News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

TPC Scottsdale
« on: October 23, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
Two Scottsdale residents have sued the city and its top officials for what they claim is an illegal subsidy to TPC Scottsdale, home of the Waste Management Phoenix Open.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Maricopa County Superior Court, alleges Scottsdale signed off on an amendment to a contract last year requiring the city to pay more than $20 million to make improvements at the golf complex at 17020 N. Hayden Road.

Scottsdale will receive roughly $4 million in return, the suit says. The suit claims the benefits “do not begin to approximate the value of the city handouts.”

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20131022residents-file-suit-over-subsidy-tpc-scottsdale.html?nclick_check=1
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jerry Kluger

Re: TPC Scottsdale
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:21:09 PM »
It is tough to stop government from going forward with something it feels is in the best interests of the citizens.  You have to try and elect new officials to overturn what is being done.  See: Obamacare

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
Steve,

Have you (or any other AZ member) been out to the Stadium course since the work they did there this summer? I'm curious if there's anything obvious or if it was really all just irrigation and other "invisible" work.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »
Matt,

The next time I visit TPC Scottsdale will be at the PHX Open in late January so I can't comment on the work.  The course is not on my rota due to their high green fees.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 01:38:03 PM »
I didn't know they were doing work this year.  I believe the major work is slated for next year. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »
City Council meeting tonight. Work scheduled to begin soon if project approved. Details here:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/golf/phoenixopen/articles/20140203phoenix-open-renovation-plans-follow-huge-success.html

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Matt,

The next time I visit TPC Scottsdale will be at the PHX Open in late January so I can't comment on the work.  The course is not on my rota due to their high green fees.

Have the green fees on the Desert Course gone up?   I think they call it "The Champions Course" now; sounds more expensive. 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:07:03 PM »
Bill.

Prime season rates at Champions are about $150 rack rate and about $99 on golfnow.  I played there last year and even for the discounted rate there are other lower priced options that I'd rather play- 500 Club for example.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
Bill.

Prime season rates at Champions are about $150 rack rate and about $99 on golfnow.  I played there last year and even for the discounted rate there are other lower priced options that I'd rather play- 500 Club for example.

Soon!

Tom Kelly

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 05:26:25 AM »
$15 milliion on "subtle changes" and "whiter sand"?!

Edit: sorry it's only the $9 million to be spent on the course...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:38:31 AM by Tom Kelly »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 12:14:33 AM »
I'm sad to hear the double fairway at 13 (really one fairway with a large desert island in it) will be a victim of the renovation. Could still be a fun hole, but there's a lot of charm in the current version IMO.

Tom Yost

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 04:25:38 PM »
Have the green fees on the Desert Course gone up?   I think they call it "The Champions Course" now; sounds more expensive. 

Bill, the name change came about 6 years ago along with a $12M redo of the Desert Course.  Randy Heckenkemper (a former Weiskopf/Morrish associate) did the job which kept the same basic routing, but by moving greens, tees and reconfiguring some holes, he was able to stretch out the old 6400 yard par 70 layout to almost 7200 yards par 72.

And it came with a price hike, imagine that.  Not quite the rate they get at the neighboring Stadium course and I believe they have two tier rate system (resident/non-resident).  There is however, an unpublished walking rate of $55 high season for residents and non-residents alike.   It's a good walk but I think I liked the old course better.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 05:02:59 PM »
off the topic but better than a new thread

Going to be in Scottsdale staying very near TPC next week.
Is the TPC practice facility open to the public(for a fee) without playing the courses?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »
Yes, I've just gone to the range there on several occasions. They give you a cart (if you want one, its a good hike) and the short game area is adjacent to the range.
Be the ball

astavrides

Re: TPC Scottsdale New
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:29 AM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:47:46 PM by astavrides »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
I really enjoy the Champions course. I think it's more challenging than the Stadium next door.

Tom Yost

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
Seems the city is fielding yet another lawsuit from the same folks regarding public funds used to renovate the McDowell Mountain Golf course (formerly The Sanctuary) in 2011.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/20140207scottsdale-lawsuit-golf-club.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back