News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Patrice Boissonnas

Lost Simpson course uncovered?
« on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
Those who are familiar with the work of Tom Simpson know that the eccentric architect built most of his best courses in France. That includes of course Morfontaine, Chantilly and Fontainebleau but also Hardelot, Chiberta, Lys Chantilly and Deauville.

That being said, I have always been eager to see pictures of his lost French designs, especially the private courses he built for wealthy aristocrats like Comte de Rougemont, Comte de Fels, Barons Edouard de Rothschild and Henri de Rothschild etc.

Browsing a French geographical website, I have found these two 1933 pictures of a 9 hole course in Ferrière-en-Brie, about 50km East of Paris.
Located in the estate attached to Edouard de Rothschild’s castle, there is little doubt that this one of the lost courses attributed to Simpson.

It looks like a very regular par 36 with 2 par 3s and 2 par 5s.

What I find puzzling is the bunkering.
Simpson clearly advocated for limited usage of bunkers, preferring to use folds and natural contours as hazards. But he also wrote that heavy bunkering was acceptable on flat sites. Knowing how flat the Brie region can be, let’s assume that’s what he found in Ferrière. With 69 bunkers in 9 holes he made a strong case out of it.

More surprising is the repeated use of cross bunkers forcing either to carry or to lay-up, pretty much like in the penal age against which Simpson spoke so loudly. This might have been a request of his client but Simpson was not the kind of architect who would sacrifice his style to please his clients.

Could this course be falsely attributed to Simpson? Could it be the work of one of his design partners? We may never know for sure but I think it’s a fun subject to discuss.

Tom_Doak

Re: Lost Simpson course uncovered?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Patrice:

I'd agree that the bunkering looks very unusual for Simpson.

But I do think it's his routing.  The use of the blocks of trees as hazards on the 4th, 6th and 9th holes is just the sort of thing he drew up in his book for Chiberta and other courses, and nothing like how Colt or other contemporaries would use trees.  Why the bunkering is so conspicuous, I have no idea.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:03:38 PM »
That looks like an incredible castle too!  Not a bad backyard course to hack around huh?

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

David Davis

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:25:35 PM »
I bet if you could research it you would find out the bunkering was not entirely done by Simpson but done perhaps at a later stage by someone else at least in part.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Christoph Meister

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:27:11 AM »
Bonjour Partrice,

A list of courses realized by Tom Simpson that Alfonso Erhardt showed to me some time ago indeed seems to confirm that Simpson designed or at least re-designed (the list does not seem to make the distinction) a Golf de Ferrières for Baron Edouard de Rothschild on the premises of the castle.

Searching the location on google earth allready a few months ago I noticed that there seems to be a three hole course remaining on the original land used for golf during the 1930s.

Do you have any idea who is using that course? As far as I know the Rotschild famliy donated the castle to the University of Paris in 1975. Is this some sort of university golf course? Have you been on site - would be interesting to look for traces (bunkers, greens etc.) of the old private golf course...

Christoph Meister
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:40:58 AM »
This is remarkable. Thanks Patrice.

The holes that are there now seem to roughly occupy what is the middle third of the course above, but do not near resemblance to the holes in the above picture.

Patrice Boissonnas

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
Christophe,

you are absolutely right.
There is indeed a 3 hole course on the property but it doesn't look that it was laid on the original course.

Looking back at old aerial pictures of the estate, those 3 holes seem to have appeared circa 1975.
More interesting, on a picture of that period, you can still see traces of greens and bunkers + some new bunkers and 1 green that did not exist before and have disappeared since then.
What a mysterious golf history they have there !

It seems the place does belong to the University of Paris now.

I will look deeper into this and duely report to my GCA fellows as soon as I have more.

Frank Pont

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:35:44 PM »
The give away that its Simpson are the triangles in his routing, three of them, his favourite ay of creating changing directions in a routing.

The amount of bunkering is very high for Simpson, but then Colt & Co built anything from 23 bunkers (Royal Hague) to 250+ bunkers (Tandridge).

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
Imagine having Simpson around to design a course for your backyard.  Ah, to have been a Baron.....

Very cool find, Patrice.  Would be great to see some photos from a player's perspective.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:37:22 PM »
My parents went to the 1963 Canada Cup (before it became the World Cup) in Paris.  Which course was that played on?   Nicklaus and Palmer spread eagled the field, Jack won medalist honors. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back