News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Curtiss

Myrtle Beach golf suggestions
« on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:23 AM »
I will be in Myrtle beach from Jan 16-19 and will be playing the 2 courses that will be hosting the PGA professionals championship on one day.
The Dunes golf and beach resort and Grand Dunes.

I have never been to the area, does anyone have any suggestions of courses I should not miss or any hidden gems.

BCowan

Re: Myrtle Beach golf suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »
Caledonia is great.  Routing is awesome.  Unfortunately greens don't get enough sunshine and are in poor shape (10 years ago).  Definitely worth a play.  It's sister course True Blue is suppose to be really good.  Both are Stranz courses.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
Both are terrific. Dunes is RTJs best course, in my opinion, with Crag Burn a close second.

Grande Dunes resort course is very demanding, in a non-minimalist way. Lots of dramatic views and shots. However, they double-teed when I was there last year, which made the front nine 1.5 hours and the back nine 3 hours long.

Courses you should not miss: way south are Caledonia and True Blue (across the street from each other.) Both are Strantz and both among his five best (with Tobacco Road, Bulls Bay and MPCC-Shore rounding it out.)

I like the Heathlands course at Legends. I also like Glen Dornoch, way up north.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »
There have been many, many threads about this, so you may want to do a search and see what you can come up with.  But Caledonia and True Blue make a great 36 hole day if you can manage it.  They are right across the street from each other in Pawleys Island.

Other PERSONAL favorites, in no particular order:
   Barefoot Love
   Pearl West
   Legends Heathland and Parkland (NOT Moorland!)
   Tidewater
   Thistle
   Rivers Edge
   Wildwing Avocet

There are many others that are a good value and good golf.

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
Everyone already mentioned Caledonia and True Blue....I'd suggest the same.  Just a heads-up if you do it though...Caledonia doesn't have a range, so if you want to loosen up a little before, you have to save a little extra time and do it at True Blue.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
Both are terrific. Dunes is RTJs best course, in my opinion, with Crag Burn a close second.

Grande Dunes resort course is very demanding, in a non-minimalist way. Lots of dramatic views and shots. However, they double-teed when I was there last year, which made the front nine 1.5 hours and the back nine 3 hours long.

Courses you should not miss: way south are Caledonia and True Blue (across the street from each other.) Both are Strantz and both among his five best (with Tobacco Road, Bulls Bay and MPCC-Shore rounding it out.)

I like the Heathlands course at Legends. I also like Glen Dornoch, way up north.

Ronald,
I almost added Glen Dornoch to my list, but the last three holes are kind of deal breakers for me, strange as that may sound.  I wouldn't really mind 17 if it wasn't sandwiched in two really weird holes, but it is.  16 is just awful, and I've never quite figured out how to play 18 even after 8 or 10 rounds.

But putting that aside, I still go back most years when I'm at MB.  It is otherwise a very good golf course, and I'm sure some people like the finish. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Keith Grande

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
I assume you'll be staying in North Myrtle, courses which are within 20 miles would be Glen Dornoch, Legends Heathland (Doak), Shaftesbury Glen, also Barefoot Dye.

Some other good options on the South Strand have been mentioned as well (Caledonia/True Blue).

Make sure you bring warm layers, it can be a bit cold this time of year.

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:38:16 AM »
Legends Heathland and TPC Myrtle would be my choices.  If you're playing down in Pawley's Island area make sure to hit Hog Heaven BBQ...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
Thanks for the Food suggestion.

didnt want to go off golf topic and ask for food advice,but I appreciate the suggestion...will definately be in Pawleys

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:54:04 AM »

didnt want to go off golf topic and ask for food advice,but I appreciate the suggestion...will definately be in Pawleys

THE best MB golf advice I can give you:

True Blue in the am, as early as possible.  Pick your tees carefully, probably the third set.  Arrange for the afternoon replay rate at Caledonia, and go over there and eat lunch; the food is wonderful.  Afternoon round at Caledonia, dinner at Hog Heaven.

You may decide not to come home.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
I will be eating at HOG HEAVEN  for sure now...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

Make sure to try their vegetarian stir fry. It's gluten and fat free and not to be missed. Pair it with their own blend of organic chicory and fennel tea, and finish with a desert of dry roasted almonds for a meal you won't soon forget.

Peter

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
I liked Caledonia as well as Legends Heathland and Legends Moorland. If I was to go back I would probably play Dunes Club and True Blue. Unfortunately, many of the courses in MB are average at best.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 04:09:59 PM »
That is what I have heard as well..

