News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pritchett

Mount Vintage-North Augusta, South Carolina-Closes
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Mount Vintage is a Tom Jackson designed course that hosted an LPGA event for a few years. 

http://chronicle.augusta.com/sports/golf/2014-02-07/mount-vintage-plantation-golf-club-closed-its-doors-friday?v=1391824193

jeffwarne

Re: Mount Vintage-North Augusta, South Carolina-Closes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
Tough to compete when you can play Aiken GC or Midland valley CC for $20.
a look at the bridge in the background tells you all you need to know about how wisely money was spent there in its development.
those homes won't have a whole lot of value looking at a weed patch----vicious cycle when the golf can't support itself.
good thing they were wise enough to build a third nine in '08 ::) ::)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rees Milikin

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:11:30 PM »
Some places are meant to close.  If someone tries to save this course then their sanity should be questioned.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:28:01 PM »
Some places are meant to close.  If someone tries to save this course then their sanity should be questioned.

Why do you say that, Rees?

The original 18 is a good course and fun to play. The third nine, on the other hand, is unfortunate and should never have been built.

I hope they can find a way to reopen.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
I did enjoy my one round there back a couple years after it opens. Pretty much a "cart ball" course although I walked and it wasn't too spread out (my modern housing development standards). A lot of the greens had subtle breaks that worked against the surrounding topography, which is always nice.

It was a bit gold-plated for the kind of course it was, in the location it was. Fancy bridge, etc.

And I agree it was sheer idiocy to build nine more holes right in the midst of the big downturn.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »

Why do you say that, Rees?

The original 18 is a good course and fun to play. The third nine, on the other hand, is unfortunate and should never have been built.

I hope they can find a way to reopen.

I was a little harsh the phrasing of my comments.  However, I tend to think that when some makes the financial decision of adding an additional 9 holes during a depression, then they are asking for failure.  Also, with the location of the course and the lack of development in that area, investing in that course would be unwise.

I only played it once and had a good time, but not a course I ever thought about playing again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back