News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

J.D. Griffith

I think we need a Brora thread...
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:56 PM »
In the upper Midwest, we've been in a deep freeze cycle that has spread to other parts of the States.  I'm fairly new to this site, but I long for the day that I can visit Brora.  Some of you that have, post some pictures and information on this gem that I long to play.
Thanks, and stay warm!

Pete_Pittock

Re: I think we need a Brora thread...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:48:46 PM »
I used the search function - see the magnifying glass - using 'brora' and 'tour" and found this in about thirty seconds.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55582.0.html

J.D. Griffith

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
Appreciate the info Pete, and Bryan Izatt took some excellent pics that day.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
J.D.,

Here is a link to Kyle Henderson's pictorial - http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40120.0.html .

The photos are almost surreal with all of the mist and gloom...absolutely beautiful.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:54 PM »
J.D., go to Courses by Country to see Ran's profile of Brora.  Ran might be the best course reviewer ever. 

Mickey Boland

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:23 PM »
Plenty of pics of the course in the links, so I'll add a few of mine that show some of the things that make Brora pretty unique.  Probably had the most fun playing Brora of any course I have ever played.  By the way, they do have a webcam that shows the first tee as well as the eighteenth green. http://www.broragolf.co.uk/webcam/webcam.aspx

Sign near first tee.

Electric fence at first green.

Some of the local inhabitants.

Spectator at 6th tee

Another spectator not very interested in my buddy on #12

#6 Brora.  That was a tough pin position.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »
Mickey B. -

That 6th hole at Brora is a killer, a 165yd. par-3 that is almost always dead into the wind and playing 200+ yards. One of the most severe green complexes on the course as well.

DT

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »
For something a bit different

My wife (R) with George and Morag Sutherland playing in the Brora Blind Society Foursomes comp in August of 2013

My tee shot in the same comp., saved from going in the burn by some poop.

The rough mowing crew hard at work near the 17 tee.

Our new friend Barkley, who we met in the parking lot after a round there. He's 62 kilos of doggie love.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Ryan Coles

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
Three things really stand out at my visits to Brora

1. I've yet to see a more stunning location and view from a 1st tee.

2. That some golfers who play Dornoch don't add this into the itinerary.

3. That it is probably the best value green fee in the UK.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »
Ryan -

You could add that Brora is likely the purest links in the Highlands.

DT

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
That it is probably the best value green fee in the UK.
Always difficult to judge but, at £49 it's more expensive than Silloth and twice what I have ever paid to play at Kington.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »
Here are some pictures from a late June round with my kids.  Most of these have been posted before but capture a fun evening.  I expected to play a portion of the course but the kids insisted on going all the way around.  

This one is not at Brora but captures the essence of the trip:

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »
Jason -

Great pics! Talk about having fun on a golf course.

DT

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:03 PM »
Had the pleasure of playing Brora this past September while staying at Dornoch. BTW, a close friend in Chicago just opened up a boutique hotel called Links House that sits about 25 yards from Dornoch's first tee. www.linkshousedornoch.com

Brora is just a must-play course. Seems that most of my approach shots settled just off the greens so I had many interactions with the electric fences and counted 4 shocks during the round. The course builds slowly and by the 5th hole you realize that you are playing a very special course. The back nine is just breathtaking. Take 2 extra clubs for your tee shot of the par 3 18th.

On the way back from Brora to Dornoch, it is worth stopping at Golspie Golf Club. We walked in there on a Sunday at around 12:30 and were greeted like family. Vibrant clubhouse with pints lifting and meat cutting, young and old together...I felt it to be a rather special place. Sadly, we did not play but had to decline no less than 3 invites to do so.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 01:19:36 PM »
Brora has a golf week - a week of Open Competitions - in late May.

Not sure if Royal Dornoch has such a week but Golspie and Tain (possibly Fortrose?) certainly have Golf Weeks too, and these courses are well worth playing, plus there are a few others like Portmahomack and Bonar Bridge and Wick that folk have praised herein.

Great part of the world, and a great part of the world to play golf.
ATB

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
"Always difficult to judge but, at £49 it's more expensive than Silloth and twice what I have ever paid to play at Kington."

Mark P.

Both Brora and Silloth are charging 49 pounds for weekday greens in 2014. Brora is charging 55 pounds on the weekend. Silloth is charging 58 pounds.

http://www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk/visitor-information/green-fees-bookings/

DT

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Ryan -

You could add that Brora is likely the purest links in the Highlands.

DT

David,

we need to get you up to Wick when you are here in the spring. It is not better than Brora but it is as good an example of pure links as I have seen. The other one to see is Loch Carron which although very small and basic is a blast if you are in the area.

Jon

David Harshbarger

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
Jason you are my new hero.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 09:33:33 PM »
"we need to get you up to Wick when you are here in the spring"

Jon -

One of these years I will get to Wick (and Reay and Durness). The truth is it is hard for me to find a reason to head north of Golspie. I don't venture even as far north as Brora more than once or twice a year.

DT

SL_Solow

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »
I might add that my son David and I were fortunate enough to accompany David Tepper on a trip to Brora in September when we made a whirlwind visit to the Highlands.  A wonderful afternoon and evening with a great host and good friend.

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:56 PM »
"we need to get you up to Wick when you are here in the spring"

Jon -

One of these years I will get to Wick (and Reay and Durness). The truth is it is hard for me to find a reason to head north of Golspie. I don't venture even as far north as Brora more than once or twice a year.

DT

Let me know when you do David-I'm in ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 10:45:28 PM »
"I might add that my son David and I were fortunate enough to accompany David Tepper on a trip to Brora in September"

Shel -

It takes the arrival of an eminent personage such as yourself in the Highlands to get me to travel all the way from Dornoch to Brora.  ;)

"Let me know when you do David-I'm in"

Jeff -

You make the effort to meet me in Dornoch and I'll make the effort to accompany you to Wick, Reay & Durness. Just say when. ;)

DT  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:54:29 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 12:37:14 PM »

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 12:41:09 PM »
David,
was that photo taken before or after lunch ;) ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Rich Goodale

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Jeff

I'm sure that was after drugs.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back