Taylormade has in plan for us.

Will they be making the lane NARROWER and the PINS bigger too???? ;D
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 10:13:30 PM »

It is revolting.

Melvyn told me that he emailed them expressing his unhappiness!  He thinks the guy is awful!  For golfnow's sake they better not put Old Tom in a cart

Melvyn is upset? I find that tough to believe. He seemed like such a pleasant, easy-going fellow. I think he's probably upset because he knows that, in all likelihood, Old Tom probably would choose to take a cart if he were here today.

Those commercials are really stupid. Why does Old Tom try to pay a bar bill with a bird? What am I missing? And the other guy seems like a total dork.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:17:48 PM by Brian Hoover »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »
I have never wanted to give up golfing so hard in my life. What does the USGA, PGA or GCSAA do that doesn't hurt the game every time they blitz the media?  Everything is a mixed message.

JakaB,

Could you be more specific.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
I lost all hope when yesterday, in the spirit of the Winter Olympics, I called and asked permission to hike the snow covered fairways of my home course. After some consideration I was called back and told that I could if I stayed on the cart paths. I don't care how many four year educated supers we have on staff that is idiocy. We have not seen temps above 20 for weeks. Worst of all from a liability standpoint the cart paths are severely sloped and ice covered. I am afraid we are far from the demise of the game. Yes, it can get worse.

JakaB,

Shame on you.

Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission ! ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back