News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Wiesley

Re: The Best Courses That Were Created
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
Shooting Star, Shadow Creek & The Madison Club both made from land flat as a pancake which now both include rivers and lakes/ponds.  Shows what Mr. Fazio can do with the funds needed.  I've not played, but the Rawls course by Tom fits the mold as well.  Wonder what the difference in construction budget was though.

DMoriarty

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 03:56:58 PM »
In the case of the Lido, CBM was drawn to the opportunity to play "creator" but he ultimately had to admit that he fell short.

"One will always see however that it is the creation of man and not the creation of Nature, for it has, as most holes on this course have, the technical design of an architect rather than the inimitable design of nature."

To paraphrase the creator of this thread, all world class golf courses start with a world class site.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »

Winged Foot West may be a deserved candidate. So many greens and tees were pushed up on an otherwise mostly flattish property.

QR also?

Nope, totally different and way better property even though you could hit a pw from 1 to the other on the 15th holes

Shane Wright

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
What is the easiest way to define "created from scratch?"  

Does taking a forest and completely clearing it for a golf course to be shaped count as this?  

Bart Bradley

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 04:24:46 PM »
Tom:

Despite my criticisms in the past of some of the design elements, the entirely faux Fancourt Links is an immersive experience.  It is a course that I remember more fondly with time.   I think that it is clearly the most successful product of Gary Players design firm and falls squarely in the "Created" category.  It is a great walk and as I recall much of the land was a dead flat airstrip prior to the golf course construction.

Bart

Jim Colton

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Tom,

Can you talk a bit about your project on the island in China. If I recall, there was a bunch of sand shipped in. Did that provide more of an open sandbox type opportunity?

Can you also compare and contrast the routing differences when trying to find the best natural features vs having more of a blank canvas. Does one bring more enjoyment than the other?

John McCarthy

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 06:32:58 PM »
What about Tour 18? 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mike_Young

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:24 PM »
Indian Creek
Harbortown
TPC
Chechessee
Loblolly Pines
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »
Sagebrush? I think Whitman just found the routing that would work on the landscape. The didn't have enough money to create a course in my understanding.

That's not the case - I toured the course with Dick Zokol and I know for a fact that a LOT of work was done to work the landscape, especially on hole #8. 

Dick's quote, if I remember correctly, was "Rod moved a mountain to make that hole".

Sometimes a minimalist has to move a bunch in certain places to make a routing work. If you classify Sagebrush as minimalist, then I'm guessing it wasn't what Tom had in mind when he started the thread. My impression was that Sagebrush should be classified as minimalist.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
Caledonia should be in the mix.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
Tobacco Road. Any question, just recall the tee shot on #1.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tim Leahy

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »
How about the Olympic Club Lake? From the pictures I have seen the sight was treeless when it was constructed.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kye Goalby

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2014, 02:01:01 AM »
If the information  I received about the original contour of the site ( minimal) is accurate, the public course at Santa Anita has to be one of the best there is at making something from nothing.  What's almost  more amazing than some of the created landforms and holes is  that it was built by someone in the 1930's who never built a golf course before - or after.

Sean_A

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2014, 04:53:20 AM »
There seems to be a theme that natural looking shaping equates to best.  Why exactly is natural lookng and best assumed to mean the same thing? 

I am not sure what "scratch" means.  Some folks are taking it to mean flat, featureless sites.  Tom, is that what you mean?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Tom_Doak

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2014, 07:25:27 AM »
There seems to be a theme that natural looking shaping equates to best.  Why exactly is natural lookng and best assumed to mean the same thing? 

I am not sure what "scratch" means.  Some folks are taking it to mean flat, featureless sites.  Tom, is that what you mean?

Sean:

Not necessarily.  My definition of "created from scratch" would be that the interest of the golf course is derived from man-made things rather than natural features.  So, a really good undulating piece of ground isn't going to qualify, but it doesn't have to be totally flat.  Chicago Golf Club is one example -- gently rolling, but the green sites don't really use natural features per se.  The side-of-the-mountain courses in Japan and Korea would qualify, too, but most of those suck precisely because they didn't take anything from their setting.  Huntercombe might be another -- I guess there are a few holes where the terrain adds to the design, like #2, but most of the features are man-made and, to your point, not natural-looking.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be a huge earthmoving project, as some assumed from the beginning.

archie_struthers

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2014, 08:30:05 AM »
 ;D ;) 8)

It seems pretty obvious that most great landforms evolved over time . Whether it was by seismic shifts or erosion , wind or water , they were manufactured  over time.  Did I say manufactured ?  Hard edges are removed over time , and that's what sets the really good man made designs from the bad ones . At least aesthetically.  The land moves , but it appears to have happened without the bulldozers.

It's much easier to dig down and create the natural roll of the land than build up . That's one of the reasons I was so impressed by Bayonne. Knowing Eric Bergstol and his crew had to build up the dredge spoils , let them settle out and then shape. Pretty neat stuff.  I'm guessing it is the greatest man made feat in design ever, given the obstacles .