Didnt know if anyone had any hidden gem that maybe isnt so known.

thanks for the info though

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 05:41:47 PM »

Make sure to try their vegetarian stir fry. It's gluten and fat free and not to be missed. Pair it with their own blend of organic chicory and fennel tea, and finish with a desert of dry roasted almonds for a meal you won't soon forget.

They have vittles like that at a place called Hog Heaven?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Avram

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »

THE best MB golf advice I can give you:

True Blue in the am, as early as possible.  Pick your tees carefully, probably the third set.  Arrange for the afternoon replay rate at Caledonia, and go over there and eat lunch; the food is wonderful.  Afternoon round at Caledonia, dinner at Hog Heaven.

You may decide not to come home.

Caledonia and True Blue are two of my favorites anywhere.  With all respect to Mr. Doak and C&C, Mike Strantz is still my favorite designer.  He left us way too early.

Rob Curtiss

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
I wont say he is my favorite designer,but I loved MPCC-shore course. It is the only one of his I have played.

seems to be a consensus that Caledonia and True Blue are to be played.

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »
Rob,

I have been going for 20 + years, sometimes 3x per year so...all depends on where you are staying.

North:  Dunes is a must play, followed by Tidewater.  Glen Dornoch is exceptional.  Rivers Edge is a very good Palmer course.  Great views and fun to play.  Barefoot gets a lot of attention.  I think the Dye course is the best, followed by Fazio.  If you took away the faux ruins, Love would be forgettable.  Norman course is on the best piece of land and good for a Norman, but not great.

South:  As others have mentioned, Caledonia and True Blue are must plays.  Caledonia is reaaaaaally easy and you should shoot a good number.  True Blue is tough and one of my favorite layouts on the Strand.  Pace is almost always 5 hours so budget for it.  TPC of MB is also very good.  2nd tier, but still great are Pawleys Plantation and Legends - Heritage.  Also, Debordieu (Dye) and Wachesaw (Fazio) might be options although they are private.  The Private Norman down south is a forgettable round.

Middle/Heart of Myrtle:  Grande Dunes is reaaaaaaallly modern, not much character, but in good shape.  I personally don't care for the layout.  The Legends resort with 3 courses is usually mentioned, but none of the courses would crack my personal top 15 on the Strand.  The best is Parkland, hugely influenced/built by Strantz. Moorland is a bit tricked up but memorable.  Heathland, a bit bland.

I hope this helps you. 
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:42:46 PM »
The best is Parkland, hugely influenced/built by Strantz.

Mr. Doak could let us know how much of the routing is his. He can also let us know how much of Mike Strantz is at Parkland. It might have been the bunkers (http://myrtlebeachgolf.golfholiday.com/blog/myrtle-beach-golf-news/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-parkland-at-legends-resort) and it might be more.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »
Ronald,

I used to contribute heavily to a Myrtle Beach forum.  Mr. Young's son (Danny) used to attend forum outings occassionaly as well as comment on his courses.  I honestly don't know how much Strantz is in Parkland.  It looks much more bland than his solo projects, but I would have to dig but...do remember a long interview at some point with the Young's talking about Mike Strantz.
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 09:54:44 PM »
True Blue, Caledonia and the Dunes Golf & Beach Club are the best of MB.  After that there are a number of courses that you might consider if you will be in the area for awhile, many of which have been mentioned. Of those not mentioned above:

Heather Glen (which is across  Highway 17 from Glen Dornoch) has wider fairways and a more consistent routing than Glen Dornoch and their clubhouse is  modeled after the Lundin Golf Club Clubhouse in Lundin Links, Fife. That building is likely the closest thing to Scotland you'll find in MB

Prestwick, a Pete and PB Dye course with a little quirkiness

Barefoot Dye - Pete Dye's course and my favorite of the 4 at Barefoot

The Witch and Willbrook Plantation, (both Dan Maples courses...they never play firm, although MB courses overall rarely do)

P1010770 - Lundin GC #18 green r

Heather Glen White #9

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:37 PM »

Peter

POTY
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
It's Caledonia for sure.

I suggest Legends Moorland as the sleeper.

WW

Tim Leahy

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »
I really enjoyed Nicklaus' Long Bay but that was 20 years ago. Any thoughts from the MB regulars?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
It's Caledonia for sure.

I suggest Legends Moorland as the sleeper.

WW

Wade, with all due respect, you are THE first person to EVER put Moorlands in any sort of good list at MB.  The only way it is a sleeper is that PB Dye might be put to sleep for the design.  That's a little harsh, but not much; it is a distant third in its own complex!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back