News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Eric Smith

OT - David Kidd caddied for me at Bandon Dunes
« on: February 03, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Not THAT David Kidd, but this one:

Next time you go to Bandon, do yourself a favor and seek him out! As personable and knowledgeable a guy as you'll ever want to meet, David's tailor made for his gig at Bandon Dunes Resort. We did four rounds in two days and from the start I had complete faith in the man and his abilities. He was also appreciative of mine - or lack thereof - and was over the moon when he picked up my MacKenzie bag with all of 8 clubs residing within it. ;) David's a terrific caddie, an even better companion, and I can't imagine going there again without planning to have him with me for at least a portion of the trip. Who am I Kidding - no way he gets anything less than the entire itinerary and he knows it!

David obviously made an impression, but so did his fiancee (unbeknownst to me at the time) who served me a breakfast beer in the Trails clubhouse before David and I were introduced. Seek her out too, btw - she's a doll. Then there was the affable night watchman who checked me into the Lodge at 2:30 in the morning; and the pro in the golf shop who knew of Golf Club Atlas because he used to work at Awarii Dunes [I failed to mention that I knew Messrs Kavanaugh and Choi ;D]. The ladies behind the bar in the Tufted Puffin Lounge kept us laughing (and drinking) between rounds. Everyone with a story to tell. I like that. Mr. Keiser should be proud knowing that his resort connects with his guests not only through the world class golf and amenities, but also through the fine people who work there. I plan to tell Mr. Hickock just that in a letter I began writing on the way home yesterday, but I thought the GCA crowd might also appreciate the caddie tip. I'm also of the opinion that a Thaw Out at Bandon next January wouldn't be the worst idea in the world.

Cheers

Peter Pallotta

Re: OT - David Kidd caddied for me at Bandon Dunes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
Eric Smith - good.
Eric Smith, golfing - very good.
Eric Smith, golfing at Bandon - excellent. 
Eric Smith, golfing at Bandon with 8 clubs and a single strap - priceless!

keep sending out that wonderful karma, Eric, very pleased to see it keep coming back to you.

Peter

Scott Weersing

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »

How was the January weather? Was there enough day light for 36 holes?

I am head Bandon Dunes on February 24 and there will be quite a few GCAers there that week.

People ask, Bandon in Feburary? And I say, it is better than snow and wet courses and temps in the 30s here in Virginia Beach.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:00:04 PM »
Eric,

Everything you wrote was GREAT.............. Except for the last sentence.

Every smart man in America will be in Palm Springs or Palm Beach next January ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:20:23 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 09:22:02 PM »
Eric,

Every smart man in America will be in Palm Springs or Palm Beach next January ;D

Have you been in Palm Springs in January when there is snow on the lower mountainsides and it's cold as hell on the courses in the valley?   I have.  It's no picnic.  With caddies and proper gear it could be more agreeable at Bandon. 

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
Nice to hear that your caddie added so little to your experience.  ;D
While many around here view the caddie as an unpleasant vestige of a bygone era, it's comforting to know some folks are still relishing the quality caddie dynamic in just one of its many forms.

I've yet to make the trek to BandOZ. When I do, the Kidd may get the call to suffer the Dunes Death March.

Cheers,
Kris
 8)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:15:06 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:28:12 PM »
Eric,

Have you been in Palm Springs in January when there is snow on the lower mountainsides and it's cold as hell on the courses in the valley? 

Yes, I have, but I don't usually play golf in the mountains and it was nice and sunny and warm on the golf course.

I have.  It's no picnic. 

Now I see the problem, you were having a picnic instead of playing golf.

With caddies and proper gear it could be more agreeable at Bandon. 

I'll miss you, I'll be nice and toasty warm in Palm Beach

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
Eric,

Have you been in Palm Springs in January when there is snow on the lower mountainsides and it's cold as hell on the courses in the valley? 

Yes, I have, but I don't usually play golf in the mountains and it was nice and sunny and warm on the golf course.

I have.  It's no picnic. 

Now I see the problem, you were having a picnic instead of playing golf.

With caddies and proper gear it could be more agreeable at Bandon. 

I'll miss you, I'll be nice and toasty warm in Palm Beach

Well yes, but you said Palm Beach AND Palm Springs!   ;D

Dave McCollum

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 07:12:59 AM »
Bill,

Was just in Palm Springs.  CA is in a dire drought that translates into perfect weather for the rest us.  Golf was sublime and warped my brain enough to post a bunch of inane ramblings here on this site in a marathon session of checking out what was going on with like-minded golf crazies.  You do have it wrong, based on living in SoCal for at least as long as you, that Palm Springs and San Diego are not exceptional golf destinations for snowbirds.  I hit the Jackpot this year by also including PHX.  My only regret is timing.  Too bad all of my bullshit didn’t fall into blackout the period of cga.com.  I came back to the frozen tundra, recharged by all that I’ve seen, gushing appreciation for my good fortune, and stupidly, deposited my turds of wisdom for all to see.  Gladly, I would have preferred oblivion for my own comments, with half-hearted regrets for what I missed.  Shit happens, most unfortunately.  However, whatever you have seen, golf in SoCal , in the Southland or the SW US, in 2014, was superb.  Road trip of lifetime as it turns out for me.  I’ve said enough to be deemed butt boy of the month.  I’ll go into hibernation for another year.  That is enough.

