News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Felton

Rank these courses amongst themselves
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:22:26 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking at playing in some qualifiers for some Met area events this year. I need to decide where I'm going to be playing these qualifiers and I'd like, where possible, to opt for the best of the options. To which end, how would you rank these courses?

Group A

Westhampton CC
Richmond County CC
Knollwood
Deal G&CC
Glen Head GC

Group B

Grossingers
Long Island National
Montammy
Woodmere
Glen Arbor

Group C

Laurel Links
Wee Burn
Forest Hill Field Club
Hollow Brook
Morris County
Nissequogue

Thanks!

Michael

Dan Delaney 🐮

Re: Rank these courses amongst themselves
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »
Michael - All depends on your objectives.  

If exposure to architectural gems is the goal, there's a few good options here.  If qualifying is higher prioritiy, then I'd match them up against the strengths of your game and a perception of ability to score.  That would change my opinion quite a bit with more than a few on the list below... I'd never send an average tournament putter out to Morris County blind for a qualifier.  But if you want to see a solid Raynor with a solid mix of templates and great bones, go for it.

Still relatively new to the Met - others here will be able to help more, but happy to take a shot if you let us know.

DD

Michael Felton

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »
Qualifying would be nice. Especially for group B as the tournament itself (the Met Am) is at The Creek this year and that's one I really want to play. I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage any practice rounds, so I guess I'd probably avoid somewhere that had lots of blind shots, but my game is fairly broad. I'm a decent putter and I have a good long game. My short game is probably my weakest point, but that's going to be an issue basically anywhere. I guess somewhere where I can putt from around the greens would be good.

One thing I want to avoid is houses on the course if I can. Otherwise, I think that architectural merit is probably what I'm looking for.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:33:18 PM »
If your desire is to play at the most architecturally interesting one(s) in each bracket, I'd limit it to the following:

Westhampton
Deal

Glen Arbor
LI Nartional

Laural Links
Morris County

Cheers!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill Brightly

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »
I have not played all in Group C. But if you want a course with no houses, scratch Forest Hills. It is an interesting, lesser-known Tillinghast (with a few unfortunate member-inspired changes) that I like because great length is not required, accuracy and strategy is critical. But the greens can be be treacherous, you can't be past the pin if they're rolling. The tenth hole always gives me the willies: elevated tee on short par four with long, straight row of small houses about ten yards off the right side of the fairway from the tee to the green! Heavily treed on left. Squeeze your cheeks and hit it straight!

I might say much the same thing about Morris County. Interesting Raynor design, not that long. But may not favor your game.

I'll say this: you DEFINITELY need to figure out a way to qualify, because the Creek is really special and you will love it.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
Lapper & Brightly,

You're both MORONS.

The answer to the question, which nobody but Michael Felton knows, is, which course best suits his game, factoring in the weather conditions at the time of year that he'll be qualifying.

Is he a short hitter, a long hitter, a good wind player, a good putter on fast/slow, flat/contoured greens, etc., etc..

His stated object is to qualify, so the architecture, in the absolute, is irrelevant.

The only consideration is what course best suits HIS PARTICULAR GAME, and that's the course he should choose, with the objective of qualifying for three tournaments being his stated goal.

And so far, it appears that he's the only one that knows his game.

Michael,

It's not a very intelligent question, but then again, you came to the right place for the answer, as there are nothing but morons all too willing to suggest an uninformed answer

V. Kmetz

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:29:04 PM »
Mike (and Pat too)

Before I hear Mike's suitability for any particular type of course:

Group A:
I don't know the others but I can tell you what the quailfying number will be for Knollwood (which tournament is that, Westchester Am?)

A. If they take 30 golfers and it involves pros, it will be 74-75
B. If only amateurs, shoot 79 and you're always in at Knollwood (ok 78...)

Group B:

If you're an agressive - go for it type... Glen Arbor, you can go for a lot of stuff there and remain out of the triple bogey shit and still keep pars with a sensible throttle back when you desire, or if your poise seems to be escaping.

If it works my schedule, and its your decision to play those two; I'll loop for you at either track...honestly (my rates are only $950.00 per bag - or $9.50, I can't remember)

cheers

vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
    Hey, Pat

Heading down to the annual meeting at Pinehurst tomorrow.

Any words of wisdom that you might like me to pass on to the Gods on Olympus??
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 08:49:54 PM »
Mucci,

I may be a moron, but the guy told us a lot about his game. He said he has a good long game, his short game is a little weak, he would like to be able to putt from off the green, and he wants to avoid houses on the course. So I dissuaded him from signing up for Forest Hills. You disagree with that advice?

And he said "qualifying would be nice" (but) "architectural merit is what I'm looking for."

I do believe you owe Steve and me an apology!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:53:08 PM by Bill Brightly »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 06:02:04 AM »
Mucci,

I may be a moron, but the guy told us a lot about his game. He said he has a good long game, his short game is a little weak, he would like to be able to putt from off the green, and he wants to avoid houses on the course. So I dissuaded him from signing up for Forest Hills. You disagree with that advice?

And he said "qualifying would be nice" (but) "architectural merit is what I'm looking for."

I do believe you owe Steve and me an apology

Bill,

An apology from Mucci is like a double negative…simply not worth even the supposed positive it may tally up to. The guy has gone off the deep end. Too bad they didn't take him off that plane and lock him up!! Plenty of folks from MRCC, GC, and PineTree along with the majority here would've gladly testified he was the plane's rabble rouser.

Seriously though, what do you expect when Pat's reading comprehension was limited to some prehistoric ND game program?  :o
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Michael Felton

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
Looks like a few replies got lost in here.

For those who replied since the site came back, thank you for the pointers.

The Knollwood qualifier is for the Ike Championship which is being played at Montclair. The GlenArbor one is for the Met Amateur at the Creek and the third group is for the Met Open at Trump National Bedminster. I took a look at last year's qualifying scores and it looks like the earlier ones are easier and the later ones are harder to get in.

My strength is my iron play. My driving is temperamental, so probably would want to play somewhere where if it's off I can drop down to 3 woods and irons off the tee, so not too many 450 yard par 4s unless they're quite open. Plus, like I said, my short game is a little questionable and so somewhere with plenty of short grass around the greens where I could putt would be good.

I also remembered why I'm playing in these things and so I went with the Westchester sections and as such I went with Knollwood, GlenArbor and Wee Burn.

Pat - the original intent of my question really was of the courses in each group, which one had the most architectural merit. I figured I had an opportunity to play at some courses that I wouldn't normally be able to get onto, so I wanted to pick the best ones.

Phil Lipper

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 12:49:26 PM »
In group B, I would put Grossingers at the top of the list then. You can certainly hit a lot of 3 wood or less on the narrow holes. It likely wont be in great shape though and if that bothers you I would stay away.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 04:37:22 AM »
Michael,

If it's true 3 wood/iron play off the tee is your preference/reliable strength, then

Knollwood is defintely the place for you...

Only 3 Drivers "called for" the entire day... #6, 17 and 18.  And three of the par 3s command the longer iron shot.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back