News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Parker Reeves

Jupiter and West Palm
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:48:51 AM »
Hello all...I hope this post finds you well. I am in need of a little help.  I was wondering if I could get some opinions on the best public courses in the Jupiter and West Palm Beach area of Florida.  Course condition is as important as layout/design as this is for an event.  The only place I really know anything about is Abacoa.  

Thanks for the help!

Parker

JR Potts

Re: Jupiter and West Palm
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:49 AM »
I have always had a perfectly enjoyable time at Emerald Dunes.  

EDIT - Looks like it is now private.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:04:01 AM by JR Potts »

Mark Saltzman

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:03:01 AM by Mark Saltzman »

B.Ross

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 05:40:09 PM »
Hi Parker,

I was just down in this area (stayed in Delray, but played as far north as palm beach gardens jupiter) and can provide a whole slew of recommendations. feel free to PM me and we'll exchange email addresses.

If not, here are some thoughts:

I didnt play abacoa but i've heard nothing but great things.

i have played madison green in years past, really pretty and very difficult, though a touch "tricked up" so to speak.

the eagle course at president CC i played this year and is right in west palm, very affordable and an excellent layout. the condition could be a touch better, but for the greens fee i paid (65 or so) it was fine.

osprey point is down in west boca but is an awesome collection of beautifully maintained 27 holes, and is challenging if you play the right set of tees.

north palm & west palm are true muni's, so while both are nice (esp north palm) be weary of pace of play.

also, westchester CC in boynton beach has a nice collection of 27 holes and is properly priced for its condition. i would avoid polo trace as its overpriced given the condition.

Jeff Tang

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
I've been in the West Palm / Jupiter area for a little over a year now and have been doing my best to sample the local courses.  A lot of golf to choose from and those listed already are a bunch of the good ones.  Abacoa and North Palm are fun tracks and have some of the best greens in the area.  Both are very quick typically with North Palm's being smaller and much more sloped than Abacoa.  I think both of these courses are at the top of the publics in the area both for their layout and for their relative firm and fast maintenance practices.  I believe Potts is correct that Emerald Dunes is private and while I haven't played it I have heard good things about it.

If you're looking for firm a bit further North (25 minutes North of Jupiter) but one that I've enjoyed is Champions Club in Stuart.  The course is maintained in good shape and the course has some of the firmest greens around.  Hard to stop approaches on the green and you can run the ball in on a fair number of holes.  There is a lot of vegetation surrounding the holes so there can be a lot of lost balls but the corridors are wide enough to remain playable.  Some good stretches of holes out there.

Back to the West Palm area I agree that the West Palm muni is worth playing.  Interesting golf different than typical Florida golf.  I've found the waste area sand to be very soft leading to an inordinate number of plugged lies (and there is a lot of sand to contend with) but it's a course worth playing.  

I've played Binks Forest last year and thought it was a really fun layout but the conditioning was really suffering.  It's been almost a year though so perhaps it's improved since then.

I enjoyed President CC as well but wouldn't rate it higher than those already mentioned.

So bad it's good!

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
I would also consider Park Ridge in western Lantana, as well as Atlantis CC in Lantana.  Both are good layouts, with some nice quirk on Park Ridge.  Conditions are usually better at Atlantis.

archie_struthers

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:08:15 AM »
 ??? ??? ???

Parker , it's not a public course but if you have some club affiliation you might (or your pga pro)  be able to make a call to Breakers West and play there . It's nice , not too hard and most players would enjoy it.  It's certainly not an architectural masterpiece , but !

Parker Reeves

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »
Thanks for all of the help!  I think I've got it narrowed down to two and will hopefully get something worked out soon.  The event won't be until December, so I hope I've got a little time  :P

Again, I appreciate the time!

-Parker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back