David Davis

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »
Nice story Eric, glad you enjoyed the time.

I once also had a brilliant caddy who was one of their senior and more experienced caddies. He goes by Coach. I highly recommend him as well. He has been the local coach for a high school golf team for years and is a great pleasure to walk around with. One of the Directors out there set me up (can't remember who as it was in 2008) with him so it came from high up.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 09:51:06 AM »
Nice story Eric, glad you enjoyed the time.

I once also had a brilliant caddy who was one of their senior and more experienced caddies. He goes by Coach. I highly recommend him as well. He has been the local coach for a high school golf team for years and is a great pleasure to walk around with. One of the Directors out there set me up (can't remember who as it was in 2008) with him so it came from high up.

If you go to Streamsong in the winter, you might catch Coach there as I did last March. 

I'm off to Phoenix in a couple of weeks and hope I catch that great weather you guys are talking about!

If Mucci doesn't play on the mountains in Palm Springs he's missed the best course there -- Stone Eagle!   ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »

How was the January weather? Was there enough day light for 36 holes?

I am head Bandon Dunes on February 24 and there will be quite a few GCAers there that week.

People ask, Bandon in Feburary? And I say, it is better than snow and wet courses and temps in the 30s here in Virginia Beach.

Scott,

Lucky you is all I have to say. :) The weather last weekend was great. I left the freezing cold in Tennessee and came back with sun burned cheeks! It was in the 50's both days, cloudy and a few showers on and off the first day, sunny and warm on the second. We played 36 both days with an hour lunch in between on each, finishing our afternoon rounds with daylight to spare.

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
David tells us a story about the time he caddied for a Hollywood legend. This gentleman, whose name I won't mention, is an icon. An Oscar winner. Let's call him Lee Marvin, for effect. [It wasn't LM.]

Thing is, David had no idea he was caddying for anyone other than "Lynn Brown", the name the person had checked in under at the resort. So he meets Mr. Brown and he's wearing these huge dark sunglasses with pinkish rims that seemingly cover the guy's entire face. Mr. Brown is paired with another couple of players and he gets along a little slower than the others, so most of the time it's just the two of them walking together, but he doesn't say much of anything over the first couple of holes. On the third hole, Mr. Brown lowers his sunglasses for just a second before he hits his shot and David is able to see the rest of his face, notably his eyes. Now he's thinking to himself, man, that kind of looks like "Lee Marvin".  

After another hole or two, his curiosity gets the best of him and he musters up the courage to engage in a bit of small talk with Mr. Brown by saying to him, "hey has anyone ever told you that you look like Lee Marvin?" The guy stops, turns to David and says, "SHUT THE F**K UP!," then scurries away at a pace not yet seen from the man.

So now David's feeling just awful, knowing he's obviously upset Mr. Brown, but wondering, why?? No words are exchanged between the two for the rest of the hole, but on the way to the next tee, he pulls David aside, whips out his SAG card, which reads, "Lee Marvin", and says to him, in a slightly different, and more hushed tone, "Shut the F**k UP".

After the round the man autographs his scorecard and gives it to David, gets in his car and drives on to Seattle.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:26:13 AM by Eric Smith »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Eric Smith is treated with love and respect everywhere he goes because that is what he exudes.  It's no surprise that many of my experiences do not mirror his.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
John you are every bit the man Eric is. Just in a misunderstood kind of way.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »
I have friends who booked a "thaw out" at Bandon for the low rates, and spent their time thawing out in the clubhouse because the course wouldn't thaw out.

David Kidd looks like that guy who lusted after my small single strap bag and with 8 clubs. Does the guy every try to carry a full complement of bag, clubs, and gear? ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike Hendren

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »
Let's not lose sight of the fact that Eric Smith is treated with love and respect everywhere he goes because that is what he exudes.  It's no surprise that many of my experiences do not mirror his.

You Mackenzie Bag poseurs are always taking up for one another.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Daryl David

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 02:36:45 PM »
Eric,

Have you been in Palm Springs in January when there is snow on the lower mountainsides and it's cold as hell on the courses in the valley?   I have.  It's no picnic.  With caddies and proper gear it could be more agreeable at Bandon. 

January in Palm Springs vs. Bandon?  Here are the daily highs this January in the valley.  Cold as hell!   ;D 

Date      High Temp

Jan 1         76
2           76
3           77
4           70
5           75
6           73
7           69
8           71
9           71
10           72
11           72
12           76
13           79
14           84
15           85
16           85
17           81
18           76
19           79
20           75
21           84
22           80
23           76
24           80
25           80
26           82
27           82
28           80
29           75
30           73
31             73

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back