News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Best wool socks
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
I'm on it!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bruce Leland

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »
Can't speak to the Kentwool as I have yet to try them but for winter in the Northland of Minnesota I swear by my Filson Merino wool socks.
Doing my part to get past 2 pages....
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:16:14 PM by David_Tepper »

Michael Essig

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
FYI, on-line, Costco sells the SmartWool sock under the SmartWool name.

http://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=sock

Paul Jones

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
Kentwool are great, but I enjoy variety of thickness with Smartwool.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

mike_beene

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 01:39:14 AM »
We are not anything close to a top 100 club but we have Kentwool in the pro shop!

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 10:31:12 AM »
Alright, I have been convinced to try them again.  I have two pair of kentwool golf performance socks and they are too small.  I am not sure of the size, I am hoping they are large.  I wear a size 13 shoe.  The long socks are fabulous.

So I just ordered one pair of the golf socks, XL, hoping they are different than the ones I currently own.  It says I can send them back, so I will see.  I see one other on their customer comments has the same issue.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Will MacEwen

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
Golfing in cold weather:

wool socks with a little vaseline
long johns
wool pants
undershirt
synthetic golf shirt
toque

wool sweater or fleece top as well but if you are walking it may not be needed. 

I just buy cheap wool work socks and have never had an issue playing in very cold and damp conditions.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 11:02:48 AM »
I just buy cheap wool work socks and have never had an issue playing in very cold and damp conditions.

At the King Putter a few years back, I am one of two people on the range at Bandon before my morning round, three layers on, fully-lined rain suit, winter gloves, etc. and still freezing my butt off.  I give up on getting warmed up after a few shots and while walking away, I glance at the other guy some distance from me.  He is wearing a short sleeve shirt, maybe a golf vest, whacking away like he was at Palm Springs.  Later, after discovering that he was part of the group, I introduced myself and asked him if he had a special mind control technique to overcome the effects of the cold.  Mr. MacEwen says nah, he was wearing a "wife beater" under his shirt and was quite warm.  I am surprised he owns a pair of wool socks.  I am a cotton man myself; have never worn wool socks.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 12:01:30 PM »

I am a cotton man myself; have never worn wool socks.

Lou, you are missing out.  Try some good wool blend socks the next time you play on a cold day.  You'll be kicking yourself with your wool-clad feet for waiting so long.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Paul Jones

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
Alright, I have been convinced to try them again.  I have two pair of kentwool golf performance socks and they are too small.  I am not sure of the size, I am hoping they are large.  I wear a size 13 shoe.  The long socks are fabulous.

So I just ordered one pair of the golf socks, XL, hoping they are different than the ones I currently own.  It says I can send them back, so I will see.  I see one other on their customer comments has the same issue.

Lynn,

I bought the Kentwool Large Performance Socks and they were too small - I wear a size 11.5.  I then ordered the X Large and they just fit.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

JC Jones

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »
Terry,

On the off chance the thread doesn't cooperate PM me your mailing address and I will send you a pair.

Mike

Are they used?  If so, I'll take them.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
Filson socks on sale!

http://www.filson.com/search/?q=socks

Anyone tried LL Bean?

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/502854?page=mens-socks&nav=gnro-hp

The LL Bean Rag Wool is my go to Winter and hunting sock. Old school but perfect.
H.P.S.

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2014, 03:47:38 AM »
What sort of weather do you lot play in?  I grew up playing winter golf in Michigan and still play a lot of winter golf in England - never felt the need to keep my feet warmer than they already get by walking.  Same for the legs.  A pair of trousers does the job if you keep moving.  The only time I have worn wool on my feet or put on a pair of ljs is when hunting - a lot of standing about that is!  

Y'all must have soft tootsies.

Do the wool socks offer anything other than warmth?  

I want to see the ultimate skep purchase a pair - kick on Mr Lavin.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2014, 09:18:16 AM »
Do the wool socks offer anything other than warmth?  

In a word, yes...

I am a big believer in wool as a performance fabric - everything from socks to base layers, to polos and hats, and this come from someone who spent a few years working at the company that really innovated in the performance fabric (polyester) industry...

Below is an image I cut from the Ibex website that speaks to the benefits of wool - Ibex by the way makes a great product...

Scott Weersing

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 07:37:46 AM »

Thanks to all you provided input and feedback. I went with one pair of Smartwool hiker socks and another thin black part of Smartwool socks that I picked up at Dick's Sporting Goods here in Virginia Beach. I tried out the hiker socks on Sunday and they were great on a day when it was 45 degrees and wet, dormant bermuda. It was not anything like the conditions at Bandon but it was at least golf in some form.

RDecker

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
If you can find them Darn Tough brand are way better than smartwool and last twice as long.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back