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:35:38 AM by archie_struthers »

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2014, 09:29:14 AM »
So what would Arcadia Bluffs be on the Doak Scale???? I am not saying it's great, but I liked it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:26:38 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Dan Smoot

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
On another thread, Adrian Stiff described Le Golf National in Paris as one of the best "faux" golf courses in Europe.

People are always speculating that there is no reason a great course can't be created from scratch, and certainly many have tried.  How many have truly succeeded?  I'd like to see this thread answer the question:  what are the best courses that were created?

I will start by saying that two of the best jobs of natural-looking earthmoving I've seen are at Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart.  However, I think both of those [along with Whistling Straits] should be disqualified from this list, because their waterfront settings are such an integral part of the design.  They hardly started with nothing!  If we're going to list them, they should be a separate list, really.

I'll take my own courses out of consideration, as well.  The Rawls Course is the most "created" course I've done, and it's well regarded, but it finished way down the list of my own courses when you all ranked them.  

So what is there that's really outstanding?  

I can understand why you would want to take the Rawls course out of consideration.  However, when you drive around the periphery of the course and look at the terrain then get inside ... one feels like they have been taken to another place.  It really is an amazing feeling.   I really like the course.  That part of Texas doesn't offer much to even compete with it.  I guess Shadow Creek in Vegas is the most well known course that provides a similar level of creation ... both in very arid climates.

BCowan

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
Mr Doak

I was interested if you could explain more about Huntercombe, as I have only looked at pictures and am really interested in playing it.  Are the green complex's what you consider the most man made about the site?  The original course only had 25 bunkers on it.  Many of the depressions and grass bunkers on the course do look man made or just have a lot of definition in them.  I wish there were more of what i see at in photos of Huntercombe in parkland courses in the US.  Can Huntercombe have some man made features and still be minimalist in design?  In other designs i thought Willie Park was great at using gulley's and ravines and other natural ''hazards'' in his designs to create strategy for the player.    

Matt MacIver

« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2014, 03:16:03 PM »
The first course I thought of was Seminole - the only Great course in flat Florida so those greens must really be something.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
3 in South Carolina that were basically 100% manufactured:

The Ocean Course at Kiawah
Yeamans Hall
Bulls Bay
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 05:19:14 PM »
The first course I thought of was Seminole - the only Great course in flat Florida so those greens must really be something.

Matt:  Haven't been to Seminole, I take it?  It's not flat.  There are two good-sized ridges, one down by the ocean and another in the back of the property, and about 12 of the 18 holes take advantage of one or the other.  The greens are good, too, but it's a great piece of property, and it's not manufactured.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »
Anyway, it doesn't have to be a huge earthmoving project, as some assumed from the beginning.

This changes everything?  It seems to contradict the original intent of the thread.

My picks are:

Shadow Creek
TPC Sawgrass
Medalist
Lido
Whistling Straits

I'm adding Mauna Kea as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:40:27 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Sean_A

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55:18 PM »

Sean:

Not necessarily.  My definition of "created from scratch" would be that the interest of the golf course is derived from man-made things rather than natural features.  So, a really good undulating piece of ground isn't going to qualify, but it doesn't have to be totally flat.  Chicago Golf Club is one example -- gently rolling, but the green sites don't really use natural features per se.  The side-of-the-mountain courses in Japan and Korea would qualify, too, but most of those suck precisely because they didn't take anything from their setting.  Huntercombe might be another -- I guess there are a few holes where the terrain adds to the design, like #2, but most of the features are man-made and, to your point, not natural-looking.

Tom

I'm not really sure about a lot of construction because it doesn't really matter much to me.  But of the ones I think are obviously mainly constructed, yet without the benefit of a wonderfully beautiful site (ie Trump Aberdeen, Kiawah), I am not familiar with a great example. A couple really impress me though:

Kington
Tobacco Road
Beau Desert
Huntercombe
Yelverton

But all the above benefit from good draining soil and land movement, with Huntercombe being the most flat if we look at all the holes separately.  

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »
Sagebrush? I think Whitman just found the routing that would work on the landscape. The didn't have enough money to create a course in my understanding.

That's not the case - I toured the course with Dick Zokol and I know for a fact that a LOT of work was done to work the landscape, especially on hole #8.  

Dick's quote, if I remember correctly, was "Rod moved a mountain to make that hole".

Matt,

I ran the day-to-day construction at Sagebrush and can tell you, for a fact, that we moved about half as much earth as I originally thought was going to be required to create the course.

Dick's right, we did move a lot of material (including a lot of blasting of rock) to create the fairway at the 8th hole (the tees were elevated, the green site was pretty much there… with some shaping). #5 fairway also required some significant fill, and #11 was a big construction job. But 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 didn't take much other than filling tee and greens sites, and digging bunkers.

Cabot Links (where I was also heavily involved with planning and construction work) took as much artificial construction work. Rod is a genius at contouring the ground (personally, with a 'dozer), really. His work at Cabot Links will 'trick' many golfers, forever, into thinking those holes were 'found' on natural links-type-land, there. No the case at all, Cabot is more comparable to a Kingsbarns type project than any of the courses at Bandon, for example. There's way more artificial contouring in the fairways at Cabot than Sagebrush.

And, what's it matter… it's just good  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back