News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

John Burnes

paspalum grass, Platinum
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »
For the grass geeks out there, what are your thoughts on applying this to an entire course in South Florida?  It would replace a Tiff 419.

Tim Gavrich

Re: paspalum grass, Platinum
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
I've played two all-Paspalum courses: Pine Lakes CC up here in Myrtle Beach and Vero Beach (FL) CC. I like the surface at Pine Lakes and I REALLY liked it at VBCC. It was firmer than I expected, even the greens.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jason Thurman

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:33:48 PM »
This topic will REALLY take off if you edit the title and first post to ask what people would think of installing paspalum at Streamsong. The rest of Florida basically doesn't exist around here.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Will Peterson

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:06:48 PM »
We played the FL Mid-Am Stroke Play at VBCC last year.  Rained for two days straight with 3+ inches the night before the event.  I was expecting it to be flooded and muddy, but when I arrived, found it dry and playing pretty fast.  The greens were still firm.  The turf at the club is wonderful.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »
John,

Decidedly not a grass geek, but I played the Conservatory course at Hammock Dunes at the end of December and they had just replaced their TifEagle greens with Paspalum Platinum.  Their fairways and tees were already Paspalum.  All the playing surfaces were excellent - and relatively firm compared to other Florida courses I had played.  They said they replaced the greens because of encroachment of the fairway Paspalum onto the greens.  No idea how it will stand up over time, but it was a great surface after only a couple of months.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:30 AM »
For the grass geeks out there, what are your thoughts on applying this to an entire course in South Florida?  It would replace a Tiff 419.

Why do you want to replace the grass?  Water conservation?

I've only played 1 course (in Hawaii) that was Paspalum.  I thought the greens were very grainy.

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:56 AM »
John,

I played a couple courses in Cabo that are using it.  I think it may be a good option for the climate in south Florida.  One thing to consider is that it's very grabby at rough height, particularly around greens, where it doesn't allow for any finesse shots.  I like it but you'll have to address the course presentation and mowing lines to use it to its full potential IMO.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:58:18 AM »
John,

I played a couple courses in Cabo that are using it.  I think it may be a good option for the climate in south Florida.  One thing to consider is that it's very grabby at rough height, particularly around greens, where it doesn't allow for any finesse shots.  I like it but you'll have to address the course presentation and mowing lines to use it to its full potential IMO.

I know that the new "Toger" course at Diamante is going to use Platinum, an upgrade from the "regular" Paspalum on the Dunes course

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »
John,

My mistake.  I believe the courses I was referring to used the "regular" strain.  I have no experience with Platinum, but if it's an improvement it might be very interesting.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »

Why do you want to replace the grass?  What's driving the decision?

Replacing all the grass on an existing course is a lot different than having to spec grass for a new course.  For one thing, you've got history -- how the current grass is performing, water quality history, etc.  For another, you don't have to replace it unless there is something really going wrong with the current grass.

Paspalum is the "in" grass especially where desalinated water or effluent water is being used, but it's far from the only grass that provides a great surface.  Streamsong is actually 419 bermuda wall to wall, except for the greens.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 11:18:26 AM »
While climate wise it would be OK, I honestly have no idea why a course would change from 419 to any strain of paspalum... unless 99.9% of the membership is "all about the visual" which is entirely possible.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 03:01:36 PM »
Get ready to spray fungicides and see the budget go up substantially because of it.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »
If there is a very limited fresh water supply and salt water is directly available, the paspalum varieties could be a growth industry in the future. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back