News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

In-Bounds Driving Range
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
How many courses have a driving range that is close enough to a hole to be "in play" and is also in bounds?  The range at Inverness is just to the right of the 1st hole, is in bounds, and changed its range balls last season from yellow to white.  So, a nasty slice means hunting for a needle in a haystack while balls whiz by your head from people on the practice tee.  I can't think of many other places where I've faced this.

K. Krahenbuhl

Re: In-Bounds Driving Range
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »
Of courses that I've played this week - left on #1 at Houston CC (yellow balls) and a little more offline - right on 18 at Champions GC (white balls).

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Augusta CC left on 1--used to be right on 18 before they reversed 1 and 18
Glen Head
Long Cove right on 18
Atlantic's-14 and 18- gone back and forth-currently OB
and many more

amazingly I notice these things
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:24:06 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
Seminole.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 10:21:13 AM »
Seminole.

I guess I just haven't gotten around enough!

So, I suppose my question is whether they SHOULD be in bounds?  I know what many people think about internal out-of-bounds, but for safety's sake, I'm curious

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
Tamarack CC uses the par 5 13th hole AS the driving range.  One rings a bell after teeing off. Playing yellow balls at Tammy is not recommended...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Simon Holt

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »
Quaker Ridge is the really obvious one since they use the 17th fairway.

North Berwick on the 8th, 9th and 11th if you are working a big slice that day.  I'm sure there are plenty of old UK courses in this category.  Primarily since practise grounds were squeezed in, years after play started on the courses.
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »
Isn't the range on CPC in play?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brian Potash

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
I played a dangerous and embarrassing shot from the range left of hole 8 at East Hampton Golf Club this summer.  Everyone assured me this was in bounds.

Isn't the range at Cypress Point just right of hole 1 in bounds?  

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 11:07:28 AM »
I can think of two right off the top-of-my head, one I know that the range is "in bounds" and the other I am not positive, but I believe the range may be "out of bounds"...

First, Art Hill's masterpiece and architectural gem – Egypt Valley Country Club in Ada, Michigan.  The first hole of the Ridge Course has the driving range on the left off the tee and it is in the play:

And second, the Donald Ross nine at Rolling Rock Club in Ligonier, Pennsylvania.  Three holes border the range and are all off the right side of the holes given they circumnavigate the range in a clockwise motion.  For those of you who have golfed with me, you know this type of orientation can be problematic.  I played there this spring and I honestly don't remember if the range is "out of bounds," but if I had to guess, by looking at this aerial I would say it is "out of bounds" as it looks like there is a small fence around parts of the perimeter.  They have certainly worked to add trees to block as much of it as possible:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:32:25 AM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »

Yes, I believe it is in bounds and it is right off of #1 tee.  It is also only for member use...

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:10:57 AM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Chris Mavros

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
At Phoenixville CC, the range comes into play on the Fourth if you really hook it around 170 yards off the tee, then again on the Fifth if you're able to hook it over the tree line off the tee.  There have been a couple times where those at the range have had to let someone play through.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:15:46 AM »

Yes, I believe it is in bounds and it is right off of #1 tee.  It is also only for member use...

Having never been there, I can't say for sure, but I assume the CPC range doesn't get a whole lot of action, and thus you can search for a ball and play out of it without a huge risk of getting plunked in the head?

SL_Solow

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »
My home course Briarwood has its range to the right of the 18th fairway.  It is in bounds.  Idlewild in Flossmoor Il. has a range shoehorned between the 8th and 11th fairways.  Some eras it is in bounds, others there is internal OB.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »
Having never been there, I can't say for sure, but I assume the CPC range doesn't get a whole lot of action, and thus you can search for a ball and play out of it without a huge risk of getting plunked in the head?

I have only had the privilege once, but I assume you would be safe.  I don't know how much use the range gets, but would suspect if someone hit one off #1 to the right, those on the range would hold until the player found and played their next shot.  Perhaps someone more familiar with the club and their practices would know better.  The range is pretty close though as you can see from the photo below.  Given how nervous I was on the tee box, the range would have been a fine place to hit my first shot, I was simply trying to get it over the hedge and Seventeen Mile Drive...

BCowan

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »
Matt

A few of the older courses didn't even have ranges when originally built.  That doesn't make any sense for them to change the balls to white at Inverness.  At least they didn't make it out of bounce to the right, which does take a pretty good slice to get there.   Flint Golf Club you have to walk across a fairway to get to the driving range.  Sylvania CC range is just to the right of the first hole and is OB.  The present day range used to be the 1st hole.  

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:14 AM »
I suspect that the Country Club of Buffalo's range (adjacent to the first hole) is in play. I can't recall any stakes or local rules.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
There are loads of courses in the UK that have practice grounds hitting across holes on the course. Where I grew up the practice ground used to be hitting across the 17th and 1st fairways.

Jon

Keith Phillips

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
The range at Montclair parallels the first hole of the first nine and is played as OB - I gather it played as 'in bounds' prior to the mid-90s and there is some talk of moving back to that practice - some feel having OB so tight to the 'slice side' of the first hole is overly penal - we shifted from yellow practice balls to white about a decade ago, and folks are reluctant to move back to yellows, even though that would help with ball identification both on the range on the first fairway.

I believe Apawamis uses their first fairway for a driving range and that yellow balls are used.

Alex Miller

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 12:56:06 PM »
Valley Club has its range in play... Made par from it.  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
Pine Tree, Mountain Ridge, GCGC, Boca Rio, just to name a few

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »
East Aurora country club uses its 17th fairway as a driving range. No comment on the color of golf balls in use.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 03:06:52 PM »
Roanoke Country Club's range is in bounds and definitely in play on two holes.  They use yellow practice balls to make the search quicker in the fairly frequent event that someone hits a shot there.

WW

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
Apawamis cleverly uses the first fairway as a range too.  Just don't use a yellow ball on the first hole.   ;)

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
The first fairway at New Zealand is the practise ground.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back