News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Courses that its not cool to like on GCA
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
Indifference - the cruelest cut of all.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
what is the criteria for not liking a course on GCA...  

are they courses that we think are overated..

I Like Oak HIll -east

I was thinking of courses that are held in lower regard by the general consensus on GCA than by either the magazine rankings or the general public.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 03:19:12 PM »
then I say Olympic- both Lake and Ocean

seems no one likes Olympic-- I show my bag tag with pride

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 03:21:14 PM »
The Bridge has to fit in to this category.  

Shane Wright

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
I think that Whistling Straits - Straits is an obvious add to this list.  And I'll go on record saying I really like the course.  I probably won't ever play it again for what they charge, but it still is a really good golf course in my opinion.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 03:23:58 PM »
I agree with someone earlier that said Pebble..

You have to play once for the history of it and the ocean side holes are pretty awesome..but as a hole .not worht 500 bucks to me

Keith Grande

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
Cliffs Notes Version:

85% of PGA Tour Stops
90% of Fazio courses
95% of Nicklaus courses
95% of Art Hills courses
All Trump Courses

Steve Lapper

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Wow, I'm impressed…you don't even need pictures to dislike something ::)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »
This thread is incomplete without the inclusion of Pinehurst #2 (repetitive greens), Pine Valley (overtreed), Seminole (too many repetitive holes, several major clunker holes), Merion (not properly presented, greens destroyed for Open), and anything and everything by Mike Strantz.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

BHoover

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
This thread is incomplete without the inclusion of Pinehurst #2 (repetitive greens), Pine Valley (overtreed), Seminole (too many repetitive holes, several major clunker holes and the allowance of fivesomes), Merion (not properly presented, greens destroyed for Open), and anything and everything by Mike Strantz.

Corrected

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »
Its definitely not cool to like The Belfry, but it ain't a bad course.  

I fear the most recent addition to this uncool list is Woodhall Spa.  I suspect it will regain its rep once the naysayers get bored of trashing it. There are just too many good holes in a lovely setting to stay angry forever.  

One that has always befuddled me, but its not cool to like, Princes.  I like it and think its better than a load of the GCA.com darlings.  

Another course which when slatted always surprises me, Portstewart.  This may be my sleeper great course that is uncool to like.  

The quality of my courses would be pretty damn high if all I could play were these four.  

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rich Goodale

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
The new, improved "old course" at St. Andrews.  12 months ago it was the most incredible golfing experience on the planet and the only course designed completely by god.  Now it is just a desecrated dog track that should be cryit doon by all pure and holy GCAers.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
Alotian Club.
Damn cartballers! Fazio sucks!

Martin Toal

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Cliffs Notes Version:

85% of PGA Tour Stops
90% of Fazio courses
95% of Nicklaus courses
95% of Art Hills courses
All Trump Courses

I have much less exposure to the name courses than many here, but of those, I have rather enjoyed most of the Nicklaus courses I have played (Monte Rei in Portugal, Montecastillo in Spain, Pinehills in Massachusetts, El Dorado, Palmilla and Cabo del Sol (Ocean) in Cabo) although I wasn't too excited by Grand Cypress and La Paloma, Tucson). Hanbury Manor in Hertfordshire, Reflection Bay in Vegas and Arabian Ranches in Dubai were somewhere in between.

As for Trump, only played Trump LA, which I didn't like much.

Fazio - Pelican Hill, Grand Del Mar, Green Monkey Sandy Lane, Grayhawk Raptor, Primm Valley - liked all of those.

PGA Tour Stops - only played TPC Scottsdale and Doral Blue Monster and didn't really rate either.

John Foley

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
Anything on the RTJ Trail
Any resort course in HI other than The Plantation Course
Courses at Turningstone
Nantucket
Anything in FL south of Lake Okeechobee that is not Seminole/Pine Tree/Indian Creek/Calusa Pines
Integrity in the moment of choice

Martin Toal

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
Its definitely not cool to like The Belfry, but it ain't a bad course.  

Another course which when slatted always surprises me, Portstewart.  This may be my sleeper great course that is uncool to like.  

The quality of my courses would be pretty damn high if all I could play were these four.  

Ciao

Sean

I think The Belfry is a bad course. It has several striking holes separated by a large number of forgettable ones, and striking does not necessarily mean good.

I also think Portstewart is a very good course and was unaware it was uncool to like it. Although I have always known I am uncool.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:52:13 PM by Martin Toal »

Nigel Islam

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »
For the last time, the bag tag thing was a joke. Secondly, I think a lot of people understood the premise of the thread which was to name some courses that are held in slightly lower regard here than elsewhere. There are some courses here that are teacher's pets and others that are red headed step children. I wanted to throw some GCA love to the latter. I wasn't trying to stir up trouble.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Everything, and I mean everything, in or near Myrtle Beach.

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »
Terry

You are killing me..I am going there this weekend to freeze and play

Tom ORourke

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 04:39:04 PM »
As Keith wrote - 95% of Art Hills courses
I like Half Moon Bay. Played well, hit every club in my bag, enjoyed the views of the Pacific. It was not soft when I played it and I want to go back and do it again.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
This thread is incomplete without the inclusion of Pinehurst #2 (repetitive greens), Pine Valley (overtreed), Seminole (too many repetitive holes, several major clunker holes and the allowance of fivesomes), Merion (not properly presented, greens destroyed for Open), and anything and everything by Mike Strantz.

Corrected

;D ;D ;D ;D
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
Everything, and I mean everything, in or near Myrtle Beach.

My guess is, a cart girl in MB broke the judge's heart once. No one with this magistrates golfing pedigree could make such a statement without heavy emotional baggage. We all know that not everything is Myrtle Beach gets grief on this site.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »
I've seen Bethpage Black get beat up quite a bit around here

(I dissent from that opinion)

It seems that most of the critisism is leveled against the 18th hole.

Tim Martin

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
This thread is a lose, lose situation. Nobody will gain from this. It will just stir up a heap of trouble.

Pebble Beach, Erin Hills, and Augusta definitely belong. In the case of Augusta though, I don't really see people who have played it and don't like it. I just see haters who are mad because they'll never get to play it themselves.

I don't think people not getting to play ANGC has much if anything to do with it taking critisism on GCA. The critisism results from the myriad changes that have been enacted over the years in an effort to keep the course relevant for the Tooniment.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:37:32 PM by Tim Martin »

Kevin_D

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 05:29:33 PM »
I've seen Bethpage Black get beat up quite a bit around here

(I dissent from that opinion)

It seems that most of the critisism is leveled against the 18th hole.

Yes, and this is something I've never really understood

People say "oh, it's just a lay up", but it's a 400 yard par 4 with an elevated, well bunkered green

If I hit my 3 iron (well!), that might leave me 190, uphill, maybe into the wind.  Not an easy shot for me.

If you hit driver, you risk landing in the rough, or the many fairway bunkers, unless you are very straight.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back