News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Sponcia

Favorite Tree Quotes?
« on: February 07, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »
While many of the top 50 clubs in the US have undergone tree removal programs, the same cannot be said for their post-1950 counterparts.

My theory is...it is much harder for a course without the prerequisite pedigree to see the benefit, thus many grow more confined year over year.

When you or I carefully present 'evidence' from an educated and rationale viewpoint, we are lambasted as 'tree-haters', and (often) become club pariahs.

I think what first opened my eyes more than anything was the quotes that have been floated over the years from the 'golden age' architects, and those of their modern-day counterparts.  What I would like to collect here are your favorites, with the goal to compile them for future board and green committee members to use.  Please, fire away!
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Garland Bayley

Re: Favorite Tree Quotes?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:03 AM »
Not golden age.

"Trees crowd playing corridors and limit recovery play, diminishing many of the strategic options that make golf on sandy terrain special."

George Waters, Sand and Golf, pg. 100
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 03:35:27 AM »
"Trees are 90% air." Jack Nicklaus.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 06:33:12 AM »
The best trees are between the shots - Was once attributed to Ron Prichard
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
I prefer my own quote (and use it often)

Sure, I can save that tree.....just tell me where you want me to stack the logs.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
I'm fond of this quote from H.S. Colt:

"It is more or less accepted fact that trees are not the best of hazards, for the obvious reason that they unfortunately afford but slight opportunity for the display of golfing skill in extricating the ball from their clutches…but they are undoubtedly charming features in a landscape view."

A good one from George Thomas:

"Trees and shrubbery beautify the course, and natural growth should never be cut down if it is possible to save it; but he who insists on preserving a tree where it spoils a shot should have nothing to say about golf course construction."

But my favourite comes from Donald Ross:

“Trees should serve perhaps as the scenery, but never as part of the stage.”

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:13:19 AM »
"Playing down fairways bordered by straight lines of trees is not only unartistic but makes tedious and uninteresting golf. Many green committees ruin one's handiwork by planting trees like rows of soldiers along the borders of the fairways. Alternatively, groups of trees, planted irregularly, create fascinating golf, and give players many opportunities of showing their skill and judgement in slicing, pulling round, or attempting to loft over them. Some of the most spectacular shots I have ever seen have been around, over or through narrow gaps in trees."

Alister MacKenzie
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 06:48:50 PM »
"I think that hit the trunk"   ;D
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
I'm fond of this quote from H.S. Colt:

"It is more or less accepted fact that trees are not the best of hazards, for the obvious reason that they unfortunately afford but slight opportunity for the display of golfing skill in extricating the ball from their clutches…but they are undoubtedly charming features in a landscape view."

A good one from George Thomas:

"Trees and shrubbery beautify the course, and natural growth should never be cut down if it is possible to save it; but he who insists on preserving a tree where it spoils a shot should have nothing to say about golf course construction."

But my favourite comes from Donald Ross:

“Trees should serve perhaps as the scenery, but never as part of the stage.”

Those are great Ian.  I like two by Dr. Klein:

“...if a tree needs to be trimmed, it's easier and better just to cut it down altogether. If it needs trimming, it doesn't belong there”.

"My basic point is that most people who (literally) embrace trees on golf courses are more interested in trees than golf. That goes for most of those arborists' reports that look to protect trees and don't bother to integrate trees with golf and golf turfgrass".
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back