News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark Pritchett

Mount Vintage-North Augusta, South Carolina-Closes
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Mount Vintage is a Tom Jackson designed course that hosted an LPGA event for a few years. 

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2014-02-07/mount-vintage-plantation-golf-club-closed-its-doors-friday?v=1391824193

jeffwarne

Re: Mount Vintage-North Augusta, South Carolina-Closes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
Tough to compete when you can play Aiken GC or Midland valley CC for $20.
a look at the bridge in the background tells you all you need to know about how wisely money was spent there in its development.
those homes won't have a whole lot of value looking at a weed patch----vicious cycle when the golf can't support itself.
good thing they were wise enough to build a third nine in '08 ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rees Milikin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Some places are meant to close.  If someone tries to save this course then their sanity should be questioned.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
Some places are meant to close.  If someone tries to save this course then their sanity should be questioned.

Why do you say that, Rees?

The original 18 is a good course and fun to play. The third nine, on the other hand, is unfortunate and should never have been built.

I hope they can find a way to reopen.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
I did enjoy my one round there back a couple years after it opens. Pretty much a "cart ball" course although I walked and it wasn't too spread out (my modern housing development standards). A lot of the greens had subtle breaks that worked against the surrounding topography, which is always nice.

It was a bit gold-plated for the kind of course it was, in the location it was. Fancy bridge, etc.

And I agree it was sheer idiocy to build nine more holes right in the midst of the big downturn.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »

Why do you say that, Rees?

The original 18 is a good course and fun to play. The third nine, on the other hand, is unfortunate and should never have been built.

I hope they can find a way to reopen.

I was a little harsh the phrasing of my comments.  However, I tend to think that when some makes the financial decision of adding an additional 9 holes during a depression, then they are asking for failure.  Also, with the location of the course and the lack of development in that area, investing in that course would be unwise.

I only played it once and had a good time, but not a course I ever thought about playing again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back