News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Boerger

Re: I think we need a Brora thread...
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
Played Brora this past year myself -- in some fierce winds. Not an experience I will soon forget. (Some of the friendliest people in the bar to boot.)

Yet, the one course I played in that area that I definitely want to play again is Golspie. Links, heathland, parkland -- it may sound disconnected, but it certainly works and I really enjoyed it.

All that said, Dornoch (hardly surprising) trumps all in that vicinity.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 06:36:26 AM »
Dan,

you are correct about Golspie and I think it is better value than Brora though Brora is something very special. Many here seem to ignore both Tain and Fortrose both of which are worth a visit. For a very cheap fun round Helmsdale is quirky and challenging. It might not be in very good nick but at £10 for 9 holes that take about 1 hour it is worth flitting up there to play before or after Brora.

Cold and snowing here at the moment so not much golf going on.

Jon
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:38:48 AM by Jon Wiggett »

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 11:40:32 AM »
Last week I played in Las Vegas with a husband/wife duo that live by Aberdeen.  My wife and I talked about the various Scottish courses we had enjoyed.  When my wife brought up Brora, they spoke almost with disdain of the animal life on the course.  It might be like mentioning to GCA member what a lovely water fountain was in the middle of the pond by the 18th green.  Are they outliers amongst Scottish golfers?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »
Last week I played in Las Vegas with a husband/wife duo that live by Aberdeen.  My wife and I talked about the various Scottish courses we had enjoyed.  When my wife brought up Brora, they spoke almost with disdain of the animal life on the course.  It might be like mentioning to GCA member what a lovely water fountain was in the middle of the pond by the 18th green.  Are they outliers amongst Scottish golfers?

No Brad, we got all sorts here too. Though most courses in the Highlands have a relatively down to earth sort of membership.

Jon

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
Some people are idiots...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Ken Moum

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 11:35:10 PM »

My experience has more commonly been the opposite. Comments like, "Aye, golf as it should be."

My favorite testimonial for Brora came from Euan Grant, then head greenkeepers for The Old Course, who simply said "brilliant," when I said I'd played Brora. When his boss told him my friend didn't like Brora, Euan turned to him and said, "Heathen."

I think my friend still believes I put him up to it.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back